7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2016 2:27 PM by alessandror50255242

Lightroom HDR's doesn't work!

alessandror50255242

Hello everyone (sorry for my english),

I tried to make an HDR starting with 3 photos in lightroom using "photoMerge" -> "HDR" then I choose my settings and it makes my new HDR file, then normal postproduction. This file should contain more information in the lights and in the shadows than one of the previous ones. To check if really it has all this informations I did exactly the same post production (exposure, hightlights, shadows, black, white, clarity, vibrance, ... ) on one of the first three images and I get the same result, no difference! So I think it doesn't work. If I can reach the same result without all this process, why i should use it? I have maybe some settings in the wrong way. Can you help me?

• 1. Re: Lightroom HDR's doesn't work!
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

How did you expose the three shots - how much difference in exposure?

Please post a screenshot of the three images in Library like this:

hdr-3shots.png

• 2. Re: Lightroom HDR's doesn't work!
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Taking multiple exposures of a normal-dynamic-range scene does not make it a high-dynamic-range scene.  A single raw file has more highlight and shadow detail then what you can see with the standard adjustments so it may very well be that you can adjust the mid-tone image of an attempted HDR sequence and have it look similar to the same adjustment of the HDR-result.

In other words the entire dynamic range of the scene might well be captured in a single exposure and you don't need to use HDR.

Without seeing what you're working with it's hard to know whether this applies to your scenario or not.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Lightroom HDR's doesn't work!
              alessandror50255242 Level 1

Thank you I understand what you explain me, but now my question is: why I should use HDR if I can do the same with a single RAW?

Maybe it depends by the scene that I'm taking? You are telling me that I need to find a scene with a wider dynamic-range, isn't it?Schermata 2016-07-26 alle 01.39.42.jpg

(I have a lot of examples, but all the time I get the same result: no difference betwin a "single raw" and "multiples exposures")

• 4. Re: Lightroom HDR's doesn't work!

Thank you Per Berntsen for the answer. I'm not working on a single image that doesn't works, but I finally write here because all the images "don't work"(I mean that are the same of a raw file). I tried with 3 images and 1 stop of difference, then 5 images and 1 stop of difference, then 3 images with 2/3 of stop of difference... When I use lightroom it give me the same result, if I use Photomatix or AuroraHDR it works well!

Here are some examples.

Schermata 2016-07-26 alle 01.41.12.jpgSchermata 2016-07-26 alle 01.43.20.jpg

• 5. Re: Lightroom HDR's doesn't work!
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is exactly as expected. If you use the same processing on the HDR image you will get close to the same result as on the main raw image especially if your scene doesn't actually contain much dynamic range. You need to be more aggressive with Lightroom's HDR tools, which are highlights, shadows, blacks and whites and the local adjustments in order to see more range being accessible. Your images above don't really seem to be situations where merging will give you much so you probably won't get much benefit so you're unlikely to see much difference.

Note that tools like Photomatix do this more aggressive processing for you in their tone mapping functions.

• 6. Re: Lightroom HDR's doesn't work!
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you notice, Per's images had the shot parameters showing in the margin of the thumbnail.

Yours are blank so it's hard to tell what EV each is, but from the looks of it nothing is blown out white or dark-black in large areas of the first image so it seems to contain all the dynamic range of the scene, at least within the headroom of the raw file:

Here is how you can set the thumbnail view options:

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Lightroom HDR's doesn't work!

Thank you very much for explanations!