15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 2:36 AM by adriant12105070

Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC

adriant12105070

I use a Mac with all images on an external drive. Periodically, I back up this drive to a secondary external drive. The Adobe Help Desk had to go into my computer to sort out a problem that compromised a particular folder with 2500 edited images. Those images were backed up and the compromised images were removed from the primary drive. Now I want to reload the edited folder to Lightroom( on the primary drive). However, the folder contains CR2, DNG and XMP files. My question is, how do I instal the folder without the CR2 files which otherwise would double the number of imported images! and would have to be removed. I don't want to lose all the editing work that was done when I reload the folder, so is there a way to load without the CR2 images OR load all three files and easily mass delete the CR2's

Thanks very much,

Adrian

• 1. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
          dj_paige Level 9

The Adobe Help Desk had to go into my computer to sort out a problem that compromised a particular folder with 2500 edited images.

What does this mean? What did they actually do? Did they delete the photos from the first hard disk, but not from Lightroom? Or does it mean something else? Please be extremely specific and detailed.

Now I want to reload the edited folder to Lightroom( on the primary drive). However, the folder contains CR2, DNG and XMP files. My question is, how do I instal the folder without the CR2 files which otherwise would double the number of imported images!

So you only want the DNG files? Because that's what previously was in Lightroom?

Using your operating system, copy only the DNG photos from your backups to the proper location on the first external HD where Lightroom thinks the photos are located.

• 2. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
            adriant12105070 Level 1

Thank you, however, if I only copy the DNG files, won't I lose all the previous editing work. In other words, don't I need to copy the XMP files too? Or is it better to copy all three files, including the CR 2's, if there is a one stop way of deleting all of the CR 2's from Lightroom

• 3. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

There are no XMP files with DNG RAW images. If you have the option check to Auto write changes to XMP the edits get written to the DNG file itself into a special area of the DNG file that does not change the original image. Same thing happen with TIFF and JPG files.

• 4. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
                dj_paige Level 9

adriant12105070 wrote:

Thank you, however, if I only copy the DNG files, won't I lose all the previous editing work. In other words, don't I need to copy the XMP files too? Or is it better to copy all three files, including the CR 2's, if there is a one stop way of deleting all of the CR 2's from Lightroom

Maybe you will lose the editing work and maybe you won't, the answer depends on what Adobe did, and you didn't explain what Adobe did.

• 5. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
                  adriant12105070 Level 1

OK, the Catalog containing the folder in question was backed up in the normal course. All the folders in this, the only catalog, were edited. In selecting the folder I need to reload from the backup, I see three references to each image number.....DNG, XMP and CR 2. I cannot answer your question as to what Adobe did, other than to say Adobe did the same as it always does in the process of downloading from the camera and going through the process of adding metadata and editing in the Develop Module.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
                    dj_paige Level 9

if you can't tell me what Adobe did, then please look into your Lightroom catalog and determine if the folders in question, and the photo previews in those folders, are still showing in Lightroom. If the folders and previews are present, is there an exclamation point icon or question mark icon on the photos or folders? Also, are the photos in these folders in Lightroom DNG or CR2 or something else?

Please let me know.

• 7. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
                      adriant12105070 Level 1

The folder is not in Lightroom.

• 8. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
                        dj_paige Level 9

Then it would appear to me that you should import the photos into your Lightroom catalog.

I would suggest you import the CR2 and not the DNG, as the XMP files may contain your edits, which Lightroom can use.

When you import the photos into Lightroom, you probably want to choose the COPY option, and then select as the Destination the desired folder where the photos used to be before the unfortunate problem.

• 9. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
                          adriant12105070 Level 1

The three sets, DNG, XMP and CR2  are only in the Catalog backup, Iin this case in a folder in the backup. I can easily import, through the Import function, all three sets of images, but am trying not to have to go to each individual CR2 and delete it from Lightroom as that would mean deleting 2500 images, which would be tedious. The folder in Lightroom was deleted.

• 10. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
                            dj_paige Level 9

Now I'm confused.

but am trying not to have to go to each individual CR2 and delete it from Lightroom as that would mean deleting 2500 images,

Didn't you just say the folder containing these photos is NOT in your Lightroom catalog?

• 11. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
                              adriant12105070 Level 1

Sounds like we are getting there. I will have to create a new folder as the original does not exist in Lightroom. Then, if I understand correctly, I should import, through the Copy function, the CR2 and XMP files and not the DNG files. If that is correct, am I to understand that all the images, along with the metadata will hopefully be restored?

• 12. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
                                adriant12105070 Level 1

I think our responses are crossing, so perhaps we need to slow down  . The Catalog in Lightroom does not have in it the folder in question. The full backup of the catalog does contain the subject folder. Does that help?

• 13. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
                                  dj_paige Level 9

adriant12105070 wrote:

Sounds like we are getting there. I will have to create a new folder as the original does not exist in Lightroom.

No! That is not what I am advising. (And by the way, you didn't really answer my question)

Then, if I understand correctly, I should import, through the Copy function, the CR2 and XMP files and not the DNG files. If that is correct, am I to understand that all the images, along with the metadata will hopefully be restored?

When you import the photos, with the COPY option, you use the Destination Panel in the Import dialog box to specify what folder (new or existing) the photos are supposed to be imported into. (See section 5 here: How to transfer photos from a hard drive folder to Photoshop Lightroom )

Import just the CR2 files, and if the edits and metadata are contained in the XMP files (this information may NOT be there, or it may be there), then Lightroom will make use of whatever is in the XMP files.

• 14. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
                                    adriant12105070 Level 1

Thanks very much for your patience.  I will give it a try and see what happens, after which, I will let you know.

Adrian

• 15. Re: Re-load edited folder to Lightroom CC
                                      adriant12105070 Level 1

Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately, transferring the CR2's did not bring any metadata with them and took several hours to complete the transfer. I deleted the transferred CR2's and called  Adobe Lightroom Support, who created a new Catalog from the standalone external backup drive,  This was imported to the data drive. Then this new catalog was merged with the operating catalog and thus became a folder, from which unwanted images, being folders in the backup drive, were deleted from Lightroom (not from the disk), leaving the restored images, complete with all the Develop settings and metadata. The process took about an hour or more for the Support person to complete.

For other readers who subscribe to the CC version, which is worth every penny in difficult situations, the telephone support can be invaluable.

Once again, thank you for your input and the link you provided.

Adrian