• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glitch when printing to PDF

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an autonumbered paragraph and the numbers are underlined by applying a character style to the Autonumber Format, thus:

Capture1.JPG

When this is printed to PDF a small line/dot is added just before the text (this doesn't happen when printing to paper):

Capture2.JPG

Although this doesn't show in the Framemaker window, even when fully zoomed in, it can be made to appear if a space is added after the tab character in the Autonumber Format box:

Capture3 copy.jpgCapture4.JPG

Does anybody have any previous experience with this and therefore a solution? (I did try searching the forum but couldn't find anything).

I am using Framemaker 2015 with Acrobat XI.

Update: I have Framemaker 10 installed on the same PC and doing the same thing on that does not show the problem.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: Steven Clark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?If it's still happening after applying the patches to FM2015, I'd use the bug base to report it, giving samples of the FM10 doc that works & the FM2015 one that doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks.

Steven Clark

Senior Technical Author/Illustrator

(contact information removed. See Email signatures and personal information )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve.  Did you ever find a solution to this?  I have the identical issue with Frame 2015 and Acrobat XI.  I never had this issue with previous versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not managed to find a solution, so I have submitted a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on a simple test I ran lately (with FM7), FM implements underlining by drawing, beneath the text span, a filled rectangle (as least as it deconstructs in Illustrator).

This suggests that FM thinks that there's some sort of very narrow character at the positions represented by the tabs. It might be interesting to extract the text from the PDF and examine it in a hex editor (or by some other means that can report character code point values), and see if there's indeed a text character there, and what it is. An example might be the Unicode
ZERO WIDTH SPACE
\u200b
UTF-8: 0xE2 0x80 0x8B

Knowing that would help the coders debug it; and this does seem to be a bug. Not having FM15, I can't run this test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Would it be possible for you to send us your shortened file - that exhibits the issue?

Thanks,

Amit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I insert a file? I can only see 'Insert Image' and 'Insert Video'. I have added a bug report to the system (Bug 4186133) which contains instructions on how to make a file with the behaviour I described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Amit!  I can email you a shortened native and PDF sample file of the issue, assuming your handle is indeed your Adobe email address as it appears.  For myself, a tick mark appears in the distilled PDF wherever a tab or return is placed in the Framemaker 2015 file, that has conditional text formatting applied to it (i.e., underscore, strike-through, etc.) 

It's been suggested that we simply not apply any formatting to those tabs and returns, however when we are formatting and editing thousands of documents, and need to apply changes to large blocks of text and are searching by character format to do so, it's a bit of a hassle to go back and make those changes to so many documents.  For us, this wasn't an issue with previous versions of Framemaker, and we've not changed any of our formatting habits or font usage.  We're just curious as to if it's a distilling issue with Acrobat, or is it within Framemaker 2015.  I did try importing one of my affected PDFs into a HEX editor, but honestly, I'm apparently not smart enough to figure out how to interpret what I'm seeing

Capture.PNG

Amit, I'll go ahead and email you a sample PDF, and it's corresponding Framemaker 2015 native file.

They are on their way, and I can followup with any replies here, so all can benefit from the knowledge. 
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines