5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 10:10 AM by joebishop

How to manage and sequence the source photos in Lightroom Book module?

joebishop Level 1

I recently switched from Aperture to Lightroom CC 2015 for Mac and I'm putting together a photobook of 200+ photos.

I've grouped these 200+ photos into 50 subfolders in the Library module to reflect the intended sequence or grouping of photos (eg 50 photobook pages).  My question is:  What is the best way for this folder structure to be reflected or available in the Book module?  Do I need to tediously create a "collection" to match each Library sub-folder?  If I combine all 50 folders into a single collection, or view "All Photos" in the filmstrip, then I lose the folder groupings and it the filmstrip becomes hard to manage.  Can I restrict or filter the photos in the filmstrip to be only those in a certain Library sub-folder?  Perhaps I create a keyword for each group of photos and manage them that way?  The desired sequence does not correspond to chronological or file name order.

So any advice on how to sequence a photobook with 200+ photos (which are grouped in 50 Library sub-folders) would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to manage and sequence the source photos in Lightroom Book module?
          dj_paige Level 9

As far as I know, folders are useless when creating a book in Lightroom. The photos need to be in a single collection. Within the collection you can sequence the photos any way you want them to be sequenced. alternatively, once you begin creating the book, you can move photos around within the book, thus creating the sequence that way.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to manage and sequence the source photos in Lightroom Book module?
            joebishop Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply.  The best solution I've found so far is to drag and drop the Library Folders into Collections, thus creating new Collections with the same photos as each folder.  Then in the Book Module you can control and simplify which photos show up in the overcrowded filmstrip by using filters. This way I end up having a Collection for each page or few pages in the photo book.

• 3. Re: How to manage and sequence the source photos in Lightroom Book module?
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My preference is to drag photos into a collection in Library, then to create sections/chapters by stacking photos within that collection (in Lightroom you can have different stacking in different folders/collections). These stacks give me an overview of the book's flow, and I'll expand or contract stacks to change the order of photos in a section, drag stacks around to reorder the book - and only then will I really go to Book.

• 4. Re: How to manage and sequence the source photos in Lightroom Book module?
                dj_paige Level 9

joebishop wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. The best solution I've found so far is to drag and drop the Library Folders into Collections, thus creating new Collections with the same photos as each folder. Then in the Book Module you can control and simplify which photos show up in the overcrowded filmstrip by using filters. This way I end up having a Collection for each page or few pages in the photo book.

This is incredible redundant and I don't see the usefulness of them. One collection would work as well, rather than many collections mirroring your folders.

• 5. Re: How to manage and sequence the source photos in Lightroom Book module?
                  joebishop Level 1

I agree that creating 40+ different Collections to create my Book is not a simple solution.  Is there any way to have the filmstrip in Book module show all and only the photos in the selected Collection (both those used and unused in the Book)?  For me the filmstrip includes both the selected Collection and the photos used in the book, which is too many to be visually useful. 

John, thanks for suggesting stacking, which I find helpful when organising in Library mode, but apparently the photo order doesn't carry through to the Filmstrip in Book module???