17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2017 5:44 AM by BobLevine

Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)

dominikač80097106

Hi,

I would really appreciate help with this, I couldn't find anything remotely associated online.

Indesign CS6 hangs when importing a large pdf file - not large in the terms of the byte size (it's less than 10MB), but it is containing a lot of objects (it's a site plan produced in Autocad with a lot of lines and "hatched" areas). At first I thought it is because the pdf's original dimensions are large - 1000x700mm, but I had no success with importing a resized (tinier) version either. And no success with importing a resized 3MB copy either.

What happens is that after selecting to place the pdf, the importing progress bar hangs in the first third of the process, staying like this for minutes without any progress. I am still able to cancel the process though and indesign resumes just ok again. What's weird is that during the hangs, the indesign cpu usage gets to around 100-90%, but still the blue/red activity monitor graph down is showing 60-70% cpu to be idle. I have an 8GB RAM and 2,6 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor Macbook Pro and I was able to produce the pdfs without any problems in the first place, so I don't think hardware is the problem here.

I checked if it's not a corrupt indesign file, but I have the same problem with similar complex pdfs in new indesign documents as well, and I'm able to import any images or less complex pdfs in any indesign file anytime. So i guess it's the complexity of the pdf, probably the hatched areas are in fact a lot of tiny lines.
      The only way around was to convert the pdf to an image in photoshop, but this is really annoying to do and the quality of the plan is reduced significantly.
      I mean, what is the purpose of Indesign, if it can't handle complex pdfs?

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing?
      Thank you for any remarks and advice,
      Dominika

• 1. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What operating system are you running?

Have you tried restoring your InDesign preferences? (Here's how:)

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

• 2. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)
            George_Salnik Adobe Community Professional

@Steve Werner

I don't think that will help.

dominikač80097106

Can you show some that files?

• 3. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You never know when it will help:

(1) InDesign CS6 won't run well on the latest Mac OS version and causes all kinds of problems.

(2) I have seen on this forum, when I've suggested restoring preferences, it has solved an amazing diversity of problems.

Beyond the two things I suggested, if the poster is willing to post the file so we can test it, we can see whether it's something causing it on her system, or is particular to that file.

• 4. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)
                Luke Jennings Level 4

Are you saving or printing a PDF from AutoCad, or opening the AutoCad file in Acrobat? You may be able to save a less complex PDF from AutoCad. Here are a few suggestions you can try to simplify your PDF;

In Acrobat, go to Tools> Print Production> Flattener Preview> and set the Raster/Vector balance to 99 and save as a new PDF, the object is to keep rastered lines to a minimum, while reducing the complexity of the PDF. Try lower settings, if 99 doesn't help.

You can also try saving the PDF as an Optimized PDF, uncheck images and fonts, but select everything else (check all on), save as a new PDF. I'm not sure if this will make any difference, but your InDesign display preference should probably be- Vector graphics- Proxy.

• 5. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)
                  seqwerqce Level 1

I have exactly the same problem and I'm using a very fast and newest iMac (32Gb RAM, i7, super fast 2Tb SSD).  There seems to be some issue with the GPU rendering in Indesign, and I'm using CC 2017.  By the way, I also have the latest Macbook Pro 2017 with the high features - high end GPU, CPU and 2Tb SSD - same exact problem.

Here are the issues that I'm experiencing, and some solutions below:  When I place a medium complexity AI (Illustrator PDF) file in Indesign, Indesign severely slows down.  I have to wait a second or two every slight movement of the page around the screen.  By medium complexity, the AI file has a complex shadow made by of multiple rings - not anything I would call super complex at all.  Also the screen rendering is terrible - some aliasing effects or who knows what.

Just to compare, I drop the same file in Affinity Designer and I'm able to move around the page with 1000% better performance - there is a tiny amount of screen redrawing and zooming delay but the rendering is crisp just as if it were in Illustrator. 

So something's up and experimented a little:

First I reinstalled Indesign as is mentioned here. That did nothing.  Same problem remains.

Next I went into Indesign's preferences.  I tried adjusting the Display Performance to medium for vector graphics.  The result is I now have a vector image that is blocky.  It looks terrible but I can more around the screen effortlessly.  For a designer that is not a solution.  I understand if I were placing a CAD model of an entire car in a document but nowhere near that here, not by a mile.  So this solution is not working for me.

