31 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 10:09 PM by nicola41

Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)

nicola41

Hi everyone!

Recently I've some problem with Lr, sometimes Lr damage my photos when I develop or just see that. I think Lr damage just the xmp file because if I find the original raw in the hd I can see the raw ok, but in Lr I see a lot of problem so I think the problem is the xmp file. I don't know how that occur because as I said before sometimes it happens when I just see the photo.

Recently I've changed my computer so it could be correlated.

Lightroom 6.4

Computer: iMac retina 2015 with 24Gb Ram, graphic card AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB. The Catalogue is on an external HD My Book3T via usb 3.0

Gear: Nikon D600

Here the problem: 

_VPP8327_zpscz6q4rht.jpg

_VPP0730-HDR_zpsauxwzjma.jpg

• 1. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
          DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Its unlikely the xmp file is the problem Lightroom by default reads and writes to the Lightroom Catalog file. It can also write most of the data to xmp but that is only used by photoshop and other Adobe Applications.

There may be a problem with Lightroom and your Graphics Processor go to Lightroom>Preferences>Performance> Deselect "use Graphics Processor" and then see if the problem goes away.

The other likely issue is that the Raw file data has become corrupt and whet you are seeing when you use another application to view the raw file the application is displaying the jpeg thumbnail.

Let us know if disconnecting the Graphics Processor works and if not then we can assist further.

• 2. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
            nicola41 Level 1

I'll try asap!

• 3. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
              nicola41 Level 1

I'm trying just now. The damaged photos still remain damaged   , by now i'll take 2 or 3 days to check if the issues continue or not

• 4. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)

Could you post a link to one of the raw files utilising a service like Dropbox. That way someone can verify if the file is in fat corrupted.

This type of corruption is usually caused by faulty hardware, i.e. Card Reader, USB Cable, Hard Drive failing, Faulty RAM etc.

• 6. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)

I opened one of your files just fine. See the screen capture. A capture of the second file is attached.

There must be some other problem. Did you deselect the Graphics Processor as I advised. When you do the change in the preferences quit Lightroom then reload.

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 5.09.57 PM copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 5.55.47 PM copy.jpg

• 7. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                    Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It does look like a RAM issue as rendering raw files stresses RAM and will show up issues that otherwise may not appear.

Can you try the files on another computer to verify??

• 8. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                      nicola41 Level 1

Yesterday I tried to do that, to deselect Graphics Processor. For now no photos were damaged but it's too early to understand.

I also tried to open the catalogue in my old macbook pro but the damaged photos still remain damaged, so i still think the problem is not in the raw files (as Dde Gannes proved) but in the file that contain the modify correlated whit the raw. furthermore I tried that: select the damaged photo - find in the hdd - copy on the desktop - delete just the photo in the catalogue via Lr - import the photo from desktop to Lr catalogue via Lr = photo is ok, no damage! That's why I think when I see that colored lines it'n not a problem of the raw file but the related file. When I delete the photo via Lr the related file as well disappear and when I import the photo again I've no problem, the photo is ok! And tha't why when I see the same catalogue in a different computer I still see the problem, because the catalogue is the same, with the same damaged correlated file. That's my opinion, the real problem is that I've no idea why and how the related file go corrupt. I've experienced this issue 3 times, 2 times while I was develop my photos and 1 time while I was just scroll and see my catalogue.

Ram issue could make sense because ram and external HDD are the only think not custom in my configuration but if i still see the problem in a difference computer that make not sense.

• 9. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

nicola41 wrote:

Recently I've changed my computer so it could be correlated.

Lightroom 6.4

Computer: iMac retina 2015 with 24Gb Ram, graphic card AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB. The Catalogue is on an external HD My Book3T via usb 3.0

Gear: Nikon D600

Please update to the latest version of LR (6.6.1) and make sure 'Use Graphics Processor' is NOT checked as shown below. From inside LR go to Help> Updates. You'll need to do this on both of your Mac systems.

• 10. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                          nicola41 Level 1

I didn't noticed there was an update! I'll go now!

Ok (after the update), in any case i tried several time to activate and the activate the graphic processor and, with the damaged photo selected, switch between library and develop module on both computer.

At the first time when I switched from library to develop module the photo showed the error just for half second and then go ok (!!), do that for 3 o 4 times and now the photo seems to be autoreparated! I didn't do anything!

But just one, the other damaged photo still remain damaged with graphic processor activated and deactivated as well. It's a very weird random problem! I don't know why one photo it seems to be autoreparated just itself and the other one still remain damaged.

In any case graphic processor seems to be correlated to this problem, despite my iMac is the latest one and with the best graphic card.

Thank you for your help guys, and sorry if I can't provide you useful clue but as I show you this problem doesn't have a coerent pattern.

• 11. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                            dj_paige Level 9

At the first time when I switched from library to develop module the photo showed the error just for half second and then go ok (!!), do that for 3 o 4 times and now the photo seems to be autoreparated! I didn't do anything!

I'm not aware of a possible physical explanation for this, but this may indicate either hard drive or memory problems. If one day the file shows up as corrupted and the next day it shows up as uncorrupted, that sure seems to me like a sporadic hardware failure somewhere.

• 12. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)

nicola41 wrote:

What you are seeing is LR rebuilding the Library preview file.

nicola41 wrote:

But just one, the other damaged photo still remain damaged with graphic processor activated and deactivated as well. It's a very weird random problem! I don't know why one photo it seems to be autoreparated just itself and the other one still remain damaged.

In any case graphic processor seems to be correlated to this problem, despite my iMac is the latest one and with the best graphic card.

In the Library module Zoom in to 1:1 view, which will force the Library preview to be rebuilt.

I suggest shutting down all applications, shutdown your system OS, and then turn the power off on all connected devices (USB drives, etc.).  This will force a complete a complete reload of the system OS and drivers into memory, which can become corrupted over time. It's a good idea to do this once-a-week to help insure against memory data errors: Soft error - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 13. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                                nicola41 Level 1

Do that just now. Nothing changed    

• 14. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                                  nicola41 Level 1

mmmhhhh, hard drive and memory are the only 2 things not custom on my Imac, so this could make sense. I can try to take off not custom ram from imac and see.

• 15. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                                    nicola41 Level 1

Tried to remove additional non custom ram but nothing changed 

• 16. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                                      dj_paige Level 9

You need to run diagnostics on all of your memory and hard disk. You can't say that the custom parts are the problem, and you can't see that the non-custom parts are the problem. Any part of your computer could be the problem.

• 17. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)

nicola41 wrote:

The WD MyBook 3TB external drive may be going into its local sleep mode during inactivity with LR open causing catalog corruption.

I suggest moving the LR catalog to your system drive and see if that fixes the issue. This should also improve LR's performance. Concerning the one remaining file with this issue I suggest removing it from LR and then reimporting and see if that fixes it.

• 18. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                                          nicola41 Level 1

Quite difficult because the main driver is a 250GB SSD drive. Plus, when I tested the catalogue on a different mac I used another HDD (with the copy of the catalogue) and the problem was the same. So I don't think the issue is the hdd

• 19. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)

nicola41 wrote:

Plus, when I tested the catalogue on a different mac I used another HDD (with the copy of the catalogue) and the problem was the same. So I don't think the issue is the hdd

If the catalog file is corrupted you will see the same results on a different Mac (i.e. two image files with issues). Did you try removing and then reimporting those two image files to see if that fixes the preview image corruption?

nicola41 wrote:

Quite difficult because the main driver is a 250GB SSD drive.

What is the size is your LR catalog, how many image files in the catalog, and how much free space on your SSD. I have ~30,000 image files in my catalog and the catalog file + previews is ~27 GB. The SSD still has >100GB free space with numerous applications installed. You can reduce the Previews folder size by using the below catalog settings for Medium Preview Quality. This is actually high-quality and I've observed no issues with the Library preview image quality.

If you must keep the LR Catalog on the WD MyBook 3 TB drive turn off the local Sleep Mode using the below WD Drive utility. The drive will still power down when your system goes into sleep mode, but that shouldn't cause any issues with the LR catalog.

Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support

• 20. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                                              nicola41 Level 1

If the catalog file is corrupted you will see the same results on a different Mac (i.e. two image files with issues). Did you try removing and then reimporting those two image files to see if that fixes the preview image corruption?

Yes and it fixed the issue, so I though issue was not on the raw but in something on Lr

What is the size is your LR catalog, how many image files in the catalog, and how much free space on your SSD. I have ~30,000 image files in my catalog and the catalog file + previews is ~27 GB. The SSD still has >100GB free space with numerous applications installed. You can reduce the Previews folder size by using the below catalog settings for Medium Preview Quality. This is actually high-quality and I've observed no issues with the Library preview image quality.

Size of library (on WD MyBook 3 TB) is 242 GB

Size of catalogue (on iMac SSD) is 282 MB

Size of Preview file (on iMac SSD) is 24,83 GB

Size of Smart Preview file (on iMac SSD) is 18,43 GB

Whit this configuration (library on external HDD and catalogue and preview on internal SSD) I've had no issue on the old macbook pro for years

On the new iMac I've the same configuration but with difference gear (custom SSD directly from apple instead of seagate SSD and WD MyBook 3 TB instead of old WD external HDD)

Now the WD MyBook 3 TB go into sleep mode because I can hear some sound when it wake up.

• 21. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                                                Abambo Level 4

nicola41 wrote:

Quite difficult because the main driver is a 250GB SSD drive. Plus, when I tested the catalogue on a different mac I used another HDD (with the copy of the catalogue) and the problem was the same. So I don't think the issue is the hdd

You need to clear the previews after applying a solution. If the previews have been generated with errors, those errors stay until a new preview is generated.

Your second image of your original post reminds me of a graphic card problem I had years ago.

• 22. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                                                  nicola41 Level 1

I tried also to clean and repair with "Clean my mac" app

Schermata%202016-08-01%20alle%2009.02.15_zpspnbnwypu.png

So in fact there are some problem with My Book 3T. Last line means (Verify and repair "My Book 3T" not done"

and in other pop up:

Error: -69673: Unable to unmount volume for repair

Note: Your partition map does not use the entire space of your whole-disk. You should use repairDisk.

Started file system repair on disk2s1 My Book 3T

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required

• 23. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)

nicola41 wrote:

Yes and it fixed the issue, so I though issue was not on the raw but in something on Lr

Yes, and that was most likely corruption in the Catalog Preview cache.

nicola41 wrote:

Leave the Library on the WD MyBook 3 TB and move the LR Catalog, Previews folder and Smart Preview folder to the 256 GB SSD.

.28 GB + 24.8 GB + 18.4 GB = 43.5 GB

How much available space do you have on the 256 GB SSD. You only need 43.5 GB.

• 24. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)

nicola41 wrote:

I tried also to clean and repair with "Clean my mac" app

You should only do this after running a complete backup of the ALL the files and folders on the WD MyBook 3 TB drive to a 2nd external hard drive. Do have a 2nd backup drive? Have you copied everything over to that drive, including LR Catalog Backups? If not STOP–You run the risk of losing ALL your picture image files and LR Catalog file!

nicola41 wrote:

So in fact there are some problem with My Book 3T. Last line means (Verify and repair "My Book 3T" not done"

and in other pop up:

Error: -69673: Unable to unmount volume for repair

Note: Your partition map does not use the entire space of your whole-disk. You should use repairDisk.

Started file system repair on disk2s1 My Book 3T

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required

I have no experience using CleanMyMac, but it appears to be a false error report. The WD MyBook drive has a hidden partition with WD SmartWare applications, which appears to be confusing the CleanMyMac utility. I suggest NOT using CleanMyMac with the WD MyBook drive. Instead use the WD Drive Utility, which I posted in my reply #19 here.

1) Backup the complete contents of your WD MyBook drive to a 2nd separate external drive.

2) Turn OFF Sleep mode as outlined in my Reply #19 .

3) Download and install WD Drive Utilities (see reply #19)

2) Using WD Drive Utilities run the three tests as shown below on your WD MyBook 3TB external drive.

• 25. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)

Quote "How much available space do you have on the 256 GB SSD. You only need 43.5 GB."

I think this is one of his most critical issues for when is all said and done he needs to keep a minimum of 50GB free on this drive at all times and may well even be contributing to his present problems.

• 26. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)

The 43.5 GB reference is to the amount of space needed to move the LR catalog file and previews from the external USB drive to the system SSD drive. I agree that with a 256 GB SSD you should leave ~50 GB free space.

• 27. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)

According to a earlier post by nicola41 they already on the SSD. Overall 256GB is not large by any means and that is why I am suggesting that it may be one of the reasons that the problem is being experienced.

• 28. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                                                              nicola41 Level 1

First of all thank you for all your support!

I already have catalogue and preview on internal SSD. Just the library is on the "my book 3T"!

In any case internal SSD have 73GB of free space on 250GB  (by now trying to increase that space)

WD My book have 2,52 TB of free space on 3TB  (just Lr and iTunes library)

I already have 3 copy of library and catalogue in 3 different ext HDD, I'm not fool! Every month I do a complete backup

WD Drive utlility downloaded, trying to do a check

• 29. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                                                                nicola41 Level 1

Steps 1 e 2 accomplished without problem

Turned off sleep mode

Complete drive test (it takes a lot of time) tonight

• 30. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)

nicola41 wrote:

In any case internal SSD have 73GB of free space on 250GB (by now trying to increase that space)

WD My book have 2,52 TB of free space on 3TB (just Lr and iTunes library)

Two things you can do to increase free space on the SSD system drive:

1) Make sure ALL media files (Pictures, Music, Videos) and document files (MS Office, PDFs, etc) are moved to the external drive.

2) Use 'Medium' Preview Quality setting located in LR Catalog Settings> File Handling tab. You will need to change this setting first, close LR, and then delete the LR catalog folder named Catalog Previews.lrdata. Browsing in the Library module will be slower until the previews are rebuilt. If you don't do a lot of reviewing in the Library module at 1:1 view use 'Build Standard Sized Previews' under menu Library> Previews. You can rebuild the previews manually by folder or rebuild ALL by selecting Catalog> 'All Photographs. This could take a long time so you may want to run it over-night.

1 person found this helpful
                                                                  • 31. Re: Trouble with damaged xmp file (maybe)
                                                                    nicola41 Level 1

At the moment I have no issue with Lr, I'm using Lr not so much but no issue now. Hope something were fixed in some way. If I experience the problem again I comunicate here asap.

In any case thank you guys for  your support!