22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2017 7:26 PM by johnj1227

Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow

Kreeson Naraidoo Level 1

I'm a professional photographer and decided to give the Surface Book a shot.  I got the 512GB / Core Intel i7 16GB / dGPU model. 

Whilst most things work, I'm saddened that Lightroom CC (2015.6.1) is not really usable.  I had to disable the GPU in order for the brushes and other functions in the develop mode to work.  So what's the point of having a GPU for which you can't use.  The Surface Book is advertised "With a discrete GPU, run professional-grade software—Adobe Creative Cloud, AutoCAD, or Visual Studio—without compromise", however my productivity has been compromised.

I've tried uninstalling LR, reinstalling it, fiddling with settings etc but no joy.

I've been to the Microsoft Store in Sydney, I demonstrated the problem I'm experiencing and got told unfortunately there isn't anything they can do.

I would like to know if other users are having similar problems and what is Adobe & Microsoft doing about it.

This is an expensive laptop that is causing me a lot of grief and isn't even a month old.

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the type of the dedicated GPU?

Are you using the latest driver for it from the manufacturer?

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
            Kreeson Naraidoo Level 1

Hi,

I have updated LR, Windows 10, and GPU drivers.

Here's my config:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.6.1 [ 1083169 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 10

Version: 10.0

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2.8 GHz

Built-in memory: 16310.4 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16310.4 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 1501.9 MB (9.2%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1839.7 MB

Memory cache size: 605.8 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 3000x2000

Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: Yes

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GPU/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 364.72

Renderer: GeForce GPU/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow

This does not show the type of your Nvidia GPU.

There seem to be some issues with GTX9xx series - at least there are a lot of reports.

I'd expect that either Nvidia or Adobe will have this fixed.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                Kreeson Naraidoo Level 1

It's the standard dGPU on the Surface Book, there is only one dGPU on the Surface Book.

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GPU/PCIe/SSE2

In the Device Manager it only shows: NVIDIA GeForce GPU

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow

Did you update it's driver by autodetedct on the Nvidia site?

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                    Kreeson Naraidoo Level 1

I did autodetect using the GeForce site

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                      BKKDon Level 4

Kreeson Naraidoo wrote:

I'm a professional photographer and decided to give the Surface Book a shot. I got the 512GB / Core Intel i7 16GB / dGPU model.

Whilst most things work, I'm saddened that Lightroom CC (2015.6.1) is not really usable. I had to disable the GPU in order for the brushes and other functions in the develop mode to work. So what's the point of having a GPU for which you can't use. The Surface Book is advertised "With a discrete GPU, run professional-grade software—Adobe Creative Cloud, AutoCAD, or Visual Studio—without compromise", however my productivity has been compromised.

I've tried uninstalling LR, reinstalling it, fiddling with settings etc but no joy.

I've been to the Microsoft Store in Sydney, I demonstrated the problem I'm experiencing and got told unfortunately there isn't anything they can do.

I would like to know if other users are having similar problems and what is Adobe & Microsoft doing about it.

This is an expensive laptop that is causing me a lot of grief and isn't even a month old.

The NVIDIA GPU, that is active when the keyboard is attached, is based on the Maxwell GM108 chip as in the Geforce 940M.

While the GPU in the Surface Book is sufficient to play most current games at medium-level settings, and process most images, it is definitely not a powerhouse. Mobile GPUs suffer from a limited power source, which is not an issue in desktop machines. For example the power supply used run a AMD R9 290 is 850Watts, and the Surface Book only uses 65W at most ... and this matters to the software you run on that hardware.

You are right to disable the GPU in Lightroom to get decent performance.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                        Kreeson Naraidoo Level 1

:-) what's the point of buying a Surface Book with dGPU if you can't use it.  Waste of money.  I need Adobe to confirm that LR does not support it then I can get a refund as this is a lot of money

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                          BKKDon Level 4

I think you should read Eric Chan's statement here: GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)

You should also be aware that there is an overhead for GPU's in transferring data back and forwards between the GPU/CPU.

I am not defending Adobe in any but I am involved in tests for other software (not RAW processors) and the real benefit comes with using Hi-Res 4K/5K displays. In fact for some computational work on a test PC with a Intel HD4600/1GB and a NVIDIA GT740M/4GB the intel is faster than the NVIDIA.

But for computational activities such as smoothing out slider movement on develop controls you may not see much improvement.

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                            Kreeson Naraidoo Level 1

Thanks for the reply, I have read Eric's post before. 

I'm not blaming Adobe for anything as LR works perfectly on a Mac, I just want Microsoft to take back the Surface and refund my money as this is a waste of time and money.

I've also got other issues: if I'm trying to scroll (up/down) on the left panel of LR, the bottom panel scrolls (right/left); and the same goes for the right panel.  How weird is that?

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                              RexManning

Exact same issue here. If I use the nvidia gpu with LR on my same model surface book, I can't use LR normally. I only need to hover over the develop settings and the image gets big squares over it. Switching the nvidia off cures the issue. Not what we would want. My 8 year old macbook doesn't even have this issue.

