15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2016 1:31 PM by mattbbcmk

Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO

mattbbcmk

Hello community. I am receiving an error message when I try to export Flash content to be a video. The error message reads: "Error creating SWF movie file. Be sure the destination file is not locked or on a locked drive. Also, check that the file name is not too long."

The goal is to create a video that can be rendered in the Adobe Media Encoder.  I am wondering if something needs to be manged in the the Publish Settings but also wondering why it thinks that my destination file is locked. I would greatly appreciate any help I might receive. Thank you in advance.

matt

• 1. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

are you clicking file>export>export video?

• 3. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO
            mattbbcmk Level 1

In my Publish Settings, I am at Flash Player 21, ActionScript 3.0 with the Flash Button checked under PUBLISH ( on left of the pane ).

• 4. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO
              Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I saw this recently, and it was something that isn't obvious. When you choose where you're going to export to, that will set where the MOV is going to go. The SWF gets made into the location you have set in publishing settings. If you've never set that, or if it's set to a folder that doesn't exist anymore, you'll get the error message.

Check where you have it set to create the SWF.

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO
                mattbbcmk Level 1

Thank you Colin. I have it set to be saved on the desktop. However, I just double checked myself and decided to try for a designated folder. I also made sure that the folder and all of its contents were unlocked before saving / exporting. In both instances, I am receiving the same error message. I think it is safe for me assume that you realize I am using a mac. OSX Yosemite 10.10.5

• 6. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO
                  mattbbcmk Level 1

Ok. I just re-read your message and did check my publish settings. Of course, as an output, there is no option for video or movie output that I can see. I do not have HTML Wrapper selected. I wonder if I should...? Should I have SWC selected? ( far left side of Publish Settings Pane ).

• 7. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO

You would choose SWF, and make sure the publish location really exists. If you have sound in the animation you should set the compression for event and stream to Raw, 16 bit stereo, 44.1 KHz. No reason to make the audio be low quality before recompressing it in Adobe Media Encoder.

Also, out this into frame 1 of the timeline, it will improve the quality a lot:

stage.quality = "best";

• 8. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO

BTW, I too am on Mac, 10.12, but that shouldn't matter, it should work the same for 10.10.

• 9. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO
                        mattbbcmk Level 1

Ok. So... I didn't quite understand this direction from you:

Also, out this into frame 1 of the timeline, it will improve the quality a lot:

stage.quality = "best";

Did you want me to add this code to the existing actionscript code I already have in place?

I have as my top layer an actionscript to have the movie stop.

• 10. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO

That line should be in frame 1, and might as well be the first line in the script. The stage quality defaults to "medium", and if you're exporting to video you may as well set it to the best it can be. Similarly, with all the bitmaps you may have in the library, set them to be lossless. No point in applying JPEG artifacts to them.

Did you manage to export a video yet? If not, does a normal Test Movie work?

• 11. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO
                            mattbbcmk Level 1

Ok. Sorry. This code should be in line 1? Ummmm..... I could add this code to my AS coding I already have in place.

( My top most layer has and AS code to stop the video ant the end ). Is that what you mean? When you say add it to line 1, I am not following.

And while we are talking about lossless, I do have jpegs in place but don't see how to change them to lossless in PS. So, again apologies for needing more explanation. I could swap out the jpegs for tiffs or PNGs but doesn't the lossless part come in to play when I save for web? I'm not saving for web, but agree, that my images are not as sharp as they could be.

Weirdly enough, I was able to create the video and it showed it in the listing within the encoder. Thanks. Any enlightenment to the queries above would be great. I have included a screen shot of my Flash Pane in hopes of aiding us in this discussion.

Thank you,

matt

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 5.15.16 PM.png

• 12. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO

I had said frame 1, not line 1, though it would just happen to be in line 1 of that script. Yes, you can insert it in front of the ActionScript you already have in frame 1.

If you have JPEGs in the library, and they are set to use the imported compression setting, then there wouldn't be anything to be gained in making them lossless. But, if you have them set to use the publishing settings, you could get a case where the original JPEG had 100% quality, and now in your video it was compressed down to say 60%. If you do have them set to use the publishing settings value, you could go into the settings and make the JPEG quality be 100%, and that would take care of all of them.

The reason you usually compress images is to either improve the performance or to reduce the file size. But, for exporting to video you can have the most demanding animation on earth, and it will still export at a perfect frame rate. So, any sounds or bitmaps you have might as well be at the best quality they can be.

Something else with the bitmaps, you should enable the smoothing option, pretty sure there's no downside to doing that, and the scaled bitmaps will look better.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 13. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO
                                mattbbcmk Level 1

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Colin. With all the talk about lossless and compression, I had to do a little homework to make sure I was tackling this the right way. For anyone who may read this thread, some basics about image quality can be found at this link, which was helpful. Image file formats - TIF, JPG, PNG, GIF

I found that the best lossless quality would be in a TIF format. However, Flash does not let me import a TIF, so the next best format was PNG. Just for the record, as Colin states earlier, I was not worried about making these images suitable for web rendering so I made them super high res and DID NOT save for web in PS.

For some background, this initial assignment for myself was to take animated Flash content and reformat the animation to become a video so that it would function as a video on a website, as opposed to relying on the Flash content to animate on the web.

For some reason, the exporting movie function ( from Flash ) was failing and not opening in the Adobe Media Encoder. I now believe it was because that my Media Encoder was not up to date. Everything seems to be working fine now and I appreciate the patience and multiple answers from Colin.

• 14. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO

One note about TIFF and PNG, for your purposes PNG is (at least with 24 or 32 bit) just as good as TIFF. The save for web in Photoshop is also a good idea with PNG, other ways of saving PNG might premultiply white onto the image.

• 15. Re: Error creating SWF movie file for VIDEO
                                    mattbbcmk Level 1

Thanks Colin. As mentioned earlier, I was trying to keep the quality as high as possible by not saving for web.

However, it might be good to try the images like that, and see if there is a difference in quality. Thanks for all the help Colin.