3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 12:09 PM by Szalam

3D black oil

hussein1313

Hello guys!

in a part of a video which had recorded in studio, an actress acting in a way that she's drowning. Now I want add 3D black oil around her to show she's drowning in oil. Is there any useful tutorial for this? Also If there's any plugin for this purpose, can you please introduce the plugin?

I need to create this effect professional as much as possible. I need to show this oil pool very natural, shadows, waves and everything should be natural.

Thank you so much

• 1. Re: 3D black oil
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You are talking about complex fluid simulation and 3D rendering of a complicated material if you want it to be realistic. Otherwise you can surely mask some black/ dark-grey-brown solid and apply effects like Radio Waves, Caustics, Displacement Map and Fractal Noise to create something that wobbles and ripples, but it's not going to be something you get with just a few clicks. it will involve lots of manual animation.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: 3D black oil
            hussein1313 Level 1

Dear Mylenium,

Thanks for your answer. Except the effects you've mentioned, is there any available plugin for this purpose? Let me ask another question, what's your suggestion for me to create such a simulation more natural and easy for an amateur?

Is there any link or tutorial video?

Thank you so much

• 3. Re: 3D black oil
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

hussein1313 wrote:

what's your suggestion for me to create such a simulation more natural and easy for an amateur?

Is there any link or tutorial video?

This isn't something an amateur could do very easily. It's not something an expert could do very easily. I mean, if she is in the oil, it should be reacting to her movement.

The best way to make it realistic would be to match her movements with a 3d model of a person in a fluid simulation in a 3d program. For example RealFlow or X-Particles in Cinema 4D could do the fluid simulation.

If you just have AE, I would start working with WaveWorld to make the ripples and then use a different effect to generate them. Try this tutorial to start getting a grasp of the idea. The tutorial may be old, but the effects are still the same.