5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2016 9:24 PM by ManiacJoe

One Catalogue, multiple external Harddrives. What is my best option?

louistrerise

Hello, I just filled up my external HD which hold all my files and my LR catalogue. I want to continue using the same catalogue but with a new HD.. What's the most common way people do this?? I was thinking if I put the catalogue on my desktop - then if I open it with my new HD plugged in will I only see thumbnails of my other images? Or is there a better way of doing this?? Many thanks!!!!!

• 1. Re: One Catalogue, multiple external Harddrives. What is my best option?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi louist,

Yes that's right you can copy the catalog file on your desktop and leave the images in external hard drive, now when open the Lightroom and your old hard drive is connected to the machine you would be able to edit the images because the image location hasn't change.

Also, you can connect the new hard drive as well and start importing or adding images from there in the same catalog file.

Regards,

Mohit

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: One Catalogue, multiple external Harddrives. What is my best option?
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The location of the catalog and the location of your images are completely independent of each other.

For example,

my catalogs : d:\lr6_catalogs

catalog backups : c:\lr_cat_backups

my images : (internal) d:\from_camera, (external) q:\from_camera

image backups: p:\from_camera

I put the catalogs on my internal drive so they run marginally faster.

The external drives come and go; add more as needed.

If you are dealing with multiple computers, you can put the catalog and images and the same external drive and move the drive from computer to computer.

If you are using multiple external drives, and if some of them are disconnected, LR will show previews and thumbnails out of the LR cache (located with the catalog). Any need for files located on the disconnected drives will be indicated as being "missing" until you connect the drive.

If you want to use a bigger cache, you can turn on the Smart Previews, which allow you to do more editing than normal when the original files are disconnected.

The way I do this:

catalog on the internal drive

original images on external drives, grouped by date (new images in the new drive)

previews are the standard previews, "auto" sized for my monitor

no need for smart previews as the "current" external drive is always attached

• 3. Re: One Catalogue, multiple external Harddrives. What is my best option?
              louistrerise Level 1

Thanks mate, definitely cleared things up for me!

• 4. Re: One Catalogue, multiple external Harddrives. What is my best option?
                louistrerise Level 1

Maybe you could help with my next question -

I will use a new external HD for my images, catalogue on my desktop, and a copy of the catalogue in each HD?

Then I want a cloud to auto back up all my images in the background as I dont back up my images at this stage..

Is this a good/common way and if so do you have any recommendations on fast secure cheap cloud services?

Cheers!

• 5. Re: One Catalogue, multiple external Harddrives. What is my best option?
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

A copy of the catalog on each external drive is probably overkill for backup purposes. LR does auto backups of the catalog on whatever schedule you choose (default = weekly, I picked "every exit"). I send the catalog backups to a second internal drive. My data backup scripts include these catalog backups when backing up my data to an external drive.

There are multiple choices for cloud backup plans, but I don't know enough about any of them to recommend any of them. The initial difficulty for all of them is in the amount of time it takes to do the first full backup of your whole system.

1 person found this helpful