1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 28, 2006 4:43 PM by outshineweb

Music player with 2 swfs using LocalConnection

outshineweb
      Hello,

I'm creating a site that will have two seperate SWFs on screen. One will be playing music, the other will contain a start/stop button for the music. I'm using LocalConnection to communicate between the two SWFs.
      I have this working, sort of. The music will start playing, I can stop it, restart it and stop it again, but the second time I attempt to restart it, it does nothing. You can view it at:

http://www.outshinewebdesign.com/spider/index.html

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what is happening that it won't restart the second time. This is the first time I have attempted to use LocalConnection, so I'm hoping this is just a small syntax error on my part.

I zipped up all relevant files and have placed it online at:

http://www.outshinewebdesign.com/spi...connection.zip

If anyone is inclined to take a peak. I'll also post an outline of what I am doing.

The movie that contains the controls is sending the LocalConnection data with the following AS:

(Frame 1, stopping music)

Code:
      buttonInstance.onRelease = function() {

outgoing_lc = new LocalConnection();
      outgoing_lc.send("lc_name", "methodToExecute", 2);
      delete outgoing_lc;
      _root.gotoAndStop(2);

};

(Frame 2, playing music)

Code:
      buttonInstance.onRelease = function() {

outgoing_lc = new LocalConnection();
      outgoing_lc.send("lc_name", "methodToExecute", 1);
      delete outgoing_lc;
      _root.gotoAndStop(1);

};

The movie with the music that is receiving the LocalConnection data is receiving with the following AS:

Code:

incoming_lc = new LocalConnection();
      incoming_lc.methodToExecute = function (param) {

if (param == 1) {
      gotoAndPlay(1);
      musicStatus = "Playing";
      } else {
      gotoAndStop(20);
      musicStatus = "Stopped";
      }

}

incoming_lc.connect("lc_name");

I've tried everything I can think of, including rewriting everything multiple times, but I'm getting the same result. I don't understand why it works the first couple of times, but then stops. I very much appreciate anyone's insight on this issue. Thanks!

Luke