3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 10:44 PM by Geoff the kiwi

Lightroom laggy and slow in windows 10

Macheen

So here is the issue, my client an avid Apple user upon my advice had me build him a custom system for him based on windows 10 64 with my recommendations for hardware. As is it is now his Apple 'almost' runs circles around the new build (but is slower) and he edits photographs in RAW at high resolution and does batch etc etc...not really my bailiwick if you will. I am a hardware guy. That said we have had nothing but issues with LR and yes he has CC and all that and an account pays a lot of money for this, does real estate shoots and on average process's 300 photo's a day everyday. We have tried various tweaks, scratch disk etc upping the cache etc yet still when he hits batch edit...tic toc tic toc...... Here are the exact specs:

Video: VGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4996-KR 6GB FTW

Mobo: ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard

Ram: Corsair-Vengeance-Pro-Series-16GB-PC3-15000-DDR3-1866MHz-CMY16GX3M2A1866C9  (32 gigs)

3) Hard drives: WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX

SSD: (boot drive) HyperX Predator Half-Height, Half-Length (HH-HL) 240GB PCI-Express 2.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SHPM2280P2H/240G

Cabels: ViewSonic CB-00010555 6.0' (1.8 m) Black Connector on First End: DisplayPort Digital Audio/Video DisplayPort Audio/Video Cable M-M

3) Monitor's: NEC Monitor PA272W-BK-SV 27

CPU: AMD FX 6300 3.5 Ghz Six Core

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Power Supply:  CORSAIR RMx Series RM1000X 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD

Now what in the heck are we doing wrong? his internet is 150 Mb's down and 25 up on a bad day. This is a single purpose machine period. Today for troubleshooting I uninstalled all the Asus crud etc, the Nvidia suite's etc. Now it is back to stable but slow as snot, however while I was watching him via team viewer it was slow, I logged out of Team Viewer and his machine crashed again, that might just be a glitch due to the remote viewing. All current updates are installed and no real big flags in the event viewer, normal microsnot stuff. I am open to any idea's period. Thanx folks. Mac

• 1. Re: Lightroom laggy and slow in windows 10
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ok, I would suggest three drives:

1 - keep the app on the internal ssd

2 - get another drive to keep the Catalog and previews on

3 - a third drive for image files

Disk access is important so having the components separated does help....

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom laggy and slow in windows 10
            Macheen Level 1

Thanx,

App is on the SSD drive. There are 3 2 TB drives, cache is on one of them (scratch disk), do not know where the catalog is 'exactly', should be put #2 then? (if it is not) so he should make a separate folder on drive #3 to dump his images on in appropriate folders for the project (s)? We allocated like 15 Megs of memory too...forget exactly where at this time of the night. What are your thoughts on the hardware of the system?

Thanx Mac

• 3. Re: Lightroom laggy and slow in windows 10
              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes separate the catalog from the app and images...

I use Macs so don't have much of an idea on PC specs...

My set up is

Internal SSD for app

Thunderbolt external for Catalog

Various drives for images - thunderbolt and USB

1 person found this helpful