7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2006 5:37 AM by Rothrock

question about mac osx

codescodescodes
      Hi everyone. I know this is an odd place to post this thread, but I tried to find a mac forum to post on, but I couldn't post on them because in order to register I had to have an email account that wasn't free. I don't understand why. I gave up trying to find a mac forum that I can use, so I decided to give this a try since there are some of you out there running Flash on the mac osx. I'm new to the mac and I'm trying to get aquainted with the operating system, but I came across a problem that I can't seem to figure out. When I minimize and application, let's say safari, and I switch to another application, let's say textEdit, and I minimize that and go back to safari, using the command+Tab shortcut key, the browser window doesn't open. It remains minimized and I can't find a shortcut key to maximize the browser. So I have a blank screen showing Safari in the menu bar, so I know that Safari is the active application, but no browser window is present because of the previous minimize command I executed. I know I can just use my mouse and scroll over the dock and click on the safari browser, but I wanted to see if there is a way to do it using keyboard shortcuts. Thanks for any help.
        • 1. Re: question about mac osx
          michael novia Level 1
          Well, welcome aboard OSX - you might never go back!

im not sure what's happening, ive tried it here, and the same thing happens?
          I would assume some functionality to it, but im not sure at the moment. For me, i hate using cmd+tab, its actually slower than moving to the dock to reopen a window.

However, when you switch using CMD+tab, you are selecting the program, just not maxmizing the child windows that it contains.
          • 2. Re: question about mac osx
            Rothrock Level 5
            You couldn't join the Apple forums? Strange.

In any event. There is no keyboard shortcut to bring a document from the dock. You either need to click on the documents icon or the application icon. Kind of annoying, but they haven't changed that behavior yet and there have been lots of complaints.

If you don't put things in the dock you won't have to do that. You can use apple-tab to switch between applications and apple-~ to switch between documents within and application. There is also expose for jumping around between windows.
            • 3. Re: question about mac osx
              Level 7
              Am 02.06.2006 12:47 Uhr schrieb "codescodescodes" unter
              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> in e5p50r$9so$1@forums.macromedia.com:

> Hi everyone. I know this is an odd place to post this thread, but I tried to
              > find a mac forum to post on, but I couldn't post on them because in order to
              > register I had to have an email account that wasn't free. I don't understand
              > why. I gave up trying to find a mac forum that I can use, so I decided to
              > give
              > this a try since there are some of you out there running Flash on the mac osx.
              > I'm new to the mac and I'm trying to get aquainted with the operating system,
              > but I came across a problem that I can't seem to figure out. When I minimize
              > and application, let's say safari, and I switch to another application, let's
              > say textEdit, and I minimize that and go back to safari, using the command+Tab
              > shortcut key, the browser window doesn't open. It remains minimized and I
              > can't find a shortcut key to maximize the browser. So I have a blank screen
              > showing Safari in the menu bar, so I know that Safari is the active
              > application, but no browser window is present because of the previous minimize
              > command I executed. I know I can just use my mouse and scroll over the dock
              > and click on the safari browser, but I wanted to see if there is a way to do
              > it
              > using keyboard shortcuts. Thanks for any help.
              >

Hello,
              I haven't found such a shortcut yet. Instead I use a little programm named
              'Witch'. It is freeware and you can get it via versiontracker.com
              ( http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25871). It enables you to
              use 'alt+tab' two switch between the application windows (also those that
              are minimized in the dock) instead of just tabbing between the applications.
              After installing you can configure it via the system preferences.

If you figure out a native osx shortcut, please let me know. :-)

I hope this helps,
              Nils

• 4. Re: question about mac osx
                codescodescodes Level 1
                thanks everyone. That was definitely helpful. So I guess there's no real solution as of right now. That's a bit diappointing. I'm going to just have to keep the windows open on the desktop instead and switch between applications that way. I hope they come out with a patch for this problem. Would be nice to have an organized desktop and be able to switch between open applications. Overall, I still like the mac platform. Well good luck out there everyone.
                • 5. Re: question about mac osx
                  cadaop Level 1
                  Hi there!

You can also hide any application using "command + H", you can call it back with "command + tab" or just clicking in the app icon.
                  • 6. Re: question about mac osx
                    codescodescodes Level 1
                    oh by the way, if anyone out there can point me to a good forum where I can discuss about macs that would be really helpful. I wasn't able to find one that I can easily use. Thanks.
                    • 7. Re: question about mac osx
                      Rothrock Level 5
                      Whether you can use it easily or not http://discussions.apple.com/ is the definitive Apple forum. There is no better.