6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 7:38 AM by Laubender

Viewing Indesign documents produced by Trados Studio

paulc99526669 Level 1

I translate idml files for a client. Trados will correctly create the output file, but I can't view it to make sure the layout isn't broken. I installed a thing called ADOView, but it only shows me a couple of images from the doc - no text or anything else. I really don't want to pay for the CC suite just to be able to view one or two files per month. Is there any other way to view them? Or do I have to ask the client to stipulate high quality review in their setup? I guess it's pretty obvious that I don't have much of a clue, never having even see Indesign. If we were talking about 10 or 20 files per month, I'd just pay the money.

Thanks in Advance.

Paul.

• 1. Re: Viewing Indesign documents produced by Trados Studio
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Not that I know of. I don't think you can open IDML files in InCopy.

I can't view it to make sure the layout isn't broken

But if you could open the file to see that the layout is broken, you would need InDesign to fix it. And you'd have to learn InDesign to know how to fix it.

This isn't done by Trados once you return the translation?

• 2. Re: Viewing Indesign documents produced by Trados Studio
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Paul,

in your case, doing a roundtrip workflow with IDML "requires" the exact same version of InDesign the IDML was exported from.

Otherwise it's unsure if all the used paragraph text composers—yes, there are many—of InDesign are doing the same thing as in the original document. Means: text would hyphenate differently, break differently at line ends and so on.

Example:

If you get an IDML from the latest CC 2015.4 version, you need InDesign CC 2015.4 installed.
            It does not help much to open the IDML with say version CS4 or CS6. Perhaps you can get away if you open the IDML with CC 2015.3 instead of CC 2015.4, but I would not bet in 100% of all cases on this.

And there is more you need:

From your client:

1. A PDF exported from InDesign that will show the text composition in the language you want to translate

2. All required fonts (no substitutes!) installed

3. The InDesign document

4. IDML exported from InDesign

=> translation and output to IDML

5. Open with InDesign, all required fonts must be installed

6. Check if something is wrong:
            e.g. overset text ( a text frame cannot hold all the new translated text ) etc.pp.

Regards,
            Uwe

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Viewing Indesign documents produced by Trados Studio
              paulc99526669 Level 1

I just need to know if I have made a text too long for a box or whatever. It's not likely, as Spanish texts are generally a lot bigger than the English translation.

• 4. Re: Viewing Indesign documents produced by Trados Studio
                paulc99526669 Level 1

The client does send me a pdf, so I can see the original layout. Truth is, I could probably take an educated guess by simply comparing line lengths etc., but I'd just like to be able to do a quick check before returning the idml blindly. Sounds like it's not possible.

Thanks anyway.

• 6. Re: Viewing Indesign documents produced by Trados Studio
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think there is more to it than issues with text frames that overflow or not.

You should be able to apply InDesign formatting for the language property on basis of:

1. Paragraph styles

2. Character styles

3. Single characters (overrides of paragraph styles and character styles)

to get hyphenation and text composition correct at the point when the IDML is recomposed and interpreted by InDesign.

This perhaps would require postprocessing with InDesign:

You would want to insert special characters in words to force hyphenation at a distinct point in a word after translation to do well formed pagination perhaps. And all that could be done and controlled with InDesign's paragraph and character composers only, I think.

Also cases where English phrases should not (or cannot) be translated and the hyphenation should work to the English rules and text in the same paragraph in Spanish should be hyphenated with the Spanish rules.

Regards,
                  Uwe