• 12. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                                BKKDon Level 4
                                2 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                                  RexManning Level 1

Now that's odd. Seems version v368.81 is working (will give it some time to decide if that's really so). Why do I think it's odd? Nvidia is at version 375.57 already 5 versions and three months ahead. How could we check if an update solves this issue, or is it just a matter of not ever updating the driver?

• 14. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                                    BKKDon Level 4

RexManning wrote:

Now that's odd. Seems version v368.81 is working (will give it some time to decide if that's really so). Why do I think it's odd? Nvidia is at version 375.57 already 5 versions and three months ahead. How could we check if an update solves this issue, or is it just a matter of not ever updating the driver?

I guess they will announce when they are able to correct the bug, it isn't corrected in v6.7/2015.7 so hopefully it will be in the next version ... either 6/2015 or a upgrade.

It seems to be a perennial problem with OpenGL processing and not just Adobe.

• 15. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                                      BKKDon Level 4

RexManning wrote:

Looks like NVIDIA 375.63 may have fixed the problem.

• 16. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                                        RexManning Level 1

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately it doesn't fix the issue for me. I'm staying on 368.81 for now.

• 17. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                                          johnnyl15431398 Level 1

I also bought an i7 16gb Surface Book and Lightroom performance has been dismal. I've completed all of the tips and tricks to make Lightroom run quicker (increase cache, disabled GPU. etc).

In develop mode I can pretty much kiss productivity goodbye if I add multiple adjustments on a photo. For example, one photo has 2-3 spot removal adjustments, 3-4 brush adjustments, 1 graduated filter. If I try to add any more adjustments the Surface Book hangs up and if I'm using a brush it sometimes adds a brush stroke in a straight line that I never added. Is this limited to the Surface Book?

I'm thinking about migrating to a 2015 Mac Book Pro. Anyone with a 2015 MBP have any input?

• 18. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                                            Kreeson Naraidoo Level 1

Hi there,

That's exactly what I did, as LR just didn't run smoothly on the Surface Book.  I had even tried two other Surface Books in the Microsoft Store which gave the same experience. 

Microsoft has announced a new i7 Surface Book which now has a different dGPU (2GB instead of 1GB) model.  I'm assuming they are aware of the problem.

None of these problems exist on the Macbook Pro's, I've used LR on the iMac, Macbook Pro 13" and the Macbook Pro 15" without any problems.

You have to necessarily change to a Macbook as things like MS Office, especially Outlook really sucks on a Mac.  I'm a power user and really get frustrated with the MS Office offerings on the Mac as not of the apps are on par with the Windows versions.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Kreeson

• 19. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                                              johnnyl15431398 Level 1

Yeah, I just imported my catalog to the MBP and everything runs a lot smoother. The difference is very noticeable and there is no hangup with multiple adjustments.

I'm not entirely convinced the new surface book with the new dGPU will make a difference since the it seemed Lightroom ran better with the dGPU acceleration off on the Surface Book.

I'm getting used to the MBP shortcuts and hopefully the transition will go smooth from windows to mac.

• 20. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                                                marcom74102358

Exact same issue as above... SBook with i5 and comparing it to a MacBook Pro there is a huge difference. The MacBook is smooth with any changes on RAW files whereas the SurfaceBook is stuttering with any changes and it just doesn't allow smooth editing. The workflow is:

- import raw file

- change exposure - wait a second for it to apply

- change WB - wait a second for it to apply

- adjust highlights - wait a second for it to apply

... you get the idea... it's not workable.

• 21. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                                                  TimMBGreen

Has this improved in the meantime? I'm running Lightroom on an older Lenovo X220 with a good quality Eizo non4K monitor to edit 50mb 36Mpixel RAW files and I'm finding it quite usable. There are brief pauses to apply settings, but considering it's a five year old computer it's quite usable. I'm now facing the decision of which system to get next and on the whole I'm tending towards a real desktop computer with a proper graphics card and a good 4K or 5K monitor.. It will cost a lot less and deliver a lot more performance than any laptop solution. If I went for a laptop it would probably be the Dell XPS 15 rather than the Surface Book: You get more power, a 15" 4K screen, a very fast 1TB SSD drive and a Thunderbolt port that means external SSDs can be as fast as the internal ones.

• 22. Re: Lightroom CC on Surface Book running slow
                                                    johnj1227

I just purchased an i7 16gb Surface book and I am experiencing hang up on importing, some hang ups during editing... I am a Mac User with an old ivy bridge i7 16gb MBP and it runs better... I just came across this post because I am having some hiccups in developing module. I am still within the return window... I also ordered an i7  16gb ram 13" MBP (2015 version). I really want to like the surface book... I am returning one...

I will be giving it more time to see if it gets better. I am using a new catalog and I am not even using my old catalog that is 500gb big...

Can someone confirm if it has been fixed or not? Maybe I need to change stuff in my settings...