5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 6:58 AM by mikenmaroo

Indesign data merge won't print all pages

mikenmaroo

This has happened to me twice now...so pretty sure it's a real thing. I've created an InDesign document with a data merge in order to print addresses on envelopes. The InDesign document is 543 pages, so 543 addresses. Because I'm using oversize envelopes, I need to manual-feed them through my laser printer about 15 at a time, which takes a while. I hit "Print" and the printing begins normally. When the job finished printing, I checked the addresses, and discovered that I had two sets of the first 200 or so addresses, and none of the last 300-ish addresses. It appears that the document somehow "reset" and cycled back to printing from page 1 at some point during the print job. Note that I only hit "Print" once, for all of the pages in the document, so I am wondering whether this is a bug of some sort.

As I mentioned, this has happened twice, and it's pure luck that I caught it, otherwise I would be sending duplicate letters to some of our customers, and no letters to the rest. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mary

I should note: Using InDesign CC 2015.4, Mac ElCapitan, 10.11.6.

• 1. Re: Indesign data merge won't print all pages
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Try to copy placeholder fields to a new indesign document, and run data merge without preview. Data merge preview is buggy.

• 2. Re: Indesign data merge won't print all pages
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First question is are the pages of the document correct? If that's the case it isn't a data merge bug (and to the best of my knowledge Data Merge preview is reliable for one record per page merges).

If it's not a bad doc, does it work correctly if you export the file to PDF and print from Acrobat? Direct print from ID is not particulary reliable with some printer drivers.

If it fails from the PDF as well the problem is in the printer -- something internal is a causing it to reset.

• 3. Re: Indesign data merge won't print all pages
              mikenmaroo Level 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Peter. Yes, the merged document is correct. I'll try your suggestion about exporting and printing from a PDF next time I need to run a job like this, which will be in about two weeks.

Truthfully, it "feels" like a printer driver issue, but I thought I would throw it out there, just in case someone else had the same experience. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again,

Mary

• 4. Re: Indesign data merge won't print all pages
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you considered printing labels instead of the envelopes themselves? You might save time (and money) printing fewer sheets N-up and applying the labels to the envelopes by hand.

DO NOT USE PREVIEW in Data Merge if you do a multiple records per page merge.

• 5. Re: Indesign data merge won't print all pages
                  mikenmaroo Level 1

I actually did end up using data merge to create 30-up labels to cover the misprinted addresses, so thankfully I didn't have to throw out 300 four-colour custom-printed envelopes. Ultimately, though, I would like to be able to just feed the envelopes in the printer and have it spit out the correct address....We'll see with the next printing!

The unfortunate part is that I don't know that the job has "reset" back to page one until it's finished printing, so I'll have to keep a close eye on the envelopes as they exit the printer.

Thanks again,

Mary