3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 6:10 AM by trshaner

Canon 1Dx Mark II Noise on Unedited RAW in Lightroom CC 2015

bracehemi

The top image is of an unedited, straight-out-of-camera, JPG shot on a new Canon 1Dx Mark II. The bottom image is a RAW file processed through Adobe Lightroom  with no modified develop settings or presets and saved as a JPG.

I have troubleshooted with multiple bodies and both a CFast and CF card with the same results. A friend has processed my RAWs through CaptureOne as a test and the files come out as close to the straight-out-of-camera JPG as possible.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? I have eliminated issues with the body and memory cards and that only leaves the Abobe RAW plugin in both Lightroom and Photoshop as the culprit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

20160726_JPG.jpg

20160726_RAW.jpg

• 1. Re: Canon 1Dx Mark II Noise on Unedited RAW in Lightroom CC 2015
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is much more detail in the Adobe rendering than the Canon rendering, you can see his eyelids for example.

What you're seeing is entirely normal for the Adobe "factory defaults", where the default Detail settings are no luminance noise-reduction, Sharpen - Detail of 25, and Sharpen - Mask of 0.  Boost the Mask up close to 100 holding down the Alt/Opt key and adjust the slider until just the main edges are highlighted.  In other words, with the "factory defaults" noise is being sharpened along with actual scene details.

If you like the overprocessed look, then experiment a little with several images in several lighting situations to get a consistent set of settings looking how you want, then save those Detail settings as the new LR defaults by pressing the Alt/Opt key and clicking Set Defaults...  Just be sure to not touch any other settings except the Detail settings before saving the new defaults, because all settings of the current photo will be saved as default, so leave the rest at their defaults other than the few you want to change.  For my images I usually have masking set in the 80s or 90s as a customized default but leave the rest of the Detail settings at their Adobe defaults and expect to make adjustments image-by-image.

One reason to keep things a little grainy is for when the image is printed or resized, smaller, having extra grain will make the result more crisp looking so don't overdo it.

• 2. Re: Canon 1Dx Mark II Noise on Unedited RAW in Lightroom CC 2015
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

When the camera creates your JPG, it applies all the picture settings (brightness, contrast, saturation) as well as your noise reduction settings.

When shooting raw files, the camera makes notes in the CR2 file about what these settings were. Canon's software will read these settings and apply them to the initial view. All non-Canon software ignores these settings and applies their own defaults (or your chosen defaults). Because of this, the Adobe view of the raw file will not look exactly like your in-camera JPG. Most folks will create a few develop presets that contain their preferences and apply them as a starting point of the editing process.

• 3. Re: Canon 1Dx Mark II Noise on Unedited RAW in Lightroom CC 2015
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

bracehemi wrote:

The top image is of an unedited, straight-out-of-camera, JPG shot on a new Canon 1Dx Mark II. The bottom image is a RAW file processed through Adobe Lightroom with no modified develop settings or presets and saved as a JPG.

The EXIF data in the screenshot you posted shows a camera setting of ISO 6400. The Canon 1Dx Mark II is a great camera, but at that ISO setting you're going to need to apply Luminance Noise Reduction and some Sharpening Masking (applied in that order).

As already explained the default setting for Luminance NR is 0, which should work OK with your camera at hand-held shutter speeds up to about ISO 1600. You can change your Default Develop settings or create presets for specific shooting situations (i.e. high ISO). The Luminance NR control is ISO aware and applies increasing amounts of NR as the ISO increases. A setting of 20 at ISO 100 applies a very small amount of NR and at ISO 6400 a much larger amount at the same 20 setting. From testing of my Canon 5D MKII raw files a Luminance NR setting of between 15-20 does not noticeably reduce image sharpness. You could set Luminace NR at 15-20 as part of your Default Develop settings. Test it with your Canon 1Dx Mark II raw image files.

bracehemi wrote:

A friend has processed my RAWs through CaptureOne as a test and the files come out as close to the straight-out-of-camera JPG as possible.

...and you can do the same with LR.