36 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 3:59 AM by rob day

set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size

badassdesigner Level 1

How do I set the pixel density for an e-document I'm working on?

I'm designing for a specific device, with a pixel density of 1200 * 1900px at 94mm * 151mm. I've set up a document (for Mobile) at the correct PIXEL size but when I set type at, say, 24pt it's miniscule. When I draw a rectangle at 20mm x 40mm it's about 5mm x 8mm.

Indesign is assuming the ppi of the device I'm designing for is much much lower (or the physical size is much greater) than it really is.

Where/how can I tell it the screen is physically 94mm * 151mm?

Thanks,

K.

• 1. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
          Derek Cross Level 6

Are you creating a Reflowable text ePub?

Which version of InDesign do you have?

• 2. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
            badassdesigner Level 1

No - I'm making interactive PDFs to be viewed in full screen.

Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 16.03.00.png

(Why don't Adobe let you copy and past the version number¿!)

Thanks,
            K.

• 3. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
              Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

When switching back and forth between pixels and mm people are often surprised and frustrated. Here are some key concepts.

1. InDesign does not design or measure in pixels. Not at all. It seems to but really it treats pixels = points. It's a typical vector app (like Illustrator or Word but not Photoshop) At all times a design and everything in it have a size measured in points/mm/inches but not (to InDesign) pixels.

2. Pixels become actual if you export an image file. At that time the resolution you choose and the size in mm Determine the number of pixels. If it's 2 inches square and it's 144 ppi, the result will be 288 pixels square. Change the ppi, get a different number of pixels.

3. InDesign (and almost every other app in the world) make not effort at all to make the result a particular screen size: that's not what the size in inches or mm means. If you want to see it at a particular size then zoom. For a given screen or monitor the zoom you need isn't going to change much so you can consistently work at the required zoom. Then an inch really is an inch, and a point is a point.

4. 24 point type is NOT 24 points high. It's designed for lines 24 points apart so there's a lot of white space included.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                Derek Cross Level 6

Re item 4 - A 24pt font is meaured from the top of the assenders to the bottom of the descenders, so for printing, without leading, it is 24pt. On a digital device the size with depend on the resolution.

• 5. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                  badassdesigner Level 1

@Test Screen Name

I know all that (and it isn't all exactly correct) - and it's not what I'm aksing.

I'm designing for a mobile device (which indesign purports to allow us)

The device has a screen with a physical size of 94mm * 151mm.

The screen physically displays 1200 * 1900 pixels

Which means a pixel density of 323 (ish) pixels per inch (or 12.76 pixels per mm)

I can tell Indesign the size of the "page" in pixels, but I can not find a way to tell indesign that 1200pixels wide is 94mm, ie the pixel density or ppi or ppmm.

Indesign seems to assume my device's screen is some random physical size or ppi. So when I set text in, say, 24pt or draw a box, say, 30mm wide when I look at the results on the device the text is not 24pt and the box is not 30mm wide.

Why, if it's impossble to set text correctly in point sizes, does it allow us to enter text size in points, why not just pixels? How does Indesign know how big to make my 24pt text (to ensure it looks roughly 24pt in size on my device) if itisn't interested in the physical size of the device?

The physical size of the "image" ie the screen is as irrevocably interlinked with its resolution or ppi as it is in printed images. In print, Indesign knows an image's physical size so that it can know it's resolution (you can't have one without the other) so why does indesign think it knows sizes (of type, for example) and resolutions if it doesn't know physical sizes when working in "mobile" mode???

• 6. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                    badassdesigner Level 1

@Derek Cross

24pt text - not necessarily true. If that were the case, when set solid (no leading) the ascenders would crash the descenders above. The size of any font is decided by the designer to have the amount of space around it he thingks is aesthetically correct. The block of lead the letter is "cut" from will be 24pt's tall, but the letter can be any size the type designer wants in that space.

BUT WE DIGRESS: How do I tell Indesign the physical size of my 1200-pixels-wide screen?

• 7. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                      Derek Cross Level 6

We may digress, but it's important that other readers of this discussion understand that a font size for printing is as I've stated and as indicated in this screen shot. Typefaces can appear larger (or smaller) if they have large (or small) x-hieghts.

Unknown.png

• 8. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                        Derek Cross Level 6

Presumably you know that you can select different Intents when you create a new document and a number of devices are selectable from the drop down menu in Mobile, and you can create your own.

Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 17.25.30.png

• 9. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                          badassdesigner Level 1

Nobody is disputing or mentioning x-heights!! You said 24pt text will measure 24pts from the bottom of descenders to the top of ascenders which is blatantly wrong.

Coming here and asking a question is like asking for directions in some parts of the UK, where the answer is never "Go along here and turn right, at the shop turn right again..." but is always "Well, I wouldn't start from here if I were you! And besides, you should use a motorbike, not a car, and who drives a blue car anyway..."

Yes I know about those intents, but my device is none of those and when I create my own there's no where to tell Indesign the physical size or ppi of my screen.

Thanks,

K.

• 10. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't know where you got your diagram, but I can assure you it isn't accurate.

My father and his brother were amateur printers and I grew up in the age of metal type. Not only will there be side-bearing (to provide space between the letters -- the equivalent of today's "font metrics" for kerning), there also would be top- and bottom-bearing allowances as described by badassdesigner, and no part of the type would likely be suspended off the edge of the type slug as depicted in the drawing as it would break off in use, if not in the tray. There is no way, for example, that the lowercase p, g or y in the diagram could be "set solid" in metal type when aligned directly over the ascender in the h unless there was top- and bottom-bearing.

• 11. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                              badassdesigner Level 1

ntg5f2.jpg

Here you go - learn about shouders. The shoulder can be any size the font designer chooses. Now can we get back to my issue, please?

• 12. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                badassdesigner Level 1

What Peter Spier said. I'm also an INCREDIBLY old hand at this and a published type designer.

• 13. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                  Derek Cross Level 6

Interesting. Peter, you're the most knowledgable person probably on this forum, but you're wrong on this one! (I did a six year apprenticeship in metal typesetting).

Re the OP, all you need to do is to produce a PDF for a particular device, is set up the size , insert the contents and export as an interactive PDF and ensure it displays as a full page (or width).

• 14. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size

Your question: "How do I tell Indesign the physical size of my 1200-pixels-wide screen?" You don't. It doesn't know and it doesn't care. You can stop looking for such a feature. As I said, it's up to you to use zoom until the physical size is what you want it to be.

By the way, I never said it was impossible to set type in point sizes. Only that the point size you get is based on the digital font designer's idea of the size of characters for a given font. Often this is radically different for two fonts with nominally the same size.

You say InDesign thinks it knows resolution. It doesn't. Except for exporting vector graphics. And of course the effective ppi of placed rasters. InDesign "knows" sizes in inches but that is nothing to do with the screen. It's a print design tool even if you aren't using it that way. People who want to see things at "actual size" have always just zoomed. You are looking for something that isn't there, and you really will be much happier if you accept this. Though I suspect you will continue to quarrel, but that's your privilege.

• 15. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

badassdesigner wrote:

Now can we get back to my issue, please?

Regarding the point size of the text, there is a script by Gerald Singelmann, that could do what you want.

At least, if I understood your intentions right.

Gerald's script SetVisualCharSize.jsx will scale the text of a text frame according to the visual height of a given character and the value you give. E.g I want to scale the text so that the visual height of the character "T" will be 24 pt.

Select the text frame, determine the character you want to use for the height. Give the height in mm or in points, use pt for points and hit ok. The text is scaled so that the character you have choosen is of the height you gave.

( Below the German version of the script from my German UI )

"Zeichenhöhe eingeben" => "Define character height"

"Höhe des Zeichens:" => "Height of Character:"

"Maßgebendes Zeichen:" => "Character:"

SetVisualCharSize-Dialog.png

For example:

I used a Helevtica Neue Condensed Black and the text was formatted with 33.614 pt to reach the desired height of the character "T" .

SetVisualCharSize-Result.png

The link to Gerald's blog where you can download the script:

Define cap- or x-height, not the slug | InDesign FAQ

Regards,
                                      Uwe

• 16. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                        Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here an example with mixed fonts in one line where the "x" should be 24 pt high.

Above: The original

Below: After SetVisualCharSize.jsx was executed:

SetVisualCharSize-MixedFonts-Result.png

So this script is powerful tool, I think.

Regards,
                                        Uwe

• 17. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                          badassdesigner Level 1

I'm really not quarreling!

I am a litle peeved that a bunch of people who seem to have simply made up their own "knowledge" or pulled it out of nowhere and who are blatantly...

