5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 3:30 AM by ssprengel

Self Destructing Video File

dineshk69818667

Is there any way to create self-Destructing or one-time use offline Videos?, I will be Creating a composition in After Effects and So will Render it, I will be sharing the video file with a friend which he will be download it to his device, He should able to watch the video only once and after that video should either delete automatically or the viewer should not able to watch the video again,.. 

• 1. Re: Self Destructing Video File
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That's technically impossible. All such stuff like Snapchat is server-driven and requires active executable code that deletes the file. You would have to write an app and embed the video into it to actualyl be able to delete it or at least block it from being played more than once.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Self Destructing Video File
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In other words send it as a direct message via SnapChat.  Both of you will need SnapChat, which is a smart-phone app.  I think you can watch a direct-message video, twice.  If your friend is savvy enough they can probably record the screen while playing the video the first time and be able to replay the screen-capture video as many times as they want.  A variation would be to record a video of the phone screen from one phone while playing the video on the other phone and be able to play that recording as many times as they want.  If they don't think of those things and are prepared, already, then it might work.

There are, or at least have been, some unauthorized apps that pretend to be SnapChat and allow more devious things to be done, I think Casper is one, but SnapChat is wise to their use and will ban a user if they detect such usage and try pretty hard to make things not work for any app that isn't the legit SnapChat, so, again, if your friend uses SnapChat in the way it is supposed to be used they'll be able to watch the video once or twice then it's deleted from their phone.  Of course if this is a video of illegal activity and an authorized government entity gets a subpoena then they may be able to request SnapChat provide a copy of the video if it's still on their servers, somewhere.  It's also possible that there is a payfor version of SnapChat with more capabilities but I have no idea about that.

• 3. Re: Self Destructing Video File
              dineshk69818667 Level 1

What is Video Encryption?, Does Video Encryption has anything to do with it?,..

• 4. Re: Self Destructing Video File
                dineshk69818667 Level 1

Can't We manually add any Data or Rendering Strategies to a Video, while it's has been created, to do so the inaccessible process.

• 5. Re: Self Destructing Video File
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A video file is just data, it won't change or delete itself.

The video-player app must do something to the video to make it non-playable after displaying the video one time.  Most video-player apps that are now available don't have a one-time-play function, so if the video is playable in many video-player apps then it can be played over and over.  SnapChat is one app that has a 2-time-play function as described, above.

Unless you create the video-player app as well as the video, or use a specific app like SnapChat to transmit the video, then there is nothing to stop another video player app from displaying the video over and over.