22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 7:31 AM by mateuszb66553063

Index Page

mateuszb66553063

Hey Everyone ! I have a question about Index in Indesign. I am new to it, and I am trying to figure out something. I've watched some of the tutorials in youtube, but it aint helping exactly in the way that I want.

I am designing a catalogue that's 300 pages long, with all different product brands. I wanted to have an Index page, that will update along with my changes in the catalogue. I know how can I link the Index to pages and so on, but when I create it, I would like to have the page number in Heading only, rather then subheading.

So basically I want my Index to look something like this (Example) :

Nivea......pg03-13

• Make up
      • Cosmetics

Loreal.....pg14-21

• Hair Products

Dove.....pg22-31

• Toiletries

Instead of the one above I am getting the page numbers beside subheading which does not work for me. (Example underneath)

Nivea

• Make up - pg03-13
      • Cosmetics - pg03-13

Loreal

• Hair Products - pg14-21

Dove

• Toiletries pg22-31

Can anyone tell me how could i make index like the first one ? Thanks !

• 1. Re: Index Page
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you place your second level entries, use Suppress Page Range

Screenshot 2016-07-26 12.13.12.png

• 2. Re: Index Page
            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi Susan,

I don't understand what you mean!

• 3. Re: Index Page

for the first example, there would need to be an Index entry for just Nivea. As long as all the text is threaded, and the paragraph style for the first occurrence of Nivea is not used again until the next brand name, the page range would be entered by setting the type to To Next Use of Style. The second-level entires have the type set to Suppress Page Number.

Screenshot 2016-07-26 13.17.15.png Screenshot 2016-07-26 13.21.42.png

The result, after setting different paragraph styles for the index listings, is this

Screenshot 2016-07-26 13.21.48.png

• 4. Re: Index Page

OK!    [ nice way to treat the question! ]

• 5. Re: Index Page
                  mateuszb66553063 Level 1

In fact it doesn't work. I can't make 2nd line Suppress page Range, because as I am changing that, the first row change's to it as well, so I am still stuck with my problem

When i change it to Suppress Page Range, I don't have page number anywhere, either on subheading or heading.

• 6. Re: Index Page

You need separate index markers. (see my example).

The one for Nivea has a page range, the ones with Nivea and a subheading have it suppressed. 

As long as the spelling on the Nivea only marker and the Nivea plus subhead marker are exactly the same, you will get the results that I showed.

• 7. Re: Index Page
                      mateuszb66553063 Level 1

Yay perfect it's working ! Can you also tell me if I can get rid of the letters (example underneath)

N      <---- get rid of this

Nivea 3-13

-Skincare

and how can I set it by page numbers rather them by alphabetical order ?

Thanks for your help anyway !

• 8. Re: Index Page

There is a checkbox to include (or not) the section headers.

I don't know of a way to get a page-number ordered list out of the index function. That's usually done with the TOC function. I haven't delved deeply into the capabilities of TOC, so I don't know if you could get your nested list with no numbers on the subheads that way.

• 9. Re: Index Page

Actually, you can do most of what you want to do with the TOC, including suppressing page numbers for the subhead style. It won't give you a page range like the index function though. It will make a new entry for every instance of your paragraph style, so you would need to create a unique style for the first appearance of your headline so that it appears only once in your Table of Contents

Screenshot 2016-07-27 10.20.56.png  Screenshot 2016-07-27 10.21.05.png

• 10. Re: Index Page
                            mateuszb66553063 Level 1

I might go crazy soon with this whole Index idea.....

So far so good, but still can't get to the end point of it.

First of all I watched some videos about sort by page numbers on youtube, and scripting (Sort Paragraphs Script). Which is working only if you have starting page number (example Clarins pg17), not starting and ending page number in one heading like me. So I still can't sort it out by page numbers.

Another thing is, by some reason it's choosing font that I don't have for my dashes so they are underlined as missing font and I can't change it.. So Frustrating.

And Finally I wish I could adjust all the numbers to the right so they would be align.

Will I ever have this over

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 16.09.21.png

• 11. Re: Index Page

The dash has to coming in as the same font as the rest of that line; that font must not have an n-dash in its character set.   

You can adjust the numbers to the right one of two ways

1) Set a paragraph style with a right-aligned tab at the end of your line

or

2) Specify a right aligned tab in your index box -- you can do this by typing  ^y  in the Entry Separators box in the Index dialog

Screenshot 2016-07-27 13.59.43.png

• 12. Re: Index Page
                                mateuszb66553063 Level 1

Its funny but the numbers are "Helvetica" and the dash is always a missing font "Sassoon Infant", and the helvetica have the n-dash in the character set. That's why it seems so strange for me.

• 13. Re: Index Page

Susan [ thanks about your private message! ],

I think about a simple way to sort the index on pages! Playing it with a condition, a simple regex (used twice) and Peter Kahrel's Script "Sort".

At the beginning, we have:

Capture d’écran 2016-07-28 à 12.18.06.png

First, with Grep, apply a condition to the carriage-return of paras with Index Level 1 para style applied (if paras followed by a para with Index Level 2 para style applied). Treat all the paras with Index Level 2 para style applied).

Using Multi/Find-Change, 1 click!

Then, "mask" the condition:

Capture d’écran 2016-07-28 à 12.18.20.png

Then, play this simple regex to "invert":

Capture d’écran 2016-07-28 à 12.19.48.png

Then, play Peter Kahrel's Script "Sort":

Capture d’écran 2016-07-28 à 12.20.53.png

Finally, play again the regex to "invert" again and just finish by making the condition visible!

Capture d’écran 2016-07-28 à 12.21.39.png

Done! 

PS: Before "Game Over", mask the condition and play another script of the great Peter Kahrel: "IndexSectionning", then make the condition visible! 

Capture d’écran 2016-07-28 à 12.47.47.png

• 14. Re: Index Page
                                    mateuszb66553063 Level 1

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 12.27.59.png

Why does that not work for me....

• 15. Re: Index Page

Have you a tabulation (\t) before the numbers?

• 16. Re: Index Page
                                        mateuszb66553063 Level 1

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 12.40.55.png

Nope I dont. There is a space bar

• 17. Re: Index Page

That's the reason! 

• 18. Re: Index Page
                                            mateuszb66553063 Level 1

Ok I manage to invert them, but now where do I get the Peter Kahrel's Script. I seem not to have it, the "sort paragraph" script, doesnt do it properly, it mix all the numbers hah

• 20. Re: Index Page
                                              mateuszb66553063 Level 1

Thank you, your the best haha.

I manage to do that. Everything is nearly working. Just another problem with subheading appeared

When I either hide or not hide the subheading, they get messed up after scripting

BEFORE SCRIPTING ( Hidden Subheading )

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 12.15.59.png

AFTER SCRIPTING ( Subheading turned back on )

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 12.18.11.png

Also Because I have \t, I can't align the number to the right side so they would be in a straight line. It's not a big deal really, but is there a way to go around that ?

• 21. Re: Index Page

About the sorting, the difficulty is really here!

You need to "mask" the "Index Level 2" paras and the carriage-return of the "Index Level 1" paras when followed by a "Index Level 2" para.

Before playing it, try manually!

To "mask", you need to use a condition:

You will find its window here:

Capture d’écran 2016-07-29 à 13.09.59.png

To apply it, you will Grep Find/Replace!

When applied, just mask the condition (see Condition window).

About the Tab, use a right tab or a "tabulation de retrait à droite" (in French)!

• 22. Re: Index Page
                                                  mateuszb66553063 Level 1

I wish I would have any idea what did you just said there hahaha