4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 12:03 AM by JBAtterton

Dell Precision Tower 7910 Performance with r3d 4k Edits?

JBAtterton

Hey everyone - I'm a freelance editor in the market for a new workstation and I have the opportunity to buy the following system at a reduced price from a local vendor;

• Dell Precision Tower 7910
      • Dual Xeon X5-2630 v3 8 Core CPU (2.4GHz)
      • 64GB 2133 MHz DDR4 ECC RAM
      • Quadro K4200 4GB
      • 1300W PSU

I will likely replace the GPU with something more up to date (GTX 1080/Titan possibly) and will be running my footage (primarily 4K+ RAW r3d files) from either an internal RAID array or an external Lacie RAID over Thunderbolt 2.

Would this machine achieve realtime playback in Premiere Pro at full res 4k? Multiple layers and no dropped frames? I will also be grading in Davinci Resolve on this machine.

I have some concerns over the relatively low clock speed of the CPUs based on the following articles - so it would be great to get an idea of what I could expect in terms of real-world editing performance from editors using a similar config.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-Multi-Core-Performan ce-Update1-806/

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/95-single-or-dual-cpu/109-single-or-dual-cpu

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Dell Precision Tower 7910 Performance with r3d 4k Edits?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I scanned over my PPBM results and I would guess your Dual Xeon X5-2630 v3 would have about the Premiere Pro CPU horsepower as my single i7-5960X running at 4.5 GHz.  I do not yet have any results from the newer single processor the i7-6950X with 10 cores and regular turbo to 4 GHz so you might weigh your options.

Your best option may be to work with someone like @Eric Bowen at ADK to get something with Lifetime Technical Support configured precisely to your workflow and media

• 2. Re: Dell Precision Tower 7910 Performance with r3d 4k Edits?
            JEShort01 Level 4

JBAtterton,

The Dell T7910 is a nice workstation for Premiere Pro. Personally, I never use the Quadro options that Dell ships them with and also my own drives.

I just did some checking with a similar T7910 on some RED files to try and help you out.

Specs:

- dual e5-2620 v3 (very similar clock speed to 2630 v3, but 6 core instead of 8 core)

- Intel 750 Boot SSD

- 4x RAID 0 SSD data array (on T7910 SAS/SATA controller)

- 128GB of RAM (64GB is plenty for Premiere Pro, I can't speak for Resolve)

- single GTX 980 Ti; note that Resolve can use 2 or even 3 fast video cards I hear

Testing:

- RED 4k, 5k, and 6k single track - flawless playback; zero lost frames at full resolution, high quality playback checked to 4k monitor

- 4x layer RED 4k - flawless playback and zero lost frames at 1/2 resolution, high quality checked; to 4k; Full resolution playback drops some frames

- scrubbing performance is super-responsive for all the above

Large RAID storage comments:

- Areca 1882/1883 series controllers are awesome for video - large, fast, reliable RAID5/6 storage; for 8x, 12x sized arrays I like to do attached storage (4x SAS cables) to Sans Digital TowerRAID boxes

- lately, I've been keeping large RAID 5 rotating drive arrays on a separate workstation (data server) and connecting with 2x 10GBe copper channels - amazing performance actually, and for my use very desirable vs. current Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 / 3.1, and the like. I'm seeing speeds to/from Workstation and "server" (Win 8.1OS workstation with lots of drives) at better than 1 Gigabyte per second (not to be confused with Gigabits/sec.!). So long as your Adobe cache/scratch files are local I can even run big projects from the remote storage.

Hope this helps!

Jim

• 3. Re: Dell Precision Tower 7910 Performance with r3d 4k Edits?
              JBAtterton Level 1

That makes it sound like a very capable machine - the prospect of some extra performance out of the new i7 options is attractive, but I've never been too interested in pushing significant overclocking because I'm not all that tech savvy, so it sounds like the dual CPU options would definitely be a strong performer.

I have considered a boutique workstation, but I'm based in Australia and the options over here in that space are quite limited.

• 4. Re: Dell Precision Tower 7910 Performance with r3d 4k Edits?
                JBAtterton Level 1

Thanks very much for this - sounds like your system and the one I'm considering are very closely specced.

That performance sounds great with 4k material, I would definitely be happy with those capabilities. Are there any downsides or difficulties that you have found with your 7910? Any kinds of projects/files that it struggles with? Or just general feedback on the machine?

Your remote storage setup sounds great - 1 gigabyte per second speeds are definitely enviable! For this machine I'll probably have to stick to an internal raid - I've seen some recommendations for the Areca cards so I'm definitely go to go with one of those or an equivalent.

Thanks very much for the input - it is a massive help.