2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2016 10:35 PM by Obenreizer

Trouble sequentially numbering when Figure/Captions are mixed (some Anchored, others Unanchored)

Obenreizer Level 1

I have a story which contains a number of Figures-with-Captions — some of the Figure/Captions are anchored, and some are un-anchored ("free floating"). Anchored object captions automatically number sequentially according to their anchor position in the document (the first anchored Figure/Caption is auto-numbered Figure 1; the second-in-line Figure/Caption, Figure 2; an so on). Makes perfect sense. However, un-anchored objects seem to number randomly (or by some other criteria).

The problem: if I place, for example, an UN-anchored Figure/Caption object in between two Anchored Figure/Caption objects, it does not change the numbering scheme such that the numbering of the set of objects (from top to bottom of story) is sequential.

The question: is there a method to assign sequential numbering to Figure/Caption objects when some of those objects are anchored, and some are not?

• 1. Re: Trouble sequentially numbering when Figure/Captions are mixed (some Anchored, others Unanchored)
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

The only solution I know is to anchor every item, or write the caption into the normal text.

The anchor must be set at least in the paragraph before the image as otherwise the text wrap might get problematic.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trouble sequentially numbering when Figure/Captions are mixed (some Anchored, others Unanchored)
            Obenreizer Level 1

FYI, I have a hideous fix, but it will work (especially given I only have five Figures): make a Paragraph Style for each Caption (one style starts numbering at "1"; another starts numbering at "2"; and so on, up to however many Figures are present. The Styles can be applied to the Captions (be they associated with anchored or un-anchored objects) in any order, including sequentially with order of appearance. Of course, I am hoping there is an easier way.

Willi, thank you for your suggestion.  In my particular case, I need a floating Figure/Caption in between the 3rd and 4th anchored Figure/Captions. I could make an anchored object work at that location, but with great pain, albeit probably not as much as just making five paragraph styles, and getting the benefit of having the object float.
                 As an aside, when the Figure/Caption objects appear in mixed order, it appears that all anchored objects are labeled first, then the un-anchored objects are labeled after that.