Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Android App

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I need to create a Android App that access my Business Catalyst Database. How to begin? What tools and language i will use to develop this app?

Thanks

Flavio Oliveira

TOPICS
Developer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- You will need to develop your android app

- Your app will need to communicate with a service you create

- The service you have talks to the BC site

Authentication and API work here will be needed. BC's fully public API is its SOAP API.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Thanks, but my question is more specific. How can I expose data from my BC site so it can be accessed from my Android App?

The documentation is not very clear, nor are the available samples.

Thanks!

Flavio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a lot of reference stuff:

CampaignList_Retrieve | Business Catalyst Support

But I think yourself asking the question means this may not be something for you to undertake.

You will need to have your own server to communicate and authenticate the requests and pull data to your app.

Your android app development depends on what you are using to code it etc, you doing native, you doing a c#/.net migration process, java, a platform like phoneGap?

It will all depend on your setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I developed an android and iOS app backed with BC data. I made simple pages to output the data I needed using liquid and json=true in the querystring to get JSON. For most things you can make your own API and query it that way. There are limits to this method but it works. If you wish to use the SOAP API you could bake your username and password into the app but I would not recommend it as you would exposure yourself if someone decompiled your code. Use a middle man server as Liam suggested.

Any development tools will work, if you are familiar with HTML and javascript I recommend Cordova or Phonegap with jQuery mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not very secure that though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its quite secure, only use HTTPs, put the pages in a secure zone and can only access them until the user is logged in (in the app as well). People are not going to guess the URLs, even if they sniff the router traffic to see the URLs they still need to be logged in to get the data. In my situation anyone that was logged in was able to see all the data anyway.

It also depends on the the app requirements, but this worked for what I needed to do and was secure. Every site / app is different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good I know not to do this knowing some things with BC then

We will never do apps this way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, I'm working on my website with liquid tags and am studying PhoneGap and Cordoba to develop my application. Initially I thought of using the dynamic access to data, but analyzing my development needs, will replicate data in BC to a local file because the data flow is very small in the application.

In many cases, the users needs to access data, but this data in app don´t change. But i will in this direction, to access data in Adobe BC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines