39 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 1:09 PM by JimHess

Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

7esiwnod9

I had to upgrade my version of Lightroom 6 after upgrading to Windows 10. Not Lightroom says I need Camera Raw 9.6 when I try to send files from Lightroom to Photoshop. I downloaded and installed Camera Raw 9.6 but I still have the problem.

Please help. I need my computer working ASAP.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi Esiwnod,

You need to update Lightroom 6 to the latest version 6.6.1,click help<updates.

If the update does not show, try updating manually from the link: Keeping Lightroom Up-to-Date

Let me know if it helps.

Regards

Tanuj

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
            7esiwnod9 Level 1

Thank you for the reply. It was the update to Lightroom 6.6.1 that caused the problem. I had to upgrade to 6.6.1 after upgrading to Windows 10.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

You are welcome, glad to help.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                7esiwnod9 Level 1

How can I get this working again? Everything was working fine until the Lightroom 6.6.1 upgrade.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

I am sorry, what is the version of Photoshop installed on your computer?

It seems that the RAW file you are transferring from Lightroom to Photoshop needs camera raw 9.6 or above.

If you have Photoshop CC 2015 installed on your computer, please make sure that it updated to the latest version CC 2015.5.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                    DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "How can I get this working again? Everything was working fine until the Lightroom 6.6.1 upgrade."

OK so you have LR 6.6.1. installed. (this is the perpetual licensed version, the latest)

What version of Photoshop do you have installed? (Hint Lightroom and Photoshop are two different applications, Lightroom does not use the ACR Plugin, Photoshop uses the ACR Plugin.)

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

It seems that is an issue, camera raw from CS6 updates to 9.1.1.

And the files you were trying to open needs Camera Raw 9.6 or above.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                        7esiwnod9 Level 1

It appears that Camera Raw 9.6 is not installing correctly. I can still open raw files directly with Photoshop CS6, but they open in Camera Raw 9.1.1. But I get a message saying that Camera ARaw 9.6 is needed when I try to send files from Lightroom to Photoshop.I get a message sa

I have installed Camera Raw 9.6 twice.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

Camera Raw 9.6 will not be installed with Photoshop CS6, the maximum that CS6 can be updated for camera raw is 9.1.1

• 12. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

The latest version of ACR that can be installed in Photoshop CS6 is 9.1.1. So you cannot update the ACR Plugin in Photoshop CS6 to 9.6.1.

When you get the message that you need an ACR 9.6 you need to make the choice to use Lightroom. If you choose open anyway then any new features added after ACR 9.1.1 will not be applied.

Regards.

Please provide full info on the applications you are using when posting.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 13. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                              7esiwnod9 Level 1

Thank you. Should I select "Render using Lightroom" or "Open Anyway"?

• 14. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                7esiwnod9 Level 1

Do I lose anything by using "Render using Lightroom"?

• 15. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

Render using Lightroom if you wish the latest features.

Message to Adobe, Please remove the reference to Photoshop from the name of the Lightroom Application.

Lightroom is Lightroom it has nothing to do with Photoshop

• 16. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                    7esiwnod9 Level 1

Thanks again. If "Render using Lightroom" does everything, why did I need the Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in in the first place, unless I wanted to open a raw file directly with Photoshop?

• 17. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

If you are using the latest version of Lightroom to work with your raw files then you have little use for ACR.

Lightroom is an alternative to Adobe Camera Raw and Bridge, (Photoshop utilities) with many added modules for sharing , Web, Slideshow, Print, Book, Publish.

• 18. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                        7esiwnod9 Level 1

Thanks again. I remember now why I don't like using "Render with Lightroom" - It creates a needless TIFF, wasting storage space.I wish I could just do it the way I used to do it. My existing version of Lightroom 6 was fine for me. I was forced to upgrade Lightroom 6 to get a version that works with Windows 10, and I lost functionality in the process.

• 19. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                          7esiwnod9 Level 1

A friend of mine is using Lightroom 6.1 with Windows 10, so I don't know why I had to upgrade after switching to Windows 10.

• 20. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

7esiwnod9 wrote:

It appears that Camera Raw 9.6 is not installing correctly. I can still open raw files directly with Photoshop CS6, but they open in Camera Raw 9.1.1. But I get a message saying that Camera ARaw 9.6 is needed when I try to send files from Lightroom to Photoshop.I get a message sa

I have installed Camera Raw 9.6 twice.

Camera Raw 9.6 WON'T install in Photoshop CS6. The last version of camera raw you can use is version 9.1.1. Lightroom is checking and telling you that if you want full compatibility with all the features in Lightroom 6 then you need to have camera raw 9.6 installed for Photoshop. You can't do that. That is why you choose the option to render a copy. Then Lightroom will create the TIF file and that is what will open in Photoshop. Any time you edit a photo in Photoshop there will be a second file made. If Lightroom and camera raw are at the same level then the TIF file isn't created until the end of the Photoshop session. When camera raw is older, or not up to date with Lightroom then the TIF file has to be created first. In either case, whenever Photoshop is used the second file must be created because Photoshop cannot edit raw image data. So use the option to render a copy with Lightroom adjustments and move on. It is your best option. The only solution to getting Lightroom and camera raw at the same level would be for you to subscribe to the creative cloud photography package. And I suspect that is something you don't want to do.

The reason you started receiving that warning message is not because you upgraded to Windows 10, but rather that you upgraded to a newer version of Lightroom which is looking for a version of camera raw that you cannot use. So choose the option to render a copy with Lightroom adjustments, check the box that says don't show this again, and move on.

• 21. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                              7esiwnod9 Level 1

What happens if I choose "Open anyway"?

The perplexing thing  is that I have used Lightroom 6.1 and Photoshop CS6 on a friend's PC with Windows 10, but Lightroom 6.1 wouldn't run after I upgraded to Windows 10.

• 22. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

If you choose the Option to open anyway then any adjustments made in Lightroom that are new ones using new tools will be ignored, And consequently some of your critical adjustments could be lost. The TIF file will not be created first, but will be created at the end of the editing session. If you choose the option to render a copy, then all of the adjustments that you made in the Lightroom will become part of the TIF image. In my opinion, it really is the better option. But you can choose for yourself.

• 23. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                                  7esiwnod9 Level 1

Thanks for the continued replies.

I don't see any new tools in the Lightroom update. And glancing at the release notes I don't see any. Just bug fixes and such. So I'm not sure what I would be losing if I use "Open anyway"?

I wish I could have just kept using the version of Lightroom 6 that I was using before the Windows 10 upgrade.

• 24. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

At this point, you probably wouldn't be losing anything. If you weren't receiving that message before the upgrade to Windows 10 you may have already checked the box indicating not to show it again. You're obsessing over a very trivial issue. I don't remember what new features were added in camera raw that may affect the work you are doing. Regardless of what version of camera raw is installed, if you choose the option to open anyway then Photoshop uses camera raw to interpret the image that comes from Lightroom. And camera raw will apply all of the adjustments that it recognizes. There isn't a right and wrong answer. You can't make a bad choice. If you want to use open anyway then use it. If you don't see any differences then you're in good shape. If you see that you are missing some adjustments after the image has opened in Photoshop then you know that Lightroom has adjustments that your version of camera raw doesn't recognize. Try it both ways. I don't use open anyway thinking that you're going to eliminate the TIF image. That file will always be created. It will either be created at the beginning of the Photoshop session or at the end.

• 25. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                                      7esiwnod9 Level 1

I'm not seeing a TIFF created using "Open Anyway". Needing to create a TIFF file is not trivial in this customer's opinion.

• 26. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

You are right. The TIF file isn't created when you open the image in Photoshop. But if you do any adjustments at all in Photoshop and save  that work then the TIF file will be created when you close the image. Photoshop CANNOT edit raw image data. The way you're doing it your version of Camera Raw is converting the image to a pixel-based image at the beginning of the Photoshop session, but it isn't being saved to disk until you close it from Photoshop. You CANNOT just edit the raw image in Photoshop. That is true regardless of what version of camera raw and Photoshop you are using.

• 27. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                                          7esiwnod9 Level 1

The way I've been doing it prior to the upgrade, is, if I just save a JEPG and/or PSD file (with layers and such), a TIFF file is not created. If I use "Save" from Photoshop, a TIFF is created and imported into the Lightroom catalog.

• 28. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

If that is a problem for you then go to your Lightroom preferences and change the option under the tab, "External editing". The TIF file is being created because that is what is selected in your preferences. You can change it to PSD if you want. Saving it as a JPEG image is not something that I would choose to do from Photoshop because the JPEG format is a lossy file format. I choose to let Photoshop create the TIF image primarily because the TIF format is more universal. Then I export JPEG images when I need them for e-mail or posting on the web.

You'll find that the Lightroom preferences give you the choice of saving as TIF or PSD. The preferences do not give you the option to save as JPEG. I shoot almost exclusively raw images. When I use Photoshop the result is saved  as a TIF image. Then I export JPEG images as needed. The process you are seeing is normal it's how Lightroom is supposed to work. If it seems foreign to you then perhaps you had made some choices in a previous version.

• 29. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                                              7esiwnod9 Level 1

The JPEG's from Lightroom are better than the JPEG's from Photoshop?

• 30. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

What do you mean? A JPEG file is a JPEG file. I'm not saying that JPEG files from Lightroom are any better than JPEG files from Photoshop. I'm just saying that I normally don't save or keep JPEG files in my catalog or on my computer. I generate JPEG files by exporting them from Lightroom when they are needed for e-mail, web posting, sending to a lab, etc. I create JPEG files for a specific purpose. And when that purpose has been fulfilled I delete them. I have no use for them.

• 31. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                                                  7esiwnod9 Level 1

Right, that's why I save JPEG's, and I do it from Photoshop. And I don't keep them I'm my Lightroom catalog.

