38 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 3:00 PM by Per Berntsen

lost adjustments when converting to LR CC

pats23322736

Hello.

I last used an old copy of LR - maybe 4-5.

I decided to try the new version of LR on Creative Cloud. However when it opened the catalog, it wanted to upgrade to the new format.

When this upgrade was complete, I found that my adjustments to each of the pictures was lost. Instead I would see 2,3,4,or 5 copies of the same file. They wold have names like...

foo.jpg

foo-1.jpg

or

foo.dng

foo-1.dng.

I presume my adjustments are in the files that end in -1 or -2 or -3, etc.

How can I recombine these images into a single entity for usage? I have way too many files to delete the originals and go with the -1, -2, and -3 versions as a new baseline.

Your help is appreciated.

all the best,

.pat styles

• 1. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
          dj_paige Level 9

Are you sure you upgraded the right catalog? Sounds like you upgraded a catalog that didn't have the edits. Look for different catalog files ... use your operating system's search feature to search for files whose name ends with .LRCAT.

• 2. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
            pats23322736 Level 1

Hello.

Yes, I did open an .lrcat file.

I have been working a while in this new file so I need to find some way to

fix it.

.p

• 3. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If you are using the same computer you had the older version of LR installed on that same version of LR you were using is still installed, along with the newer version of LR.

Open that older version and then go to the Edit menu item and select Catalog Settings (Ctrl+Alt+, (Comma) keyboard shortcut) and on the General tab at Location entry click the Show button to open the File Manager for your OS and show the location and name of the catalog the older version of LR is using.

Make note of that location and name, write it down, then make sure the newer version of LR has copied and converted that catalog to work with LR 6/2015.

• 4. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                pats23322736 Level 1

I do not have the older version of LR. My CD seems to have gone bad.

Is there some way to consolidate the multiple files or even accept losing

the edits, or better yet - the originals?

.p

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 3:59 AM Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                  dj_paige Level 9

Let's handle one issue at a time. Did you search for other catalog files that might have your previous edits?

• 6. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                    pats23322736 Level 1

Maybe we have a misunderstanding. I have the old catalog files, but I don't

have the older copy of LR to open them with. So how do I search them?

.p

• 7. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC

pats23322736 wrote:

So how do I search them?

.p

In your operating system using the Search feature. Spotlight on a Mac and the Search box in Windows/File Explorer.

• 8. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                        pats23322736 Level 1

Hello.

Yes. I have the catalogs. But I don't have an old copy of Lightroom to open

them with.

.p

• 9. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC

You can open them with the new LR version. The only thing that will happen is LR 6/2015 will make a copy of the catalogs then convert that copy to one that works with the new LR. It will leave the original catalog as it is.

You have to open each one, one at a time and give the new LR version the time to copy and convert it.

• 10. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                            pats23322736 Level 1

My problem is that when I do this, I end up with multiple copies of almost

every image. That seems to be because it did not recognize that the images

are edits of the original. This is my original problem.

.p

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 5:15 PM Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 11. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                              dj_paige Level 9

I have never heard of Lightroom upgrading a catalog and losing edits and creating multiple copies.

I still believe you have upgraded the wrong catalog, and if your search for catalog files finds more than one, you need to upgrade each one (use the Lightroom command File->Open Catalog) until you find the one that has your edits.

• 12. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

pats23322736 wrote:

I do not have the older version of LR. My CD seems to have gone bad.

If this is the same computer your previous LR version (4, 5?) was installed on you can use the Creative Cloud app to reinstall it. Click on the below icon on your desktop or quick launch bar.

Click on 'Apps' and then 'Previous Versions' as shown below. It should show your previous version with the word 'Install' next to it. Click on 'Install.' Once complete launch the previous LR version (4, 5 ?) and then open your previous catalogs one-at-a-time to find the catalog that has your edits. Write down the exact name and location of that catalog file and close LR. Launch the new LR CC 2015 version and go to File> Open Catalog select that specific file.

Click

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                  pats23322736 Level 1

Hello.

Before I started this, there were two catalogs. As you instructed, I opened

them both. And now there are four...

07/25/2016  10:12 PM   

07/25/2016 10:12 PM

07/25/2016 07:13 PM

lightroom-2-2 previews.lrdata
                                  07/25/2016 10:14 PM

lightroom-3 previews.lrdata

07/23/2013  08:33 AM       224,509,952 lightroom.lrcat

03/28/2015  11:35 AM       239,214,592 lightroom-2.lrcat

07/25/2016  10:10 PM       255,414,272 lightroom-2-2.lrcat

07/25/2016  10:14 PM       226,111,488 lightroom-3.lrcat

07/25/2016  10:12 PM                60 lightroom-3.lrcat.lock

07/25/2016  10:14 PM           320,624 lightroom-3.lrcat-journal

07/25/2016  12:40 AM            40,960 temporary import data.db

07/25/2016  12:40 AM             7,736 temporary import data.db-journal

8 File(s)    945,619,684 bytes

4 Dir(s)  1,532,879,716,352 bytes free

I think you can see from the file time/datestamps that there was an

original catalog that was updated to the -2 version on 03/28/2015. This is

the catalog that I opened and upgraded earlier today. This upgraded catalog

ends with -2-2. Then as per your instructions, I opened and upgraded the

older one and the converted file name ends with -3.

Both of the upgraded catalogs are showing double or more entries for many

if not most pictures.

01/19/2013  07:38 PM         9,396,656 l1040924-2.dng

01/19/2013  05:39 PM         9,037,406 l1040925.dng

01/19/2013  07:38 PM         9,037,310 l1040925-2.dng

01/19/2013  05:39 PM         9,997,534 l1040926.dng

01/19/2013  07:38 PM         9,997,438 l1040926-2.dng

01/19/2013  05:39 PM        11,073,914 l1040927.dng

01/19/2013  07:38 PM        11,073,818 l1040927-2.dng

01/19/2013  05:39 PM        11,479,456 l1040928.dng

01/19/2013  07:38 PM        11,479,360 l1040928-2.dng

01/19/2013  05:39 PM        11,461,828 l1040929.dng

01/19/2013  07:38 PM        11,461,732 l1040929-2.dng

01/19/2013  05:39 PM        11,463,452 l1040930.dng

01/19/2013  07:38 PM        11,463,356 l1040930-2.dng

01/19/2013  05:39 PM        10,362,602 l1040931.dng

01/19/2013  07:38 PM        10,362,506 l1040931-2.dng

01/19/2013  05:39 PM        11,393,860 l1040932.dng

01/19/2013  07:38 PM        11,393,764 l1040932-2.dng

01/19/2013  05:39 PM         9,872,048 l1040933.dng

01/19/2013  07:38 PM         9,871,952 l1040933-2.dng

01/19/2013  05:39 PM        10,416,672 l1040934.dng

01/19/2013  07:39 PM        10,416,576 l1040934-2.dng

01/19/2013  05:39 PM         9,273,616 l1040935.dng

01/19/2013  07:39 PM         9,273,522 l1040935-2.dng

So it does appear to be happening.

thanks,

.p

• 14. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                      dj_paige Level 9

How are you getting this list of photo names and dates? Lightroom does not have such a feature, as far as I know.

The dates indicate the duplication of files existed 3 years ago, that this is not a new thing.

• 15. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                        pats23322736 Level 1

I used a Windows command prompt to show the the actual files, i case that

would be of help.

.p

• 16. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                          dj_paige Level 9

and the files were created 3 years ago, not when you recently upgraded the catalog

Almost as if 3 years ago, you imported the files twice.

And now your catalog still has multiple copies because it had multiple copies 3 years ago. (This could also explain why one copy of the photos has edits and another copy does not...)

• 17. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                            pats23322736 Level 1

OK. How do I solve the problem? I have opened up the old catalogs and

upgraded them as you instructed.

.p

• 18. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                              dj_paige Level 9

For a specific image, does one of the copies of the photos have edits in Lightroom, and another copy have no edits in Lightroom?

• 19. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                pats23322736 Level 1

They both appear to be unedited in lightroom. As if lightroom counted the

edited file from an old catalog as a separate image.

.p

• 20. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                  pats23322736 Level 1

You can see a couple of these appear edited, but that is only becuase I

edited them today...

.p

• 21. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                    dj_paige Level 9

If they are both unedited, what does your second sentence mean, I don't understand.

Did you check all catalogs to see if you can find the edited versions of your photos?

• 22. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                      pats23322736 Level 1

I don't know what sentence you mean. I have sent two emails since your

previous email

How am I supposed to check the catalogs when Lightroom always shows the

photos that were edited before the upgrade as separate photos? I think the

picture I sent makes this clear.

The upgrade process has simply taken photos in the catalog that were edited

in a previous version of Lightroom and now represents each edited version

as a separate photo. How can I fix this?

thanks,

.p

• 23. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC

The above catalog file naming indicates you previously used an older version of LR (4?) and then sometime around 03/28/2015 you installed a LR upgrade (5?), which uses the lightroom-2.lrcat catalog. So the -2.lrcat catalog should contain all of your previous edits and the edits applied in the upgrade version.

Did you at anytime use the Export module to create copies of files? If so that would explain the duplicates. Please tell us what workflow you used for importing files, typical editing process, exporting, file backup if any, etc. Give us some typical examples because the duplicates and lost editing are not being caused by the LR CC 2015 catalog conversion.

• 24. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                          pats23322736 Level 1

Hello.

I exported to a separate directory that I kept for uploading to a file

server.

I import files from a known directory (like exporting) or a usb-based SSD

reader.

I do notice that there are subtle differences between the apparent

duplicate files in the upgraded catalog. That make me think they are edits.

Another reason I think they are edits - the files that are duplicated as

separate files are files that I remember editing. In the screenshot I sent

you, I can see a bunch of images that I edited years ago to straighten the

horizon. I doubt this is a coincidence.

How does Lightroom store edits to a file? By using the same file name and

adding a dash followed by a number? Or does it use a different system.

Maybe Lightroom 2 or 5 did this. I can't say. But I would like to fix it.

Is Lightroom drive letter sensitive? Maybe the drive letters have been

whacked from adding drives, but I don't think so. This is on drive E: which

is the first drive after the boot drive.

thanks,

.p

• 25. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                            dj_paige Level 9

You haven't sent any picture.

I was referring to the second sentence in this statement you made, which I don't understand:

They both appear to be unedited in lightroom. As if lightroom counted the

edited file from an old catalog as a separate image.

Also you say

I do notice that there are subtle differences between the apparent

duplicate files in the upgraded catalog. That make me think they are edits.

Can you confirm that these are the edited versions, by looking at the suspected edited photo in the Lightroom Develop Module, and seeing if there are indeed edits in the History Panel on the left.

• 26. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                              pats23322736 Level 1

Sorry.

I sent the picture as an email attachment. I am switching to your chat system now. This is the image...

2016-07-25 (3).png

I cannot confirm they are edited versions as you ask because Lightroom has at some point split an edited photo into two or more photos, each with no history other than being imported a couple of years ago.

.p

• 27. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                                dj_paige Level 9

Well, let's just stop saying that Lightroom has done some sort of split, because it hasn't. Lightroom doesn't do this. And we will never come to a solution if you think Lightroom does this.

You can confirm they are edited or not, by selecting an image and going to the Develop Module and looking in the History panel to see if there are actual edits shown. You do that for each version of the same image so if there are two of an image, you do it for both. And then you know if one is edited and one is not.

• 28. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                                  pats23322736 Level 1

OK. Then can you tell me what would cause Lightroom to take a file and copy it to a new file with a -2 added to the end?

I have an example of this today. I added a bunch of files from another hard disk location.

I manipulated some of the files. One of the files is now showing up twice on the hard disk, but the second copy has a file name ending with -2. They both have the same date, time, and size. In this case the file is only shown once in the Lightroom catalog (or so it seems from the UI). What would do this?

I am not running any programs that would write into the directory that Lightroom keeps the pictures. Under these circumstances, I can't see any other program doing this. Can the plug-ins do this? I have run the smugmug plug-in today.

Most important - If I delete a file from the disk outside of Lightroom, how will Lightroom react to this? Can the catalog be condensed of these extra pictures by simply deleting the extra files outside of the Lightroom UI and running some kind of recovery operation in Lightroom?

