3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2006 10:59 AM by Newsgroup_User

Saving a image without a background

Tony024
      I did the tutorial on Removing Image Backgrounds with Fireworks. That works great, but I don't know how to save a image without a background. I am trying to save it for a website. I have Fireworks 8.0. I tried to save it as a Alpha Transparency GIF file , but the image is poor. I don't know the correct way of saving this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Tony
        • 1. Re: Saving a image without a background
          Level 7
          On Tue, 16 May 2006 19:37:46 +0400, Tony024 <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
          wrote:

> I did the tutorial on Removing Image Backgrounds with Fireworks. That
          > works
          > great, but I don't know how to save a image without a background. I am
          > trying
          > to save it for a website. I have Fireworks 8.0. I tried to save it as a
          > Alpha
          > Transparency GIF file , but the image is poor. I don't know the correct
          > way of
          > saving this.

GIF do not contain alpha transparency, only single color one. FW may use
          source image alpha to build GIF transparency, but result will still be
          single transparent color, that's why doing GIFs that way require setting
          "matte" to your page background.

PNGs may have alpha transparency but it fail under IE unless special trick
          is performed. One of the possible tricks should be described here:
          http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/

--
          Ilya Razmanov
          http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
          • 2. Re: Saving a image without a background
            Tony024 Level 1
            Ilya Razmanov,

I did have that problem viewing under IE 6 on one of my pc. My other pc is running IE 7 and it is fine. I am trying to save the image without any bacakground so I can upload it to dreamweaver 8.0 so that it can be viewed in any IE. I am trying to use a GIF or a JPEG file.

Thanks for helping me
            Tony

• 3. Re: Saving a image without a background
              Level 7
              On Tue, 16 May 2006 20:48:12 +0400, Tony024 <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
              wrote:

> Ilya Razmanov,
              >
              > I did have that problem viewing under IE 6 on one of my pc. My other
              > pc is
              > running IE 7 and it is fine. I am trying to save the image without any
              > bacakground so I can upload it to dreamweaver 8.0 so that it can be
              > viewed in
              > any IE. I am trying to use a GIF or a JPEG file.

Official JPEG specs does not allow any transparency at all, so save your
              time and quit trying it. GIF only support limited colors (up to 256), one
              of that can be assigned as "transparent". So when FW exports GIF from a
              source file that have any partial transparency, it "premixes" any partial
              transparent color of source with "matte" color. In case the latter
              correspond to average color of your page background, and your page
              background is not too wild and colorful, and you are not using too wide
              partially transparent stuff, it normally work well.

Among the image formats common on the Web, only PNG provides true partial
              transparency. Alas, IE still does not correctly understand that part of
              PNG specs that was set years ago. So if you definitely positevely can't
              live without transparency things that are available in GIFs, PNG plus
              specific CSS and\or Javascript trics is the only way to go. However, I'd
              personally make sure I can't live with old limited GIFs before going that
              way.

--
              Ilya Razmanov
              http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters