4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2006 4:33 PM by Fanaka72

Troubles with PDF

Fanaka72
      I have been creating a large multimedia project that includes a large number of PDF files. I have been able to successfully run the program and open the PDF files with no problems on my own computer. The problem that I'm running into is that when I run the program on other computers, the path name for the Adobe reader is usually different. So, the pdf files will not open. Is there a way to use searchpath within the director movie to locate the appropriate external application in order to open these documents?
        • 1. Re: Troubles with PDF
          Level 7
          Use an xtra to find out where the reader is. My preference would be
          BuddyAPI (www.mods.com.au/budapi). You can use any 2 functions for
          free. One of the functions is baOpenFile which will open the specified
          file in the program that is associated with it. So you don't even need
          to know where the viewer is. As long as the client machine has anything
          setup to open pdf files, baOpenFile will use it. Much easier than most
          alternatives.

-Mike
          • 2. Re: Troubles with PDF
            Fanaka72 Level 1
            Thanks for the tip. I haven't had much experience using xtras, other than the ones that were initially packaged into director. Once I download this, how do I implement it into an already existing project? Thanks again
            • 3. Re: Troubles with PDF
              Level 7
              Fanaka72 wrote:

> Thanks for the tip. I haven't had much experience using xtras, other than the
              > ones that were initially packaged into director. Once I download this, how do I
              > implement it into an already existing project? Thanks again

Hi Fanaka.

Using Buddy API it is very easy. You can just use:
              on mouseUp me
              baOpenFile( "NameofFile.pdf" , "maximised" )
              end

That will work without any need to pay for the full Xtra package.

To install the Xtra, drop it in the Xtras folder in your program folder setup. Do
              get it to work in a projector, bundle the Buddy API Xtra with it. Do you know how
              to package Xtras with a projector - wither embedding or keeping them external?

regards
              Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
              http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 4. Re: Troubles with PDF
                Fanaka72 Level 1
                Thanks Dean. That was helpful. It seems to be working flawlessly.
                I'm not sure I completely understand regarding the packaging, though.
                I clicked on the check box to include it with the projector under the Modify menu. Will this do it? Or is there something else needed?
                Thanks again.