20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 12:00 AM by Alan Craven

Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard

Alan Craven Level 4

I know, I know, the graphics card is overkill for my present system!  But it will be fine for my 2017 system, and I got it at a very good price, and I know it will work with Premiere CS6, thanks to Harm.

I have tried two samples of this graphics card and neither will give any output to the monitor.  At boot the system gives the single beep indicating that the graphics card has been recognized, but the monitor remains blank and the system does not boot.

I have the latest BIOS - 1704 - which is said to give improved compatibility of GTX980 cards.  I have reset CMOS, juggled the PCIe boot setting in CSM, etc, etc all without success. The CPU is 3930K, 32Gb of GSkill memory, and a Dark Power pro 1200W PSU. I used two pairs of 6-pin PCI connectors with 6 to 8-pin adapters, plus a third PCI connection to the motherboard socket.

EVGA tell me the card has been tested by them working with X79 chipset motherboards - but not my actual board.

Does anyone have any experience of using this (or other GTX980) cards with my motherboard, or for that matter any other X79 chipset motherboard, please?

Is there perhaps a crucial BIOS setting that I have missed?

• 1. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What driver version are you using (do not answer latest as that means nothing)?

Have you tried just slightly tipping the board to each side sometimes the old motherboard contacts just are not making completely good contact, I have had a problem like that.

I just checked to see if Harm (before he past away) might have ever tried his new GPU in his old system and did not find any results.  I did find that in the New Monster where he had a GTX 980 Ti he used a 361.43 driver if you what to try a rollback on the driver.

• 2. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
            Alan Craven Level 4

Thanks for responding, Bill - you were one of my main hopes here with all your testing!

I never get as far as drivers - the system just sits there with a blank screen.  Most of my testing has been done with the old drivers removed and cleaned out.  I have tried with both 355.60 and 368.91 in place.  As a side issue, I have yet to find a cast iron way of stopping Windows 10 installing its own choice of driver when I revert to the GTX680 - editing Group Policy is the best solution I have found, but it still sometimes gets through.

I have swapped back and forth between my trusty GTX680 and this new card so many times over the past ten days, that the contacts are probably worn out!  I have tried other slots as well.

I have tried a simulated new system - re-set CMOS, Areca card removed and all existing drives disconnected, and a single empty 256GB SSD on SATA port 1, with no joy.

About the only thing I have not tried is to remove all but one of the 8 RAM sticks - with my luck as it is at present, if it is a dodgy RAM stick it would be the one left in!

Every time I need to try a different setting, I replace the GTX680, and the system boots as it always did.

The card is with EVGA at the moment being RMA'd, so I cannot try anything further.

If it will not work, so be it.  I plan to build a cut down (8 port Areca rather than 24 port) version of Harm's new monster next year, and the card will keep for that.

If possible, though, I would like to get some mileage out of it in the meantime.  I bought it now as I could get an over-clocked card for under £400 here in the UK, which is an absolute bargain.  Vanilla GTX980s are already becoming hard to get here.

• 3. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
              JEShort01 Level 4

Alan,

That card (GTX 980 Ti) should certainly work with your x79 Asus workstation motherboard. You're power supply seems pretty capable as well.

I'm wondering if your issue may have something to do with video cabling? I've had some issues with the latest cards (I have several GTX 980 Ti's BTW) when I first put in the card and try to connect with certain monitors. In fact, I am going to hang onto a good old DVI / VGA 8 year old monitor so that I can see things like UEFI bios, etc. since this doesn't seem to always be perfectly supported with 900 series cards + Displayport 4K cables, etc.

What type of video cable and monitor are you using for the 680 and also for the 980 Ti?

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i also agree it should work. that cpu is only pcie gen 2.0, did you try changing the pcie gen setting in the bios for the slot you put the video card in? you said you tried the csm setting, but did you try the other related options for legacy vs uefi and disable secure boot? did you try to dual boot with the gtx 680 as primary and gtx 980 ti in another slot? were you getting a q-code on the motherboard when it wouldn't boot?

• 5. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
                  Alan Craven Level 4

Jim, thank you!

I have tried all three outputs: DVI using the same cable as with the GTX680, HDMI (2 different cables, both known to work OK), and Display Port.  The result is always the same - blank screen and no boot.

My monitor is a nearly new EIZO CS240.  I have also tried with a TV using the HDMI output, with identical results.  Unfortunately I have no other monitors available.

most tests were done with the old drivers stripped out, but I have tried with a recent Nvidia driver installed and left the system ample time to boot and load Windows - again no result.

• 6. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
                    Alan Craven Level 4

RoninEdits, Thank you.

You may have something with the PCIe gen 2 CPU - The PCI gen settings in the BIOS are on AUTO: but gen 3 is available.  When I get the card back the first thing I will try is setting this to gen 3.  I shall have to do this with the GTX680 connected to access the BIOS, so I will try your dual boot idea.  That will certainly save me a lot of time and effort by avoiding swapping cards each time I want to access the BIOS.

I tried with secure boot disabled.  The only place I could find a legacy vs UEFI was in the CSM.  The manual is no help here as the BIOS screens with the later BIOS bear no resemblance to those depicted in the manual.

The Q code was not always the same - with the GTX680 it is AA.  I did not take much notice of the display when trying the 980, but I do remember seeing 29.

• 7. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard

That AA is what I see when working with multiple different card on on my ASUS X99, but it does not guarantee me that my monitor shows anything when my GPU misbehaves.  My X99 Q-Code table does not show a 29 but that is the memory region on my board.

• 8. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
                        JEShort01 Level 4

Alan,

How about instead of forcing PCIe to gen 2, instead of gen 3! I think that would be a safer bet.

Jim

• 9. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard

like jim says, try gen 2.0 instead of 3.0, as the cpu you have is spec at gen 2.0. the motherboard was gen 3.0 "ready" for the i7-4xxx cpu's that are gen 3.0 spec.

Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Processor (12M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) Specifications

• 10. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
                            Alan Craven Level 4

Thank you guys!

At the moment the card is with EVGA being checked out.  You have given me a new and very promising angle on this, and I will report back some time next week when I get the card back.

I should have tried here sooner - I got more help in a couple of hours here than I did in a couple of weeks with EVGA and Asus!

• 11. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
                              Alan Craven Level 4

EVGA eventually sent me yet another brand new GTX980 Ti, but i could get nowhere with this either.  Eventually I abandoned the attempt and put the new card to one side as I had editing to do.

I ended up bringing forward my 2017 system upgrade and splashed out on an Asus X99-deluxe II, Intel 6900K and 64 GB of Corsair 2666MHz Dominator memory.  Thankfully the 980 Ti works with this set up!  There was a heart stopping half minute at the first boot where nothing appeared to happen, but then the beep came and the post appeared on screen.

I am still in the process of building the system - my Areca 1882 is next in line.  The system is surprisingly slow to boot, there is still a good 15 seconds after switching on before the first beep of the boot.

I have a 4GHz over-clock with a Noctua NHU14S cooler, and the system runs rather cooler than the old one.

Thanks for all the help!

• 12. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard

Great with your new system!

Alan Craven wrote:

I am still in the process of building the system - my Areca 1882 is next in line. The system is surprisingly slow to boot, there is still a good 15 seconds after switching on before the first beep of the boot.

I hope you have a boot SSD and after things get going smoothly there generally is a BIOS option that also speeds up the boot sequence

I have abandoned RAID for speed, as my workflow does not need anything more than M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 performance. 

Bill

• 13. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
                                  Alan Craven Level 4

Funds (lack 0f!) meant I had to stick with my old drive set up for now.

My boot drive is an ageing Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB.  That will be replaced with a new 850 Pro 512 GB as soon as possible.

The Deluxe 2 board has 1 M2 slot, a PCIe card for a second M2, also 2 U2 ports.  So next in line will be either a U2 1.2GB or as large an M2 as I can get for media.  The Areca RAID will then be downgraded to storage.  As there is a Thunderbolt card with the board, I might move the RAID to an external Thunderbolt box to improve airflow in the case.

The BIOS shows fast boot is selected, but the problem comes immediately after preesing the power switch - it takes an age for the first beep of POST.  After that Windows loads fairly quickly.  I have not got round yet to by-passing the Areca BIOS set up which takes over 30 seconds.  There is a setting in CSM for this.

• 14. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard

what power supply do you have? is it brand new or from the old build?

• 15. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
                                      Alan Craven Level 4

The PSU is from the old build, but virtually new - I bought it with the GTX980 Ti, reasoning that my old 1000 W PSU might be stressed by the new card, 8 drive Areca RAID etc.

It is a Dark Power Pro 1200 W model.  I am running two 2x6 pin PCIe power leads into 8 pin adapters for the GTX980.  I have 24-pin, 8-pin and 4-pin power connections to the motherboard.

Once it is up and running it all seems fine.  it is certainly blisteringly fast at some tasks compared with the old  system which was no slouch itself!

There is quite a bit around on the net, particularly from Gamers commenting on the new ASUS boards being slow to POST.

Thanks for your continued interest!

• 16. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
                                        Alan Craven Level 4

I installed the latest NVidia driver, and deselected the installation of Nvidia GeForce Experience, Physix, and 3D Vision

and installed only the Graphic Drivers.

Despiter this, the Nvidia installer has included this group of autostart programs that slowdown the Windows startup

-Conhost
                                        -WLMerger Application
                                        -Nvidia Backend

Are these tasks necessary, and can I disable them via Task Manager?

As I am using CS6, I would also like to disable Adobe updates - there seem to be two things in Startup: Adobe CS6 Service manager, and Adobe updater startup utility.  Can I also disable these two?

• 17. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard

when i open file properties and look at details for conhost.exe, it says its from microsoft, not nvidia. unless something has changed, i have been able to disable all nvidia and adobe startup items with no problems in the past. if a startup item is needed for the program to run, they usually will launch those startup items when the main program is opened. you can run msconfig.exe to deselect startup items and services that you don't want/need. i would caution you to avoid disabling any microsoft stuff, unless you know what you are doing or following a guide...

• 18. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
                                            Alan Craven Level 4

Interesting, I've not checked them, but the three come up together as a group under Nvidia in Task Manager.

I've disabled "Apple Push" from Startup - Lord knows how that got there, I am an Apple Free Zone.

I suspect the main Startup hog is my Brother MFC printer.  I will try disabling its functions one at a time.

I see Black Viper has repeated his tune up list for Windows 10, so I will have a look at that.

• 19. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard

there is a free windows program called "Easy Service Optimizer", that configures windows services. i'm not sure if the creator of the program follows the black viper guides exactly or not, but it looks like you can modify and save presets if you need.

there is also a program from spybot called "anti-beacon" that is suppose to block the windows 10 spyware. it appears to blocks some services for performance and blocks ip addresses for privacy. microsoft also has a habit of re-enabling these after updates, so programs like these that automate system changes are good time savers for combating microsoft's questionable business practices.

• 20. Re: Will a EVGA GTX980 Ti work on an Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard
                                                Alan Craven Level 4

Many thanks! I have Anti-Beacon, but I will look into the other one.

I had already discovered Microsoft's antics with switching privacy features back on .