1/ wrong

2/ happy to change the subject

3/ can not understand my issue

...are so self-assured in their "expertise" that they feel qualified to answer a question that is obviously beyond their sphere of experience and knowledge, or haven't read properly.

It makes this forum little more than useless and leave me with nowhere to get help.

You, for example, don't understand what I'm aksing. "Zooming" is completely and utterly non sequitur. "Zooming" will not make 24pt text rendered for a 20" monitor correct on a 7" screen, and "zooming" will not change the physical size of the screen I'm designing for.

Other people seem to be ignorant (or in denial) of the link between resolution and physical size, the unchanging nature of pixel size, and/or how a hardware device ABSOLUTELY MUST know its physical size if it knows its resolution (because they're both the same thing, in essence).

And yet others have twisted the discussion to how type size is defined/measured and some of them have no idea or genuine knowledge about that either!

Sorry, but that's why I may be sounding a little fractious.

Does any one know how to ask Adobe a question like this? Cos if it is actually the case that I can tell Indesign how many pixels are on my screen, but not how big the screen is, and Indesign still thinks it knows how large to render 24pt text, then there's a major, major issue with Indesign and it needs to be looked at.

K.

• 18. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No - I'm making interactive PDFs to be viewed in full screen.

The screen physically displays 1200 * 1900 pixels

Which means a pixel density of 323 (ish) pixels per inch (or 12.76 pixels per mm)

Don't set your document dimensions as 1200x1900 pixels. With InDesign pixels are a unit of output measurement (1/72") and not a resolution measurement.

So a 1200 x 1900 pixel display running at 323ppi would have a physical display area dimension of 94.37 x 149.41mm (or 3.715" x 5.882"). Set your document up as 3.715" x 5.882" and view at 100% to view the actual device size.

If you need to place images make sure the Effective resolution is at least 323ppi.

If you want to export the page as a JPEG or PNG image at 1200x1900 pixels set the export Image Resolution to 323.

• 19. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                              space-cruiser Level 1

I've been looking for this also.

So what you saying is the size of the screen in pixels is completely irrelevant?

Then why do users have to set the page size in pixels and why is everything else measured in pixels (except font size - which will never be right and is probably one thing that should be measured in pixels with this system) and why does Adobe and Indesign assume every single screen is 72dpi? This is nonsense! Of all the ways designing for mobile could be implemented in Indesign this is the absolute worst way possible.

Why not do what badassdesigner says and set page size in pixels and tell it the inches size of the screen? It's a bug - will it be fixed in next releases?

• 20. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size

Then why do users have to set the page size in pixels and why is everything else measured in pixels (except font size - which will never be right and is probably one thing that should be measured in pixels with this system)

InDesign is primarily a print page layout application, so the units of measurement represent the print output dimensions. The measurement unit is a user preference. If you set up a document with the Intent as Web the measurement units will default to pixels, but you are free to change the units whenever you want

and why does Adobe and Indesign assume every single screen is 72dpi

They don't, they've simply defined the dimension of a pixel relative to other output measurement units. If you are designing for screens the page will have to be exported, so if you want the export to match the page's pixel dimensions it's simply a matter of setting the export resolution to the 72ppi definition—a 1900x1200px page exported at 72ppi will open into Photoshop as 1900x1200px.

Badassdesigner is targeting a single device and the delivered format will be PDF (which is zoom-able), so he can work at the device's physical dimensions and resolution as I described in #18. In that case InDesign's (CS6 and later) 100% view will display the page at the device's dimensions.

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 7.37.57 AM.png

• 21. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                                  badassdesigner Level 1

I'm sorry, but I have to enthusuastically agree with space-cruiser!

After a few weeks of trying to design for the screen in indesign I have to repeat what he/she says - "Of all the ways designing for mobile could be implemented in Indesign this is the absolute worst way possible."

As I see it there are two possible modes of operation...

1/ we either have the correct physical size of screen, so that we know how big things will appear on screen in the real world, like text set in point sizes (12pt text will be close to the size of printed 12pt text) and things measured in mm will be as expected.

or

2/ we have the correct number of pixels in the document "page", so we can use all the Indesign features and palettes presented to us in pixels throughout the application.

Presumably the point of mode 2 is so we can see things pixel-for-pixel; we can tell that something less that 1px thick will disappear or alias badly; we can draw a line of 1px tickness or make patterns and shapes that will sit on the pixel grid agreeably.

But...

Because Indesign (or Adobe) have - with absolutely staggering arrogance - assumed a pixel is always 1/72th inch, FOR EVERY SINGLE DEVICE ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET!!*

...if we use mode 1/ we have to set type in absolutely stupid sizes, like 4.322px; and boxes, shapes etc in pixels like 18.347645px * 23.3894634px.

if we use 2/ we end up using 64pt text to represent 12pt text and have no idea how big in the real world a box of 50mm x 50mm will appear on screen.

Why oh why!? can't we just tell Indesign the physical size of the screen, and also how many pixels it has? This would fix everything.

As it is I just can't use indesign in the "mobile" intent mode - it's absolutely and completely useless. 

*Sorry for the shouty boldness in italic, but i'd underscore as well if I could.

Is there a way to petition Adobe to fix this horrible mess?

K.

• 22. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size

2/ we have the correct number of pixels in the document "page", so we can use all the Indesign features and palettes presented to us in pixels throughout the application.

An InDesign page has no resolution, it is a vector object.

Because Indesign (or Adobe) have - with absolutely staggering arrogance - assumed a pixel is always 1/72th inch, FOR EVERY SINGLE DEVICE ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET!!*

Pixels are only offered as a unit of measurement relative to output—again an InDesign page has no resolution. If the unit was defined as something else like 1/96" or 1/109" you would have the same problem.

You will also have similar problem in Photoshop. You could set a PS document up as 1200x1900 pixels at 323ppi and the 100% view would not measure as the target device's physical dimensions—unless your display happened to be running at 323ppi. I have 3 relatively new Apple screens on my desktop, they run at 109ppi, 98ppi, and 103ppi—none would give me the 323ppi device dimensions when viewing at Photoshop's 100% 1:1.

• 23. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size

If you wanted to work in pixel ruler units and view the page at the device's dimensions some simple math will give you the zoom level. So for your example device 72/323 will give you the zoom view for the actual size (22.3%). The reverse ratio would give you the point size equivalent size of 24pt text output at 22.3%— 107.6pt = 24pt output at 22.3%

• 24. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size

You want Adobe to change the display scaling in a way that would be a change for everyone because you can't figure out how to set a ZOOM? Well, whatever.

• 25. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                                          badassdesigner Level 1

Rob, thanks for your input but working at 100% really isn't my problem! Nowhere have I said I necessarily want to work at or see the document at 100%

An analogue for what Adobe have done with "design for mobile" mode in print terms is; they have assumed every printer on Earth is, for example, 150dpi. So if you know you're going to print to a 300dpi printer you'd have to work on a page twice as big, or if you were outputting to a 1200dpi imagesetter, you'd have to work on a page 8 times the size, with all the inconveniences this throws up, like 12pt text would have to be 18pt and so on...

Or, if you wanted to work on a page the correct size, so for example you could place an object 50mm in from the edge of the page easily/properly, use corrctly sized 12pt text (or a million other things we do every day), you'd be stuck with 150dpi output.

It realy is that stupid. Stop defending Adobe for this monumental cock-up.

• 26. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                                            badassdesigner Level 1

Jeeeeeeez! It's not a zoom or 100% issue!! Nowhere have I said this.

• 27. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size

So far I've seen nothing but wingeing that people want to see their design some "real" size they made up. Please explain why zooming doesn't make it the size you want. (There may be a real issue here, but all the questions just seem to be from people who haven't taken the time to learn anything about sizing issues BUT WANT IT TO BE DIFFERENT. Never mind that millions of people would have to change how they work to fit their world view).

• 28. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                                                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Interactive PDFs have only a limited functionality on mobile devices! So I would recommend to avoid it for that purpose.

• 29. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                                                  badassdesigner Level 1

OK, firstly your wingeing comment is quite insulting - and I've probably forgotten more than you already know about "sizing issues" - and it's not some "real" size I made up: It's the actual size (for example) Apple "made up" for their iPad.

Here's an example:

1/ Make a document (mobile intent) for iPad and give it the correct size in pixels - 768 * 1024. Indesign makes the physical size of the screen 271mm * 361mm. This IS NOT the correct size of an iPad screen, so if I put 12pt text in my design it will not show up on the screen in the user's hand at 12pt, in fact all measurements and sizes are useless unless you perform calculations before doing anything.

