16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2017 10:19 AM by tristansummers

Save ram preview workaround?

tristansummers Level 1

I know save preview is not working at the moment, but if the preview exists in ram, there must be some way to save this. Has anyone found a way to access it? I guess i could screen capture it, though haven't found a PC screen capture solution yet. I was hoping it was on the iofx as proclivity is set to 0.00001 as advised. In the same way as you used to be able to find FCP cache renders and move the QuickTimes...

• 1. Re: Save ram preview workaround?
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

What I have found is that even when "Save RAM preview" worked - it wasn't instant, it still took a little while to render the frames and create a file. in CS6  if you RAM preview in your composition and choose "Save RAM Preview" when it's done - all it did was render the file from the frames saved in RAM at the default preset - which was current settings for the render settings, and lossless codec for the output module. but you could just render the file at the cyrrent settings of your Cached frames and you will get the exact same result and render time. meaning that Ae does use the cached frames anyway.

another way to explain it is that when you load your frames to RAM (the bar is green), the Render Settings take that into account and if the Cache you took is equal in terms of settings - it will in fact, as it renders, "Save" the RAM Preview. Thats why when you render a file after RAM preview - it is much faster (if the render settings match the current settings of your composition)

if you want to create your own "Save RAM Preview" just choose the "current settings" preset for your render settings, and pick a lossless codec from the Output Module. that's the best you could do in terms of using the RAM preview I believe. I always use the current settings for my disk cache settings in the render settings checkbox - tip: writing to the disk cache during renders through the render queue | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Save ram preview workaround?
            tristansummers Level 1

HI. Thanks. This almost works.

However CURRENT SETTINGS doesn't work if you are not at full size, it does not resize to viewer size and still renders the full raster.

You have to go to Render Settings / CUSTOM and work out the right amount.

I am in a 7680x3240 comp so I am at 12.5%

So I had to set custom to render every 8th pixel

this worked and used the RAM preview. Much faster than doing the same thing via Media Encoder, as it uses Multi Processing and the ioFX cache.

I have 4xioFX in a RAID as my cache and work drive so this is a pretty fast solution

This can't then be set to a preset, as it doesn't read current resolution. Maybe it does if you set it to half or quarter and not AUTO.

hmm, sort of

• 3. Re: Save ram preview workaround?

I believe it does work but let's see if we are talking about and doing the same thing. it seems to me when you write "12.5%" you are referring to magnification and not down sample/resolution Popup.

I have a 7680x3240 Composition here:

I am making a Preview at render every 8th pixel resolution and set it here

in my Render Queue I choose current settings and I can see the resolution is taken from that same popup

so is it not working as expected?

BTW if you have the latest version of Ae 13.8, you can use Queue in AME button in the Render Queue and keep the render settings, while using AME for the Output. so in theory maybe AME could use these cached frames, but resolution is still in AME so you have to set this value manually. see if that is giving you the performance you want.v

• 4. Re: Save ram preview workaround?
                tristansummers Level 1

Yeah. That works. What doesn't is if you have comp window down sample set to AUTO. This is a much easier way to work and ram preview always is at the current state. I am not going to keep changing my preview settings panel. You just have to MANUALLY enter the down sample in render settings to render that ram preview as the current settings can't access the auto information, even though ram preview can. Maybe possible in future. The only problem is knowing what it is, as since it can now be custom it does not always tell you. And doing the maths! Be ok when they bring render ram preview back! And sort out the audio mix caching!

• 5. Re: Save ram preview workaround?
                  tristansummers Level 1

Magnification is set to auto. That sets ram preview sampling. This information is not sent to render settings. Otherwise yes, you solved it! When i update i will test, but I doubt media encoder can use the cached frames. I try not to use it anyway as it simply can't make color faithful h264s so i use resolve for deliverables.

• 6. Re: Save ram preview workaround?

I understand. indeed it doesn't work when you are in "auto" in the down sample popup. BTW it "remembers" the last manual adjustment you made before you selected "auto" and it will give you that in your render settings when you select current. guess all that "Save RAM Preview" does that we could not do automatically is to make the "Custom" adjustment and connect between current magnification to current down sample resolution. yes - Save RAM Preview should be back! off to the wish form: Feature Request/Bug Report Form  and maybe link to this thread as two geeks did some breakdown over here.

BTW as a workflow habit of mine - I never work on "auto" in down sample because I find that you see less data this way. for me, the reason for making my image smaller is to see the whole frame, and not actually downgrade it. take a look at this project I recently did.

this is full resolution, 100%

let's say I want to see it 50% to get the whole image and have some more space now I get this

now let's change the downsample to Auto so it will give me half resolution instead of full

notice the difference: Half is the left, Full is the right

• 7. Re: Save ram preview workaround?
                      tristansummers Level 1

guess it depends what you are doing. Generally I find it is faster sticking one pixel on one pixel rather than a lot of aliasing, but at HD and fairly simple project yes keep it full. Same with colour accuracy and vector accuracy. I(ot: have a nightmare with bitmaps in illustrator files that only render when accurately aliased but such a resource hog. You can't always seperate vectors and source bitmaps though...) Thanks again

• 8. Re: Save ram preview workaround?
                        jackthegiantslayer Level 1

Or how about Adobe get the lead out and reinstate this needed feature? How many freaking years do you guys need?

• 9. Re: Save ram preview workaround?
                          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you would like to see a feature put into the current or future versions of AE, chatting to your fellow users in the forum is fine, but don't forget to also file a feature request so that Adobe can see it too. The more of them they get, the higher priority it becomes. Be sure to specify why it is important for you and how the current situation is not working for you.

• 10. Re: Save ram preview workaround?

This isn't a feature request, this is asking to have something that was a valuable part of the architecture REINSTATED because Adobe has been unwilling or incapable of fixing what they broke. I post in here partly to vent and partly to raise awareness of these frustrations, because filing a feature request is a bit like sending a letter to Santa. You have high hopes that somebody may see or care, but you also won't know or have any acknowledgment made until that promise is delivered...and considering how many years this function has been broken, I don't foresee Santa answering my letter anytime soon.

• 11. Re: Save ram preview workaround?
                              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jackthegiantslayer  wrote

This isn't a feature request, this is asking to have something that was a valuable part of the architecture REINSTATED

I understand that, but it technically is still a feature request. You are requesting a feature.

Yes, it was a feature that used to be present and no longer is, but you are making a request for a feature regardless.

I post in here partly to vent and partly to raise awareness of these frustrations,

And that's perfectly understandable and a good idea. If you can raise awareness for more people to file feature requests, it'll get a higher priority.

filing a feature request is a bit like sending a letter to Santa. You have high hopes that somebody may see or care, but you also won't know or have any acknowledgment made until that promise is delivered

I know what you mean. I've had some feature requests remain unanswered for years!

But I've had some show up in the program too.

This may not be a big deal for many folks, so they might not have received many feature requests for this to return. Again, if this impacts anybody in this thread now or in the future, please click the link I gave in my previous post and file your feature request.

You might not get what you ask for right away, but you will never get what you don't ask for.

• 12. Re: Save ram preview workaround?

Yes, it was a feature that used to be present and no longer is, but you are making a request for a feature regardless.

It IS still a feature, or function, you can see it right where it used to be, except it is grayed out now. If this is no longer a function, why even have that freaking option sitting there in the pulldown menu? Either Adobe is really sloppy and likes to leave traces of their mistakes laying around, or they are taunting us with a reminder of what we used to have. Regardless, it's really bad form.

• 13. Re: Save ram preview workaround?
                                  tristansummers Level 1

Just RAM preview, set the viewer scale to Half or Full (NOT AUTO) then render as animation or other lossless codec and it does EXACTLY WHAT RENDER RAM PREVIEW DID then you don't need to vent anymore. It doesn't work anymore because render preview system is completely different now.

• 14. Re: Save ram preview workaround?

Good to know, thank you, but still not the same. Having it render out what is in RAM can vary depending on whether you have motion blur preview, frame blending on, etc....so you have to make sure the preset you use when rendering it out matches those settings exactly, otherwise it will still re-render. I just want access to what is in the cache at that moment so I can output it without fuss. And yes, I did fill out a feature request form...as I did many times when preview wasn't working at all for several years on my Retina iMac, so guess why I have a little residual resentment.

• 15. Re: Save ram preview workaround?

Saving RAM preview for all intents and purposes is already doable and if you scroll back you would see that. It is written in the answer for OP which wrote for you one more time and apparently have come to terms with it being gone in the recent form

The old Save RAM preview would be limited to all the stuff you wrote all the same. The only one downside is that it's unable to save the RAM to a file from "auto" resolution.

still I would support such a Feature request and I believe I asked for it too.

• 16. Re: Save ram preview workaround?
                                        tristansummers Level 1

Hello me

Here is a weird thing.

If you set your settings to Full and you have enough cache then RAM preview is maybe a thousand times faster than rendering it properly

Now why is that?

I recently had illustrator files with transparency in and they took maybe 10 hours to render yet 20 mins to Ram preview, then render.

So maybe, just maybe it is actually better now than before?

My new recommendation is to use Preview to render!

Tris