7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 4:28 PM by Twelve9

AE 2015.3

MickSyl Level 1

I cant imagine why this is afflicting me alone (based on not finding similar posts) but this latest version really does not run well on my PC when i am using the Element 3D plugin. Here is what happens:

Adding a couple or more spotlights to the scene makes After Effects GUI unresponsive even when E3D is in draft mode. And when I say unresponsive, I mean that each mouse click takes 10 secs+ to implement. Completely unusable. But here's a thing that I discovered this morning. If I delete the camera and create a new one, response back to normal. Really fast. Until I move the camera around in the GUI a few times, then it goes back to being unresponsive. New camera again - OK for a short while then unresponsive. There are no problems inside the Element 3D GUI by the way. If I save the file and reboot my PC, then open it up again, the unresponsiveness persists until I delete the camera. This implies that after effects is doing something related to the camera and holding on to the data. So is it my PC? Just for info, running Intel i7 with Nvidia GTX 960 and 16GB ram. Not sure this is relevant because if I open the same composition in 2015.0, Element 3D runs super fast in the GUI even in full render mode. And this morning I even opened up a composition that I created in, but is unusable in 2015.3, in 2015.0. And it runs super fast all the time.

Really frustrating!

• 1. Re: AE 2015.3
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

I do not have an answer for this issue but maybe this could help you find someone that will help you:

your subject line is too general. it makes it hard to find your post and connect it to other posts. if this is a potential bug or specific problem then you should name it properly and tag it correctly. "AE 2015.3" in the subject line, and only one tag of "slow-to-unusable" will make this very difficult. also you should provide exact OS details and other technical specifications so experts here could address the issue with educated response

please see this:

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

you can still change your post - hopefully that will draw more viewers to it and you will find your solution.

• 2. Re: AE 2015.3
            Twelve9 Level 1

Kind of the same thing that appears to be happening to me. I've almost given up trying to do what I want to do in AE cos of this problem.

Here is my post regarding my issue AE CC 2015.3 keeps 'not responding'

• 3. Re: AE 2015.3

you do have the latest E3D Version?

VIDEO COPILOT | Element 3D V2 - 3D Object based Particle Plug-in

could be worth a try to also try E3D Forum so the VC guys know about this an maybe you will find other users with the same problem

VIDEO COPILOT | Professional After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins & Pre-Keyed Stock Footage • View forum - Element 3D

• 4. Re: AE 2015.3
                MickSyl Level 1

Thanks Roei.

Point taken on the info given in my post. It was more out of frustration than expectation of assistance purely on the grounds that I can't find any posts that document a similar problem.

I don't seem to be able to edit my original post any more but here are my system specs for what it is worth:

Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM: 16351MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

GPU: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2

GPU Driver: 10.18.13.6839

GPU RAM: 4096MB

CL0: GeForce GTX 960 (100.0%) (GL Interop)

Although I have been struggling with this for a while now, and I have been in touch with VC (though before I discovered that the behavior is apparently related to the camera) it is hopefully not too critical as I am expecting delivery of new hardware in 2 weeks with (almost) the highest spec I can build (that isn't a Xeon/Qaudro configuration) using  an X99 server level motherboard. So I have reasonable hopes that this will go away. But if it doesn't I will be talking to Adobe technical support *** a matter of urgency.

• 5. Re: AE 2015.3
                  {KMS} Level 2

I have had similar problems (I'm on Windows as well),  but I have found that it is due to 3d scenes in general in AE 2015.3. My first thought was that it was tied to Element 3d as well, but I can crash AE 2015.3 with just one solid layer (in 3d pace) and a light. If I move the light around fast enough AE will hang and eventually crash. There have been many reports of spot lights crashing AE 2015.3 if you increase the cone angle to high (I believe that there is a thread around here somewhere). Unfortunately I don't think that new hardware is going to fix the problem, but I could be wrong. The best thing to do is to go back to AE 2015.2.

• 6. Re: AE 2015.3

Hey Mick I totally understand. you now have connection with another thread and 2 users that faced a similar problem and your configuration is here for all geeks to see. I am not a E3D user so can't help you here, but now others will be able to see. you are right, once I responded to your thread - you can't change it my bad. you can only change it if nobody responded to it (which makes sense). please update the thread when you do find a solution.

• 7. Re: AE 2015.3
                      Twelve9 Level 1

At least it's a somewhat known issue. I rebuilt my PC to give me better times at rendering and things like that for PP and AE, so far my hardware is not helping me as I thought it would. Tutorials I am watching show me multiple 3D cameras and lights and it goes well for them. But for me trying to follow along with it hanging every time I try to do something is very frustrating.