.p

• 29. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                                    dj_paige Level 9

If you import a photo twice, or move a photo into a folder where the same file name exists, Lightroom will add the -2 or -3 or whatever to the file name.

Could we stick to one topic please?

• 30. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                                      pats23322736 Level 1

Thank you. That would have been helpful information to give me.

Regardless, I am still on the original topic. Please review my original question.

I want to get rid of all the redundant pictures in my catalog. So I ask again...

"Most important - If I delete a file from the disk outside of Lightroom, how will Lightroom react to this? Can the catalog be condensed of these extra pictures by simply deleting the extra files outside of the Lightroom UI and running some kind of recovery operation in Lightroom?"

.p

• 31. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                                        dj_paige Level 9

pats23322736 wrote:

"Most important - If I delete a file from the disk outside of Lightroom, how will Lightroom react to this? Can the catalog be condensed of these extra pictures by simply deleting the extra files outside of the Lightroom UI and running some kind of recovery operation in Lightroom?"

If you are going to delete a file(s), you do it from within Lightroom, and select "Delete From Disk", which effectively deletes the file(s) from Lightroom and your hard disk. One operation, you get it deleted from both places. If you do it the other way, you delete a file from the hard disk outside of Lightroom, then you have to go into Lightroom and delete it as well, that's two operations for each delete.

• 32. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                                          pats23322736 Level 1

I think we are dealing with about 3000+ file deletions. Could be much more.

My experiments with Lightroom "find" feature show that it is probably not up to the task. It would be great if it took wildcards like *-1.*, but it doesn't. I could write a command script that could do this at the file system level.

Obviously I cannot do what you suggest. Are you sure Lightroom has no mechanism to hunt the pictures that don't have matching files?

I am going to presume that some pictures got imported more than once and Lightroom added the files to the disk structure but not the catalog - just as you described. Then sometime (maybe in an upgrade at or before 2013), Lightroom chose to add those extra files as pictures in the catalog. It would sure be nice to have a way to recover from this error.

• 33. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                                            dj_paige Level 9

pats23322736 wrote:

Then sometime (maybe in an upgrade at or before 2013), Lightroom chose to add those extra files as pictures in the catalog.

Lightroom doesn't choose to do anything. It only performs the tasks that the user tells it to perform. Sometimes, the user may accidentally select the wrong task (we have all clicked on the wrong thing in our life) or not understand what the task actually is, but Lightroom is not doing anything by itself.

Lightroom's search feature should find file names that contain -1 for example. You type it in without quotes, without wild cards and I don't think you need the period after the numeral 1.

In your screen capture above, there is one image (number 710) that has edits. Are these the edits from years ago that you want to preserve, or not?

• 34. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                                              pats23322736 Level 1

You don't seriously think I manually added those files to the catalog, do you? It must have been done by some sort of software operation.

You have recently identified what process probably added the files to the hard disk - redundant importing. However this does not explain how they got into the catalog. If you can also tell me what sort of user-error would put them all in the catalog, that would also be helpful.

• 35. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                                                dj_paige Level 9

When you import a photo a 2nd time, this is exactly what happens. There are now two copies on your hard disk and your Lightroom catalog references both copies.

• 36. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC

Not only did you import them twice you copied them from a camera memory card 2 times. LR will only do the adding of a -2(Number) when the original file already exists.

And like pointed out those files were created back in 2013 not when you upgraded the catalog in  2016.

• 37. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC

pats23322736 wrote:

My experiments with Lightroom "find" feature show that it is probably not up to the task. It would be great if it took wildcards like *-1.*, but it doesn't.

Using -2. works for me with the following settings:

If you want something more comprehensive look at this LR plugin that compares the EXIF data:

Lightroom Plugins - Duplicate Finder for Lightroom

• 38. Re: lost adjustments when converting to LR CC
                                                                                      Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Looking at your screenshot, every other image has an exclamation mark on it, indicating that LR can't find the image.

And several of those have been edited, indicated by the +/- icon. Since the filenames aren't displayed it's impossible to know if it's the -2 files that are missing or not.

There's probably a way out of this, but you want to make sure that you don't lose your edits.

It's getting very late here, so hopefully the other guys have some suggestions ...