1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 29, 2006 8:32 AM by Newsgroup_User

    LoadVars from a Projector ... bit of trouble

    Level 7
      I wrote a Projector app that uses a LoadVars instance to send form POST
      data to a PHP file. The PHP kicks back a string, and the app proceeds based
      on the results of that string. Everything worked beautifully until
      recently. Nothing in the SWF has changed, but I'm not one to point a quick
      finger, so here's an overview of my considerations:

      1) Flash 8 security sandbox? Seems to be fine. I started a new FLA to
      isolate the issue and was able to successfully post from a Projector to the
      same PHP on my own domain. I could also post to the domain listed in the
      sample code for the LoadVars.sendAndLoad() method entry in the AS Language
      Reference.

      2) I also ran a handful of very basic Projector loading tests.
      Sound.loadSound() with an MP3, MovieClip.loadMovie() with a JPG, GIF, and
      SWF. All of these succeed (naturally! -- why wouldn't they?) from my own
      domain. I upload the identical MP3, JPG, etc., to the client's domain and
      the same test Projectors fail -- with the domain name updated, of course, to
      point to the client's domain.

      If I drag any of these test SWFs into a browser instance, they succeed.
      It is only in a Windows Projector that they fail. These are Flash 8 SWFs.
      A friend testing on a Mac said that the original file (not these tests)
      occasionally works just fine, but only intermittently.

      I'm almost certain at this point that the issue is due to something
      wrong (or changed) at my client's hosting provider. Perhaps MIME types?
      Does this ring a bell for anyone else?


      David
      stiller (at) quip (dot) net
      Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
      "Luck is the residue of good design."


        • 1. Re: LoadVars from a Projector ... bit of trouble
          Level 7
          > I'm almost certain at this point that the issue is due to
          > something wrong (or changed) at my client's hosting
          > provider. Perhaps MIME types? Does this ring a bell
          > for anyone else?

          Problem solved. Chalk this one up to just "one of those things" and an
          argument for better communication. My client's host provider had added
          a mod_security rule that was blocking the attempts of the Projector.
          Presumably, they were trying to be helpful, but if only they had mentioned
          something -- either to my client or me -- I could have avoided six hours of
          troubleshooting. :-p Ah, well. You win some, you lose some. Maybe it was
          an automatic, scripted protection. In any case, all is well. Thanks to
          Mauro, who emailed me offlist with some good suggestions.


          David
          stiller (at) quip (dot) net
          Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."