3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2016 9:33 AM by JimHess

Trying to Photo Merge an image to HDR but options are grayed out

gotisch68

I've just learned how to do this but when I select an image to Photo Merge to HDR both the drop down menu from 'Photos' and the keyboard shortcut of Control H show me that both the HDR and Panorama functions are grayed out and not actionable. I've tried this on various images in both the Library Module and in the Develop module.

Any insights on why this is happening ? Thank you

Bob

• 1. Re: Trying to Photo Merge an image to HDR but options are grayed out
          Bob Somrak Level 5

gotisch68 wrote:

I select an image to Photo Merge to HDR

When you say select AN image, do you mean you are only selecting ONE image?   For Photomerge you need to select multiple images.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trying to Photo Merge an image to HDR but options are grayed out
            gotisch68 Level 1

I am aware of that - actually I included both "HDR" and "Panorama" because I was trying to "practice" what I had just learned. I would not have attempted to Photo Merge just one image for a pano but am aware that one can make pseudo-HDR images from just one image. It was the attempt to do just that which resulted in only a grayed out option offer under Photo Merge for both merging choices which caused me to make this post.

However, the maxim "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" might be said to apply here, since conventional HDR does require multiple images but 'non-conventional' HDR can sometimes be produced from just one image. Since I had no readily available multiple proper HDR candidates I tried to do a non-conventional single image HDR.

As my posting showed, that didn't work. I find it most disconcerting when I think I've learned something, go to practice it, and then it doesn't work after all. That's what happened here because I tried to practice via a pseudo-HDR "shortcut".

Now you've disabused me of that notion, for which I'm grateful. I just tried a proper multiple image Photo Merge and it worked like a charm.

Thank you for your clear-headed advice. !

Bob

• 3. Re: Trying to Photo Merge an image to HDR but options are grayed out
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is not possible to create a "pseudo-HDR" image in Lightroom with a single image. The HDR function requires that you have at least two separate images. And you cannot create a copy and adjust the exposure on one of them. You must have at least two separate images.