6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 5:28 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Is my overall AE and ME perforemence extremely slow or am i just delusional...

DropCommunity

Hey Guys.

I've just bought my new computer and i'm using After Effects CC 2015 and Media Encoder CC 2015 for my YouTube projects.

My specs are:

CPU: i7 6700K.

GPU: GTX 1070

RAM: 16GB of DDR4 2400Mhz

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB.

HHD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB.
      System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

External effects used:
      Trapcode & Sound Keys & Twitch

Project File:
      http://www.filedropper.com/trapempireproject

Basically my old computer was very very slow, had a GTX 210 i think, an i5 750 and a really slow HHD.

it took me hours to render videos that other people rendered in less then 40 minutes and i got sick and tired of it and invested in a ultra computer for gaming and rendering.

But to my surprise this computer is actually performing worse then what other people told me their computers perform with lesser (lot lesser) specs.

I can't figure out if something is wrong with my AE or system in general or are my expectations too high and the performance im receiving is right on the dot of what should be and is good.

This project file is the project i am trying to render with Adobe Media Encoder and After Effects (same render time with both).

It takes me 2 and a half hours to render this project.

Also when i preview render in after effects it gives me a 1-2 seconds of real time and then goes into not real time preview rendering 15 fps out of 60 with the quarter quality and 1-2 fps on full quality.

So i'm really confused.

Please if somebody can, download this project file and render it on your computer and tell me how long it takes you and if something is wrong with my pc tell me how i can improve it to get the best render time possible !

My Render settings are:

H.264

60FPS

VBR 1

10-12 bit-rate

Use Maximum Render Quality

• 1. Re: Is my overall AE and ME perforemence extremely slow or am i just delusional...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There's a zillion bugs in the CC 2015.x versions of AE and that's all there is to say.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is my overall AE and ME perforemence extremely slow or am i just delusional...
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

I downloaded your project. I don't have the plugins right now, but there are potentially problematic issues and I will address them.

there are things you need to keep in mind:

1. you are working in 32bit - if you know what you are doing then it's fine but keep in mind it is resource intensive. 60fps is too.
            2. there are two instances of particular which is also intensive, and your are using it for 3:30 minutes on FullHD so I am assuming a rather slow performance is what you should expect.
            3. you imported a raster logo to your project that is enormous - 5000x5000 px when it should be 11% of that (I know because that's how you scaled it down). by scaling it in Ae, and not preparing the file before hand, you are calculating information that you could avoid. this additional calculation could make the render much slower especially if you have effects applied to this layer and they have to work 10 times harder to accommodate that many pixels.

about troubleshooting projects that render slow:

if you are rendering through Ae you can watch as it renders, where it halts and what's keeping it working hard. by narrowing down the problem you can see what effect is working hard - and maybe work it a different way.

for example you got many glow effects on many layers, it could be that you could make do with one instance on a precomp of couple of elements together. maybe some combinations of effects do work so well and you could make it with only half of these.

about Preview in After effects:

sometimes you can't expect to preview your composition in 100% full quality in a reasonable amount of time - there's just too much to calculate. so you have a choice - Preview at 100% full quality and cache the frames before you watch, make a phone call, and return after 5 minutes and see what you have made OR Preview at 50% or 25% with half or quarter of quality, and see it pretty fast.

see after you resolved all of this - if it's still that slow.

• 3. Re: Is my overall AE and ME perforemence extremely slow or am i just delusional...
              jones1351 Level 1

Here's hoping you still check in on this thread.

'you imported a raster logo to your project that is enormous - 5000x5000 px when it should be 11% of that (I know because that's how you scaled it down). by scaling it in Ae, and not preparing the file before hand, you are calculating information that you could avoid. this additional calculation could make the render much slower especially if you have effects applied to this layer and they have to work 10 times harder to accommodate that many pixels.'

You may have touched on a recent problem I'm having with AE/AME renders. Up till my most recent project, render times hovered around 40 - 45 minutes for videos as long as 3:00 minutes (a long time for AE). On this most recent project the render time jumped to an eye popping 3 - 4 hours. After reading your post, I notice that a few of my files are 5k px or larger, which I squeeze into a 1080 frame without as you say, 'preparing the file before hand'. I think this may be my problem but I'm cloudy on what you mean by 'preparing'. Do you mean pre-compose? Could you expound some.

Much appreciated in advance.

• 4. Re: Is my overall AE and ME perforemence extremely slow or am i just delusional...
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Preparing means not in Ae but in Ps if we're talking Raster images. Read here:Preparing and importing still images in After Effects

If you have any more question, try to be specific and me and the other geeks will be here

• 5. Re: Is my overall AE and ME perforemence extremely slow or am i just delusional...
                  DropCommunity Level 1

Unfortunetely i prepared a 550x550 logo size and put it in the project and yes the time has gone down a bit ( i think ) but its still the same case.

• 6. Re: Is my overall AE and ME perforemence extremely slow or am i just delusional...
                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Drop Community,
                    Did you ever solve your issue? Did Roei's advice assist you at all? Please let us know. If you need further assistance, also let us know.

Thanks,

Kevin