7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 8:38 AM by Abambo

Quality concern when converting EPS to AI format

sebastiaanvdwijngaert

Due to performance issues on rendering text heavy EPS files, we would like to convert our illustrations to AI format, which is a lot faster in rendering than EPS in InDesign.

Does anyone know whether the file conversion from EPS to AI would have any impact on the quality / content of the image?

An official stands on this would be brilliant.

Rgds/sebastiaan

• 1. Re: Quality concern when converting EPS to AI format
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Live text, outlined text, and vector elements will be unchanged by simply opening an EPS file and saving as AI. Any raster effects or elements in the mix will be subject to the inescapable mathematical limitations of resolution, as always, so be sure to assume control of that where possible.

• 2. Re: Quality concern when converting EPS to AI format
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I suspect the official line is Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF (or EPS) editor and the only files that can be reliably opened for editing are those created in Illustrator.

That said, Illy is pretty good at opening EPS files, and you'll seldom have a problem (other than missing fonts), but there may be occasions when text rendered with different spacing, or as point text instead of strings, or even other problems, so check carefully.

• 3. Re: Quality concern when converting EPS to AI format
              Abambo Adobe Community Professional

I never had a problem with standard EPS files, like vector graphics. But I had problems at the time with my very old folder designs in Ventura an exported to EPS. My solution was to send them through distiller and create a PDF.

As I have been told, InDesign anyhow prefers PDF files.

• 4. Re: Quality concern when converting EPS to AI format
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Illustrator is not a common EPS nor PDF editor. Only those files which have been created in Illustrator with the Illustrator Editability should be opened in Illustrator, any other file can suffer damage.

Thus said, it is not good to use any PostScript in modern days.

What I recommend:

1. If you know, the file was created in Illustrator, open it there and save as PDF/X-4 and place that in InDesign. Or AI.
                2. If you don't know the program or you don't have the creator of the EPS, open Acrobat Distiller, create a job setting which makes no resampling of images and no compression and convert those EPS to PDF, take care, that all fonts are available and will be embedded.
                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Quality concern when converting EPS to AI format

Willi Adelberger wrote:

Illustrator is not a common EPS nor PDF editor.

Even if it isn't, I did a lot of EPS and PDF edits in Illustrator. It's the best editor I have at my disposal and nobody told me, that I was not supposed to do it and so it worked. But to be honest, not all my edits went straight. And I didn't blame Adobe for it.

• 6. Re: Quality concern when converting EPS to AI format
                    John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right.

While no one can responsibly recommend opening PDF/EPS files of unknown origin in Illustrator, or characterize doing so as a supported workflow, and Adobe can't be held accountable for the result, if editing or conversion of the file is a true need, there is no reason not to try it. You may encounter font/type engine hangups, 'expanded' gradients or effects, deeply nested clipping masks, and/or other weirdness that leaves the artwork damaged or still-unusable, but your computer won't explode, or melt, or anything. If it doesn't work out, you're no worse off.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Quality concern when converting EPS to AI format

Let's get it this way: Adobe makes great efforts to get things working they do not support!