• 32. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

So I suppose your workflow is to save the JPEG from Photoshop, and then you consider that the work is done on that image. If that's the way you want to work, that's fine. My workflow is that I do as much of the editing on the raw image in Lightroom. When I need Photoshop for its advanced capabilities I open the image in Photoshop and then allow the TIF image to be added to my catalog. The TIF image is lossless, it's 16 bit, it has greater color depth, it becomes an image that "could" be considered as a finished image. I don't need a JPEG. I view my images, manage my images, etc. in Lightroom. However, if I decide to send an image via e-mail, or to a lab, or post it on Facebook, or whatever, then I need a JPEG image. So I export the JPEG image from Lightroom, send it via e-mail, or send it to a lab, etc. Then, after I have done what I needed JPEG for, it's deleted. It's no longer needed. It's a compressed image, it's only 8 bits, it serves no purpose. So it's deleted from my system. If I need a JPEG in the future, I create it, use it, then delete it. There's no need to keep the JPEG images. They are one time use files that can easily be re-created when needed.

1 person found this helpful
                                                                    • 33. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                                                      7esiwnod9 Level 1

Yes, I fully understand what a JPEG is. I have a patent for image analysis software that I wrote.

Most of my work on the raw images in Lightroom, my workflow appears to be the opposite of yours.  I rarely save a TIFF because most of my work is done in Lightroom. I save a PSD if I want to preserve layers and masks.

• 34. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

We're beating a dead horse. There's really no need for further discussion. You can change your external editing options in your Lightroom preferences to save a PSD file rather than a TIF. Whatever you are doing with JPEG images is up to you. There's nothing wrong with it. It just seems that you place greater value in your JPEG images than I do. But the original problem that you started discussing in this thread is not a problem. The way you describe how Lightroom is working for you is in fact how Lightroom is supposed to work. You are getting the message because Lightroom is looking for a newer version of camera raw than you can install. How you deal with that difference is up to you.

• 35. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                                                          7esiwnod9 Level 1

Yes, how you and I use create and utilize JPEG's, or TIFF's or whatever, end result file, was never part of my question.

It seem as if "Open anyway" gets me what I had with the version of Lightroom 6 that I was using before I was forced to upgrade, since I get the "Reading camera raw format" progress box when Photoshop receives the file from Lightroom.

I still don't understand why the version of Lightroom that I was using before the Windows 10 upgrade works on a friends PC with Windows 10. The only difference is that Windows 10 was on that PC when Lightroom was installed.

• 36. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                                                            Abambo Level 4

You can also preserve layers when saving a TIFF file. And with TIFF you can use ZIP compression which is more effective as the PSD compression. I think the drawback is that file handling is a little slower.

DId you try Lightroom (your version) under Win 10 and it did not work?

• 37. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                                                              Abambo Level 4

7esiwnod9 wrote:

Yes, I fully understand what a JPEG is. I have a patent for image analysis software that I wrote.

Most of my work on the raw images in Lightroom, my workflow appears to be the opposite of yours. I rarely save a TIFF because most of my work is done in Lightroom. I save a PSD if I want to preserve layers and masks.

I don't know what your analysis software does, but for 98% of the pictures, I do all my editing in Lightroom. For the rest I use plug-ins (and consider Photoshop here as a plug-in). All my exports are done in Lightroom as JPEG files. When editing using Photoshop, I save my (heavily layered) Photoshop files back as TIFF.

You can may be work around your problem by using bridge for the browsing part.

• 38. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade
                                                                                7esiwnod9 Level 1

I tried my Lightroom version (6.1) immediately after upgrading to Windows 10, and it did not work. I did some searching and saw information that said I needed to upgrade to Lightroom 6.6.1. I would have preferred to stay with version 6.1 to avoid problems like I ran into, and because the revisions to version 6 seem to basically only provide camera raw support for new cameras, and bug fixes.

My image analysis software has nothing to do with my photography. It's an app for use in the R&D industry.

As I've mentioned, the vast majority of my work is done in Lightroom, similar to you, so Bridge is not desirable.

• 39. Re: Lightroom 6 needs Camera Raw 9.6 after Windows 10 upgrade

I don't know why Lightroom 6.1 didn't work after the Windows 10 upgrade. But you chose to update to Lightroom 6.6.1. That version of the Lightroom requires that you have camera raw 9.6.1 installed for full compatibility. But you can't use that version because you are using Photoshop CS6. The last version of camera raw that you can use is 9.1.1. That isn't going to change. When/if Lightroom 7 is released it will be compatible with an even newer version of camera raw. If you choose the option to open anyway, then there will be more and more adjustments that will not be seen as the image transfers to Photoshop. During the transfer to Photoshop, camera raw is used to convert the raw image data to pixel-based data. You cannot bypass that process. As I have mentioned previously you cannot work with raw image data in Photoshop alone. The image must be converted. If you are concerned about final image quality, I still advocate that you allow the conversion of a PSD or TIF file to work on in Photoshop. It will include all adjustments that were made to the image in Lightroom. You retain that PSD or TIF and export JPEG copies when needed. This way your JPEG image is a first generation JPEG. And if you set the quality to 10 then you will have the best quality JPEG to share with clients or whomever.