Are you using your mouse's scroll wheel? I've found that sometimes Adobe products react badly to their use.
No, I am not using the scroll wheel, just click-dragging the mouse to highlight text.
I've been experiencing the same thing as simonbetc, so I'm jumping in here and sharing my 'Rename Project' dialog.
...not sure what difference this dialog makes - my RH freezes every day, when I'm in the HTML editor, regardless of which project I'm working on. It's been like this for years, including pre-11. I just live with it. ...and when I say "every day", that's no exaggeration.
Not sure if simonblotofnumbers is experiencing this as well, but the symptoms include;
- RH can freeze entirely, or
- You can click around the RH menus, and you get visual feedback to suggest that the buttons/menus are working okay, but nothing you click on appears to activate i.e. you can click to your heart's content, but the screen remains frozen on the open HTML editor.
- When you go into Windows Task Manager to force the closure of RH, the Task Manager thinks that RH is working just fine. In other words, you might expect it to say "Not Responding", but it doesn't.
- This issue appears to happen when I'm selecting text within the HTML editor. It doesn't happen at random - I have to be actively playing with content in the HTML Editor.
I'm afraid I can't post the dialog. The path to the RoboHelp project contains a commercially-sensitive product name.
Hi Simon - is the project on your C:\ drive in some (relatively) short file path? Or someplace else?
It's on my C:\ drive.
The (redacted) path name is:
(Where 'xxxxxxxx' is the product name and 'yyy' is the RoboHelp Project folder).
Ahhh okay. I was somewhat expecting to see that the drive letter was something other than C:... which would indicate a possible network drive being used. Looks like we can rule that out.
I'm always amused at how "careful" authors can be with product names and such. I'm guessing the only way folks actually become aware of a product like this is via some "secret handshake" along with signing a very restrictive NDA before being given the opportunity to purchase the product. I've never heard of an instance where someone was able to use a product name to somehow cause misfortune if it became known. But that's just me. As you may have surmised, I tend to throw caution to the wind.
WRT: ...not sure what difference this dialog makes...
The dialog is simply an easy way to know exactly where the project is located. If a project is located on a network drive, there are quite often latency issues that cause it to behave slowly. Wanna watch RoboHelp literally freeze often and crawl while you are working on it? Try putting a project on a USB stick and working with it that way!
So the end result is that it's just an easy way to identify that particular known trouble spot.
symmetricalMan I wonder if the underscore at the start of Master in your path could be causing issues for you? It shouldn't, but you never know...
Or maybe it's some interaction between SVN and your antivirus? I know years ago we had to get a special setup on our antivirus. I can't remember the exact details, but I think we got it to only scan on check out? (or maybe only on checkin? something along those lines, anyway. you might be able to find a post on it, if your google-fu is good enough )
Thanks for the suggestion, Amebr, but the underscore isn't it.
*I just put the underscore in that directory name so that it'll appear at the top of my list.
I've got a bunch of other helps, in other directories, and they all freeze from time-to-time.
It may be the antivirus. I'll run it by IT Support here.
Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I often switch between the Design and HTML views, and that seems to bring about the crash behavior.
I think the fault lies somewhere in a piece of software the devs use to build the ribbon menu interface. The error messages I receive point to ToolkitPro1640vc100U.dll.