2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2016 2:31 PM by trey38647

Camera Tracking by Lens Type

trey38647

Hello all, as we know, to integrate CG elements into live action footage, the footage must be camera tracked where a 3D camera will then be obtained and work can proceed further in the 3D program and then composited in AE.

As you may know, a Prime Lens is one with a fixed focal length, e.g. 35mm or 85mm and it cannot zoom because it is not a zoom lens. You may also know that an anamorphic lens squeezes the image onto the sensor to create a wide image and it is desqueezed for post-production work.

The question here is:

Looking at all the processes involved in the matchmoving/camera tracking workflow, would it be faster tracking/matchmoving a plate that was shot with a prime lens? Therefore would the process take longer if the lens used was an anamorphic lens?

I ask because I read that there is a desqueeze and resqueeze that needs to be done before and after the CG work is done, therefore I thought working with plates shot with a prime lens (fixed focal length) will be faster than an anamorphic lens workflow.

I would be grateful for your input.