7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 12:03 PM by Longardia

How do I copy paste text objects on the timeline?

Longardia

I am currently using the software for the first time and would like to know how I am supposed to copy and paste objects on the timeline. Specifically text is the issue. Although knowing how to do it for all object would be fantastic.

I am using a PC, not a mac. I am also using the newest version of Adobe Premiere Elements 14.

The video I am trying to make is a tutorial video with a lot of text narration. The only method I could figure out is to constantly create new text objects and re-apply each effect and adjustment individually. This methods is WAY TOO TIME CONSUMMING! Please let me know if there is a simpler much faster way of creating text with the same effects and adjustments.

• 1. Re: How do I copy paste text objects on the timeline?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you had my book, you'd know!

You can't copy and paste. That will produce clones of your title and when you edit one clone, they will all change.

Create your master title. Then, in the Project Assets panel, right-click on it and select Duplicate. You can then change the text in the duplicate as much as you'd like -- and you make as many duplicates as you need.

But you can't copy and paste titles.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I copy paste text objects on the timeline?
            Longardia Level 1

Alright but how do I save my text as a "master title"? Sorry if this is easy but I am new to this.

Also does this apply for all object on the timeline. Can I not copy paste any asset?

If not, would this method you're suggesting work for other types of assests?

• 3. Re: How do I copy paste text objects on the timeline?
              terrys30580497 Level 3

Is your book free or are you trying to make a sale ??? If it's free I'd love a copy.

• 4. Re: How do I copy paste text objects on the timeline?
                terrys30580497 Level 3

When you create a new title it becomes a project asset. It is automatically placed in the Project Assets panel. The title in this example is automatically named "Title One" because it was the first title created in the project.

You right click on that title and select "Duplicate"

See Image.

1.png

Once you've done that a copy will be created in the Project asset panel.

The copy created is also named "Title One". However, it will indicate that is a copy in the description.

2.png

You can drag that copy to the timeline or insert it by right clicking and using the menu.Then you can modify it however you wish. What's nice is that it retains the same font, font size,color or style,etc. So your titles are consistent with little effort on your part. You can still change the font ,color, etc if you wanted to.

If you create additional copy's the 2nd one will be named "Copy Copy". The third one is "Copy Copy Copy"

I have no idea why copy's are not just named  Copy 2, Copy 3, etc.  If you make more than 2 copy's you need to hover your cursor over the title and "Count" how many times copy appears in the description to know exactly what copy it is.

3.png

The thumbnail changes when the text is modified but if the text is similar it's difficult to tell the titles apart. So if you want to use the same modified title in other locations they can be difficult to tell apart.

When you want to copy and paste other assets on the timeline you are copying and pasting an "Identical Asset".So YES, you can copy and paste most assets on the timeline.Any effects applied directly to the asset will be carried over to the copy.

Title's are linked together and work differently for a reason. If you were using a Identical title in several locations. Then, wanted to make a change to that title you would only need to make the change once to edit all of the titles in use. So it can save you a lot of additional work in those cases.

Good Luck with your project.

Regards,Joe

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How do I copy paste text objects on the timeline?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The "Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 14" is available on Amazon.com, terry. And, yes, I'm hoping to make a sale!

Although you can also find lots of tutorials, including my free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series, at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

*** Basic Training for Premiere Elements ***

• 6. Re: How do I copy paste text objects on the timeline?
                    whsprague Level 4

terrys30580497 wrote:

Is your book free or are you trying to make a sale ??? If it's free I'd love a copy.

I've followed this forum for several years.  As near as I can tell, Steve makes his living teaching and supporting video editing.  He has a series of books, a complex supporting website and full blown courses at Lynda.com (which is now owned my Microsoft!)

Nearly every day he, and a few other regulars, generously will help someone on this public forum without charge. 

Please consider posting and helping more often!  Your explanation of how titles work was clear and well done.

Bill

• 7. Re: How do I copy paste text objects on the timeline?
                      Longardia Level 1

That is helpful thank you! Okay so this only applies to titles and not text objects.