2/ Make another document (mobile intent) for iPad and make it the correct physical size (so the issues highlighted in 1/ go away) - 197mm * 148mm, now Indesign makes the pixel size of the page 419.528px * 558.425px - not only is it impossible to have a part of a pixel but this IS NOT the correct resolution of an iPad!

It is impossible to make a "page" that is 197mm * 148mm have 768px across and 1024px deep.

Now it's your turn - Please explain how "zooming" will make it the size I want.

• 30. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size

Whatever your experience, your tone is negative and wingeing and one things forums are really good at is throwing back the bad vibes people post with.

So you create a design in InDesign. You can use "pixels" for size if you want, though it's just a shorthand for "points". It's not the size of your iPad. So, you zoom until it is. Then you write down the zoom you had to use. Job done.

You need to add text: you find out the size which looks right on the iPad and the size you need to choose in InDesign for the text. You write it down.

So far you've written down two numbers which you can apply in future. Why isn't that the end of it?

• 31. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size

An analogue for what Adobe have done with "design for mobile" mode in print terms is; they have assumed every printer on Earth is, for example, 150dpi. So if you know you're going to print to a 300dpi printer you'd have to work on a page twice as big

You're confusing resolution with scale. 24pt will print at the same size from printers with different resolutions, but you are assuming the output is always at 100%. A more apt analogy would be a print driver's Fit to Page feature when you try to print a tabloid sized page on letter sized paper

With screens the output is scaled depending on the physical dimensions of the device, so 1200x1900 pixels scales to 33.4% on my iPad mini (326ppi) relative to my iMac 27" display (109ppi)—109/326.

The scaling problem is why browsers detect hi res screens and scale up the page, but even with browser scaling 24pt text will display at different sizes depending on the screen res and device dimensions.

• 32. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                                                        badassdesigner Level 1

At last we're getting somewhere!

No - I'm absolutely not confusing anything with scale - I understand scale as you describe it fully and absolutely. My issue is that Adobe are completely ignoring all you just said and are assuming all devices - evrery one of them - are 72ppi, so you can have the correct number of pixels OR the correct physical size BUT NOT BOTH!

Notice how, in your reply, you make equasions between [physical size], [actual real world number of pixels] and they relate to [resolution]. Take away any one of those 3 and the other two are meaningless. Adobe either takes away the [physical size] or they take away the  [actual number of pixels]. Rendering design for mobile mode useless.

• 33. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                                                          badassdesigner Level 1

You either

1/ genuinely don't understand my issue, or

2/ you're wilfully doubling down like a Trump because you can't admit your answer is rubbish, and that the problem I'm "wingeing" about is real.

I'm "wingeing" because of answers like yours. Do you honestly and genuinely think yours is an acceptable fix?

Again, "zooming" doesn't give me the correct number of pixels and it doesn't give me the correct physical size of the screen. Fiddling around with zoom so it looks roughly the size a real life iPad is, is stupid and doesn't fix my issue - I'll still have the wrong size or the wrong resolution under the hood.

In print, it's like not being able to make a page the size you want or output at the resolution you want.

I simply can not believe you think this is acceptable, so I'm assuming you're taking stance 2/ Whether it's 1/ or 2/ you still feel qualified enough to offer advice and opinion, which may be why I seem to be negative.

• 34. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size

What's the solution to your problem? An ID page has no resolution, so what should the ruler pixel unit dimension be and how would that solve your problem?

• 35. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size
                                                                              badassdesigner Level 1

The ruler pixel unit dimension should be - just as it is in the real world - determined by the physical size of the page/screen and the number of pixels it really has.

It should be possible to make a screen any size and give it any resolution because Adobe can't make presets for every device there is or will be in future

In my examples, I want to make a screen148mm wide with 768px acros (because the real-world resolution/ppi/screen density of my device is 264ppi - iPad), but Adobe will only let me make the screen the correct width OR the correct number of pixels but not both.

The problem it will solve is (to take just two tiny examples) 12pt text will appear at 12pt on the screen in the user's hand, or a 50mm * 50mm box (or 300px * 300px, or whatever) box will appear at the size I expect in th real world on the screen in the user's hand.

I feel like I have explained this a hundred times now.

• 36. Re: set ppi or pixel density or physical screen size

Ruler units don't represent resolution, but you can file a feature request.