16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 7:22 AM by Abambo

Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize

TimB21

Is there a way to store a largish Library (120GB) in the cloud and access/edit/organize it from 2 Macs?  I have a Creative Cloud membership, not the teams version as I'm an individual.

I find it hard to think that there's no solution to this but I understand that Adobe's solutions top out at 100GB, what do other people do?

-=Tim=-

[Moved from the non-support forum Lounge to a product-specific support forum - Mod]

• 1. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize
          Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Hi Tim,

We use Dropbox or Google Drive, where the storage plans go higher.

This is is an advanced topic, requiring a good understanding of both LR and cloud storage, including how to avoid and how to resolve "conflicted copy" issues. Here's how I do it:

A Portable Lightroom Catalog - Mike Hoffman

Mike

• 2. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you explain more of what kind of work you're doing with this "library"? Is it a set of assets that you want to use to create things (like the libraries panel in Adobe CC apps)? Or did you mean something different? What kind of files are in this library? Are these two Macs in different places or in the same building?

• 3. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize
              TimB21 Level 1

I'm talking about a Lightroom catalog and the photos that it refers to.  I'd like to be able to easily work on all my photos from two places (not at the same time) via a cloud.

Is that a better explanation? :-)

-=Tim=-

• 4. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is much better. A Lightroom library is very different from other possible things you might have meant by library!

I see a moderator has now moved your thread to the correct forum. (But I think Mike may have already given you the correct answer.)

• 5. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize
                  TimB21 Level 1

Thanks Mike and Szalem.

Mike, I'm a heavy user of keywords to organize my photos.  I watched the video but does your solution work with organizing and viewing by keywords?

-=Tim=-

• 6. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize
                    TimB21 Level 1

...and I guess there really isn't a peer relationship between the computers.  One holds all the photos and the other just the catalog?

Its OK, I'm just making sure I understand. :-)

Thanks!

-=Tim=-

• 7. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize
                      TimB21 Level 1

Sorry about this, but I keep realizing more questions...

Can I add photos to the computer that has just the catalogs?  That's really the key here for me.

Thanks again for everyone's patience!

-=Tim=-

• 8. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize
                        Abambo Adobe Community Professional

As it is possible to organize your Lightroom database on Dropbox or similar, you need to be aware, that this is not supported by Adobe. Lighthroom is not multiuser/multimachine aware and does not handle problems that might arise with such configurations. But as you read from former replies: it works for some.

My solution of working on different computers is an external disk, where I store my recent pictures on (recent meaning from 2015 on). I also keep the catalog on this disk. This allows me to access my pictures from my work computer, from my work laptop, from my personal laptop and from my home desktop.

On my home desktop, I import the catalog to a desktop catalog, where I keep all my photos since the start of my digital age. That catalog and photos get backed-up to my NAS.

This solution makes me very mobile. Since some time I'm using an external SSD for the task. I'm sure that I can keep going on at this pace for three to four years before I need to invest into a higher capacity external drive.

• 9. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize
                          selondon Level 4

Adobe had an unlimited Cloud Storage solution (Revel) that had a slick interface and automatically synced between Mac Apps and iOS when edits were made.

It was great for me as I mainly take family photos that I want to store and share. Although I did have a darkroom back in the day and am a Photoshop User (by trade for 20+ years) so do have a bit of an imagery background.

However, it seems the LR crowd didn't much care for Revel. That's understandable (as for Pros and enthusiasts), RAW was late coming, there was no metadata, copyrighting, extensive editing, geotagging, flagging, rating, keywords (although you could name tag). Additionally, if you had a large shoot, uploading and syncing would take ages I guess as opposed to working locally. I still don't quite understand why more LR users wouldn't have it preferred over Dropbox though for Storage and Sharing though?

Anyway, Revel closed in February and in the closure notice (when users like me were pushed towards the Photo CC plan) we were sold that Cloud Storage was coming.

It's kind of happened with LrM and LrW (which are Revel-esque) which upload Original Res to the Cloud, but it isn't really advertised and they download at a lower res.

Who knows whether Adobe introduce Cloud Storage with all LR platforms syncing?

I imagine though it may require a total overhaul of LR Desktop (to have it as an option at least) and along with the sync time, do the users want it?

• 10. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize

TimB21 wrote:

...and I guess there really isn't a peer relationship between the computers. One holds all the photos and the other just the catalog?

Lightroom is a single workstation solution. If you use dropbox to hold the catalog, your fooling Lightroom into thinking that the catalog sits on a local drive, which is obviously not really the case. This said, it would end in a catastrophic situation, if you would edit pictures on both computers at the same time or if synchronization would not be complete, before opening Lightroom on the second computer. This is true for the database (called catalog in Lightroom language), that holds all your edits and previews  but no real pictures. It makes sense to take a look in the Lightroom catalog file structure, just to get used to the concept.

BTW: LR asks at regular intervals for creating a backup of your catalog structure. I strongly recommend doing these backups and storing them in a different location/disk to the working catalog.

Pictures may reside on a network or a cloud service and this is officially supported. The only drawback is the storage need for storing the RAW pictures. I have about 3 TB of RAW data, that would probably not fit in a decent storage plan.

• 11. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize

TimB21 wrote:

Can I add photos to the computer that has just the catalogs? That's really the key here for me.

You will need to have access to the pictures for certain operations. Most of the editing operations can be done while the pictures are offline. Obviously, one of the operations where the pictures need to be on-line is the export operation.

• 12. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize
                                TimB21 Level 1

Here's a thought.  What if someone had Mac OSX Sierra (not yet released beyond beta) which includes desktop (and documents folder) sync'ing through iCloud and I turned it on on both devices?  I'd pay for the storage but it'd just sync.  Would that work?  (I understand that I still couldn't do simultaneous edits and I'd need to quit out of one app before using the other.

-=Tim=-

• 13. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize
                                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

If you are frequently using both computers for your editing, the easy solution (not the pretty solution) is to put the images and the LR catalog on an external drive and just move the drive from computer to computer as needed.

• 14. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize

If Lightroom knows about you wanting the catalog on a network drive, LR would refuse as it does today. The trick with Dropbox works, because LR has no idea working on a networked area.

LR disallows this to protect data integrity.

• 15. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize
                                      TimB21 Level 1

I'm going to experiment with the OSX Sierra solution for 2016 photos (after a Time Machine backup) and see what happens!

-=Tim=-

• 16. Re: Cloud Storage-access/edit/organize

Besides the fact that a backup is always a good thing, I do not expect any problem as long as there is no concurrent access.