11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2016 1:02 PM by pamr12349762

Printing odd size pages

pamr12349762

I am trying to print an InDesign document that is 6inx11in and can not find a way to change the page sizes to fit my needs.

• 1. Re: Printing odd size pages
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can not change the size of your printer output except unless you're using a PostScript printer with a PPD that enables custom page sizes.

Otherwise, you need to choose from the pre-built printer page sizes in your printer driver.

• 2. Re: Printing odd size pages
            pamr12349762 Level 1

Thank you for your answer even though I don't like it.  I am just making the shift from QuarkXPress and must say Quark has ID beat on that point!!!

• 3. Re: Printing odd size pages
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

pamr12349762 wrote:

Quark has ID beat on that point!!!

Well uh, not really. Every word of Steve's post is true no matter what application is the source. According to your original post, InDesign already facilitated the design of the 11 x 6 page. That's all either InDesign or Quark can do. Changing the print-paper size is not a function of either, but rather of your printer driver. Are you saying your printer will actually physically handle 11 x 6 paper, and that you're actually loading sheets of that size in a tray? If that's the case, then the printer driver should also support the size, and any failure to do so is unrelated to InDesign.

• 4. Re: Printing odd size pages
                pamr12349762 Level 1

I can change the print size on my printer in Quark but not in InDesign so maybe it is the way each program communicates with the printer but same printer - both documents - Quark will print it - InDesign won't - at least that I have been able to find.

• 5. Re: Printing odd size pages

pamr12349762 wrote:

Quark will print it - InDesign won't

I don't understand. I'm afraid I'd need you to be very specific about how and why InDesign "fails" to print. InDesign will indeed of course print the file, even if it won't allow you to specify a fictitious sheet size. (Why would it allow that?)

In any case, and even if you didn't appear to be encountering a problem, my advice would be to export a PDF from InDesign and print from Acrobat.

Again, you're not actually loading 11 x 6 sheets of paper into the printer, are you?

• 6. Re: Printing odd size pages
                    pamr12349762 Level 1

InDesign will print but on a letter size (or another of their presets), I am printing onto perforated post card stock 6x11.  If I print and don't change the paper size, only half of the text shows up because it prints on the side of the page that isn't there.  The printer pulls the guides toward the center to allow for a more narrow paper size. 

And yes, I am loading 6 x 11 sheets because that is what I need to print on.

Why should I have to go through another program to print a document just because the makers of the program don't see a need to use papers other than what they foresee a need for?

• 7. Re: Printing odd size pages

pamr12349762 wrote:

And yes, I am loading 6 x 11 sheets because that is what I need to print on.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I wrongly suspected that wasn't the case.

Why should I have to go through another program to print a document just because the makers of the program don't see a need to use papers other than what they foresee a need for?

Well, if you reread my post that isn't really what I advised; or at least I tried to frame it as a generalization, rather than a direct way to address your problem; or as you put it, "just because the makers...". And, I suppose to longer-term InDesign users, Acrobat isn't regarded as "another program" but rather like an output-tool-extension of InDesign. Export-to-PDF > Print offers additional features and levels of control from which most print-output workflows benefit significantly. I don't think I've printed directly from InDesign in over 9 years that I can remember.

Anyway, the other point that was sort of made but lost here is that paper-size support is actually a function of your printer driver; rather than your page layout program. It could be true that the Quark Print dialog offered you an easier avenue to that aspect of the printer driver features than does InDesign, but if the printer (and presumably the driver), do truly support a 6 x 11 sheet size, you can get there in InDesign (or preferably Acobat) via the Print dialog's Setup button.

• 8. Re: Printing odd size pages
                        pamr12349762 Level 1

I have tried your various suggestions and nothing makes it happen.  I set the dimensions of the paper in the printer dialog box but it still tries to print as if it were letter size.  On InDesign those options are grayed out - either 'custom' or 'user defined.'

I work at a church and make bulletins (printed) each week as well as send out post cards to various members that do not use email.  This is rather frustrating to not be able to print the cards from the program.

At least with your help I can see that I'm not just missing an option.  I really appreciate your assistance.  Thank you.

• 9. Re: Printing odd size pages

Well, I'd still maintain that it can be done (prints can be made). I've solved dozens of problems like this, but it must be understood that properly engineered software will not support a specific sheet size unless the printer driver does as well. When you choose the printer in the InDesign Print dialog, the Paper Size menu is populated with supported sheet sizes by the printer driver. In other words, the sizes presented are not built into InDesign, but rather InDesign quite responsibly allows only the sizes the printer supports by porting the driver's supported sizes. If the printer and its driver don't implicitly support your non-standard 6 x 11 postcard size, there is no way InDesign can either. And, even if it appeared that Quark offered a way to do it, I suspect there was some trickery involved, (Or, as Steve mentioned in reply #1, there was a PPD for your printer available to Quark. but now InDesign doesn't see it.)

What OS are you running? What is the printer make/model?

• 10. Re: Printing odd size pages
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I suggest you try clicking the printer setup button in the print dialog to access the printer driver, then enter your page size in the driver dialog size area. When you return to the InDesign print dialog, choose Defined by Driver for the page size.

• 11. Re: Printing odd size pages
                              pamr12349762 Level 1

THANK YOU - the 'Defined by Driver' was the key - I had been using the 'User Defined' but it worked!!!!  Thanks guys for your patience and your help!!!