5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2016 3:43 PM by trshaner

How to add a simple evenly sized square border to images?

georged70882901

Hi,

I am finding it difficult to achieve an evenly sized square border around my images.

I have been using the print module and creating user templates, my images are 6x7 medium format photographs.

I have been able to create an evenly sized border, however, I have to click the 'zoom to fit' button therefore although the border is how I would like it to be the photograph becomes stretched and crops the edges of the frames. Without 'zoom to fit' selected the photo is correct however the border is not evenly sized on all sides.

In the first image below the border is evenly sized on each side, however the photo is stretched.

Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 12.26.06.png

In the second image, the photo is not stretched however the border is not evenly sized.

Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 12.26.12.png

• 1. Re: How to add a simple evenly sized square border to images?
          JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

The problem appears to be that the aspect ratio of the cell in your print module is different than the photo, which you say is 6x7.

• 2. Re: How to add a simple evenly sized square border to images?

Please show a screen shot of the Layout Panel in your print module.

Screenshot 2016-07-30 08.08.25.png

• 3. Re: How to add a simple evenly sized square border to images?
              georged70882901 Level 1

Hi Joe,

Please see the screenshot of the layout panel

Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 13.16.49.png

• 4. Re: How to add a simple evenly sized square border to images?

As I suspected, the image and the cell are different aspect ratios.

For the Photo aspect ratio is 7 / 6 = 1.167

For the Cell, aspect ratio is 24.94 / 18.59 = 1.342

In your first image of you original post, the photo is not "stretched" but is zoomed to fill the cell, height and width.  In order to fill the cell the width of the photo is zoomed to 24.94 cm.  With an aspect ratio of 1.167, the height of the photo will zoom to 21.37 cm, (24.94 / 1.167) which is larger than the height of the cell, so some portion of the photo must be cropped off both the top and bottom of the photo to fit into the cell.

In your second image, the height of the photo is sized to fit the height of the cell at 18.59 cm.. This makes the width of the photo equal to 21.69 cm (18.59 x 1.167) , which is smaller than the width of the cell by 3.25 cm, leaving an extra white area (Border) on each side.

In order to get the entire photo in the cell without cropping or without extra white space, the aspect ratio of the cell must be exactly the same as the photo.  I suspect that the photo aspect ratio is not exactly 6 x 7 as you state, but perhaps slightly different.

It looks like you have set your paper size to 8 1/2 x 11, so your first image is the only way you can get to equal borders all around.  If, however, you do not like how it is cropped, place the curser inside the cell over the photo and drag the photo up or down to change the position of the image in the cell.

With a 6 x 7 image, you have only the 2 choices that you posted, either equal borders, or the entire image, but not both.  It is against the laws of physics.

• 5. Re: How to add a simple evenly sized square border to images?
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you outputting to a printer or JPEG file in the print module 'Print Job' panel? If to a JPEG file for screen viewing use you can enter Custom File Dimensions to make the borders even.

If outputting to a printer you can only use the available paper sizes in the printer drive.