Next, I tried turning off the GPU in GPU Performance settings (also turning vector rendering back to maximum quality).  That really helped matters a lot.  Now the pan/zoom across the screen is about 200% better but still extremely sluggish.  But also now the vector image looks as it should.  Still this is not a working solution for me.

Lastly, I resorted to making a 600 dpi PNG export of the vector right out of illustrator.  I placed that instead of the AI PDF file and sluggish and rendering problems are gone.   However, instead of my super crisp vector image there are slight jaggies when rendering the raster on the Indesign screen - which is incorrect rendering because the output is so much better, not perfect but I can live with that.

Adobe - please fix this GPU issue so that these vectors can work correctly.  I honestly cannot do good work if I cannot place even medium complex vectors into Indesign.  By comparison, I can place 100 layer PSD files right into Indesign and there is hardly any lag. 

• 6. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you're using CC2017 you DO NOT have the same issue. The OP was using CS6.

Secondly if haven't updated to CC2017.1, do so. There are a lot of bug fixes.

• 7. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)
                      seqwerqce Level 1

Hi Bob,

Yes I have exactly the same issue as Dominika described above.  My Indesign version is 2017.1/12.0.1.56 build.  My laptop is the 2016 Macbook Pro 15" with the AMD Radeon 460 4Gb vRAM, i7, 16Gb RAM.  My desktop has twice the GPU power (4 TFLOPS).

I have uninstalled Indesign several times, not saving preferences, restarting the laptop, and I am not able to place and work with the most rudimentary vector files (other than simple logos).  The program just hangs and I'm forced to choose between blocky placeholder images (not high quality rendering) - which as a designer I'm not going to do, or pixelate the vector files by first converting to a PNG.  Or turning off the GPU but really the same lag but more decent screen drawing.

Please see the weird effect with the GPU - it stumbles as it tries to draw the shadow - a series of polygons overlapped.  By comparison my other design software is extremely fast.  Even Photoshop is blazing.  And so is Illustrator.  My issue is with Indesign.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know - as I'm not able to work within Indesign with this behaviour. 

Thanks,

Alex

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 4.46.24 AM.png

• 8. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)

What version of Mac OS are you using?

• 10. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)

How large is that PDF? Does it happen with less complex PDFs? Does it happen when placed in other InDesign files?

Have you tried trashing your ID preferences?

• 11. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)
                            seqwerqce Level 1

Hi Bob,

PDFs are not very complex at all - normal simple mockup templates that you get from Envato or elsewhere.  When I open up the PDF as an AI in Illustrator the image looks as it should.  I'm including an image that is from a 520k AI file (that was converted and saved and appears as it should in Illustrator and also as in Preview).  Next please see what that pasted AI looks like in Indesign - and also looks exactly the same way when it printed out to PDF as a document.   Note that this image doesn't have the lag zoom effect that stopped my work yesterday - that was a 700k AI file.  However this time it's worse - rendering is buggy.  Effectively I cannot work with AIs/vectors in current version of Indesign.  Just to note it all worked well for me in the past as I've been using InDesign for over 10 years.

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 11.20.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-29 at 11.19.00 PM.png

• 12. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)
                              seqwerqce Level 1

Hi Bob - I've been also hearing about a bug with MacOS Sierra for computers using AMD cards (basically the only type they've sold since 2015).  This has something to do with a Metal bug and will be fixed in High Sierra.  I have run into some real bug here with my posts and guessing it is this.   But it doesn't affect Illustrator or Photoshop - both run extremely well.  But recently InDesign seems affected, at least on my end, on two separate CPU/GPU capable systems.

• 13. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)

There were some issues with GPU acceleration with earlier versions of Sierra and InDesign but I thought they had been taken care of.

I doubt it will make a difference but have you tried trashing your preferences?

• 14. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)

One more thing; in your preferences set live screen drawing to delayed. Do not use immediate.

• 15. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)
                                    seqwerqce Level 1

yes, completely trashed several times, and reinstalled, but issue persists.

• 16. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)
                                      seqwerqce Level 1

has been on delayed screen drawing. 

• 17. Re: Indesign hangs when importing a complex pdf (site plan)

Some other ideas:

Turn off live preflight. Close the info panel. Turn off thumbnails in the pages panel.