1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 30, 2016 5:18 AM by johnrellis

Metadata: Show Folder Location

TechCritic

Hi,

first: I am not an expert on Lightroom, so I might oversee a very simple solution to this. But I spent now a few hours figuring it out and also did som websearches and could not find anything on this Topic (or it was burried in tons of text).

I would like to have Folder (Location of the photo) also in the upper metadata filter bar. Is there any way to add this?

Reason:

I have a folder structure "Photos => Year => months" by various copy actions some photos might have been moved into the wrong folder. I would now like to select the years (metadata = year) the photos have taken and check in what folders they are (that is the part, where having the folder available as a metadata filter would come handy). I could then simply select the photos, which are not in the folder where they would belong and move them.

So, do you have any idea (eventually about a free plug-in) that could be usefull. Of Course I could do it the other way around, simply selecting the folder and check for all photos with a date that would not fit - but in my case, this would be more cumbersome, then the other way around.

• 1. Re: Metadata: Show Folder Location
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I have a folder structure "Photos => Year => months" by various copy actions some photos might have been moved into the wrong folder. I would now like to select the years (metadata = year) the photos have taken and check in what folders they are (that is the part, where having the folder available as a metadata filter would come handy). I could then simply select the photos, which are not in the folder where they would belong and move them.

So, do you have any idea (eventually about a free plug-in) that could be usefull. Of Course I could do it the other way around, simply selecting the folder and check for all photos with a date that would not fit - but in my case, this would be more cumbersome, then the other way around.

If you choose the Year column in the Metadata filter bar and collapse the folders so just the parent by-year folders are showing, you'll be able to then examine each year folder in turn and quickly find the photos that are in the wrong folder:

This will be just as fast as if you had a Metadata column for folder.  In either approach, you'll have to click on a year and then examine the results.