5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 12:22 AM by kgerontis

InDesign CC 2015.4 (11.4.0.90 x64) frequently crashes randomly on Windows 10

kgerontis Level 1

I'm working in a company on several projects with InDesign CC 2015.4 (11.4.0.90 x64) and I'm fighting against very frequent randomly occurring crashes with no error message (just Adobe InDesign CC has stopped working). These occur 2-3 times within an hour, so it's very frustrating and I keep losing small amounts of work everytime which I have to redo. The crashes may happen during most tasks, as simple as selecting an object, but most frequently they happen when I may change the color of an object or apply or edit an effect. Another person in the company is having similar issues and it's really driving us mad. It'd be great if someone could help troubleshoot this, or even better if Adobe itself fixes these issues soon. Random crashes with InDesign and Illustrator have been common since forever for us, but lately it's more and more common.

Some extra info: In the Windows Event Viewer, the crashes usually have exception code 0xc0000005 (Public.dll) and 0xc000041d (Database.dll). We also tend to work on files on the local network more than locally on our computers.

• 1. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 (11.4.0.90 x64) frequently crashes randomly on Windows 10
          rsw-uhl

We're having the exact same issues on my team. We just updated to InDesign 2015.4 (11.4.0.90) on Monday (8/8). And we've had multiple issues with frequent crashing, without warning, or appearance of doing anything that would cause an error: Using shortcuts to apply a paragraph style; Moving a photo and text box down together; Copying and pasting objects from one document to another (one document saved on the PC, the other one saved on the network); Getting overly click-happy; Adjusting the width of a photo; Saving a document; Closing the document; Exporting a PDF. All of these have caused InDesign to crash, multiple times per day. It also crashes when using the Links panel to open a photo in Photoshop. Once the picture opens in PS, Indesign crashes. Which doesn't make sense. (I think this has been going is a different issue, but it's also incredibly annoying.)

We've tried multiple solutions - from clearing the INDD cache folder, to logging out and logging back into the Creative Cloud app, to resetting the preference files. I'm now attempting to clean up the files that we're working on - all files are on a server -- so I'm batch converting them from INDD to IDML files and then back to the INDD files. Perhaps some of the problems stem from the files themselves, not the program. But honestly, this is pretty ridiculous.

We're on Windows 10, x64. In the Windows Event Viewer, the faulting modules include Public.dll, Database.dll and a few from misc. default plugins (Font Manager, Hyperlinks). The exception code is 0xc0000005, Faulting process id: 0xaa9c.

There are just so many bugs with this release. I knew it would be buggy (because it always is, lately), but I really didn't expect it to be so unstable. It's pretty unacceptable.

• 2. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 (11.4.0.90 x64) frequently crashes randomly on Windows 10
            kgerontis Level 1

I might have found a "solution" which doesn't seem to completely fix this, but definitely improved things for me. I run InDesign as Administrator. At first I had an issue with accessing mapped network drives this way, but I found a workaround for this too, and, at least for now, things seem to have improved greatly.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 (11.4.0.90 x64) frequently crashes randomly on Windows 10
              gert verrept Level 2

Same problem here, but on win7, x64. Best solution so far, revert to 2015.3.

Prodesigntools has all the previous versions.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 (11.4.0.90 x64) frequently crashes randomly on Windows 10
                rsw-uhl Level 1

kgerontis, what was your fix for accessing files on a mapped network drive? Thanks for the tip about running as an administrator! 

• 5. Re: InDesign CC 2015.4 (11.4.0.90 x64) frequently crashes randomly on Windows 10
                  kgerontis Level 1

rsw-uhl

1. Go to registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System

2. Create a new DWORD entry with the name EnableLinkedConnections and value 1

This was taken from the following link: How to make elevated programs recognize network drives on Windows 7 / Vista | WinAbility Software

So this solves the mapped drive issue, but still drag'n'drop files into admin apps doesn't work. There's a workaround for that too, but that turns off a security setting and then you can't run some default windows apps like Calculator (I know, right?) and Edge...