3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 3:18 PM by Ben, Typekit Support

Typekit and ip addresses

Rob Hecker2 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When one creates a Typekit kit, the domains to be used must be specified. This works for actual domains and virtual hosts.

However, the instructions say:

Add up to ten domains, e.g. “*.nytimes.com, localhost, 127.0.0.1”

This clearly suggests that ip addresses can be used to define the locations that can use the kit, but it does not work. I have several websites that share an ip address. If I just list the ip address in Typekit, the sites are unable to use the kit.

Am I missing something here?

• 1. Re: Typekit and ip addresses
          Ben, Typekit Support Adobe Employee

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the confusion here. If you visit that IP address in the browser, the fonts will work. However, if you visit the domain but that domain isn't in the kit, the fonts won't load. That's why the fonts aren't working. Those domains need to be listed in the kit.

I hope that clears things up. Let me know if you have any further questions. Have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Benjamin

• 2. Re: Typekit and ip addresses
            Rob Hecker2 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

OK. Thanks for the clarification, Benjamin.

Therefore, if I have twelve websites that I want to use MyriadPro or Lato on, for instance, and also twelve virtual hosts in my development environment to match them, I have a total of 24 locations, which means I must define three kits to support them, correct? No way to get around that?

Since this is a hosted CMS, it means I would have to write an ugly hack into the code to provide support for all locations. Not the end of the world; it's just messy to have to do it that way.

• 3. Re: Typekit and ip addresses
              Ben, Typekit Support Adobe Employee

Hi Robert,

Right now, that is correct. 3 kits to cover 24 different domains.

I'm sorry we don't have a way around that for you. I'll definitely share your feedback with the team. Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Benjamin