8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 4:52 AM by Abambo

Lightroom CC Exposure compensation too rough?

Sika-Petteri

Hi!

I wonder if there´s any useful way of getting the Exposure compensation slider in "Develop" panel to work properly! Now it works in Lightroom CC2015 too "roughly" and its almost unusable so: incresing exposure "+0,55" blows the highligts off and You need to correct them "-100" to get them back and then the whole image looks plastic.

Is the exposure "amount" related to AV values - I cannot believe so? I might need a virtual ND filter to Lightroom.

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC Exposure compensation too rough?
          Abambo Level 4

Please give screenshots and information about the type of pictures (RAW, TIFF, JPEG). Camera make and model my also be helpful.

I can not confirm your problem with my pictures. As it is true that adding to the exposure influences also the whites and highlights, I do not feel that this influence is excessive.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC Exposure compensation too rough?
            Sika-Petteri Level 1

Oh sorry of course! My cameras are 2 x Canon 5D Mk III and I shoot with raw. Here´s an example: finnish politicia fishing and making politics; the original is slightly underexposed to preserve the highlights and the blueness of the sky, below is the image added "+1,00" which definitely cannot be "+1 AV", or what You think?

LRExposure.jpg

Or if it is I´d like LR to have the "Exposure" slider with options to have much more subtle outlet..

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC Exposure compensation too rough?
              dj_paige Level 9

The problem is that you apparently want to adjust the main part of the scene by +1 and the sky/clouds by a different number, maybe 0?

You can achieve this with the graduated filter or adjustment brush, by using these tools to lower the exposure on the clouds/sky.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC Exposure compensation too rough?
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Try Exposure +0.5, drag Shadows slider to the right to lift the shadows, then drag Highlights to the left to lower highlights.

If that isn't enough, try local adjustments in addition, as suggested.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC Exposure compensation too rough?
                  Sika-Petteri Level 1

Thanks for advices. I´ll test and judge! That image of the politician at fish is actually only one example of the LR exposure-compensation tool which bothers me. The whole issue may be about that I have quite recently upgraded my workflow from totally different Canon DPP raw converter to LR.

The results are obviously different. I prefer somehow LR, even if I like more the red or skin tones what DPP produces - and its more subtle exposure compensation tools.

Cheers and happy holidays for the european fellows!

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC Exposure compensation too rough?
                    elie_di Level 3

Exposure can be moved in increments of 0.10 by using either the +/- keys or the up/down arrow keys. First you need to click on the word 'Exposure' (for the +/- keys) or on the text (number) box below the word "Auto (for the arrow keys).

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Lightroom CC Exposure compensation too rough?
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sika-Petteri wrote:

The whole issue may be about that I have quite recently upgraded my workflow from totally different Canon DPP raw converter to LR.

Canon DPP is totally different than LR's PV2012 Basic panel controls. The Exposure control should be used to set the midtone brightness only.

This should be helpful:

Re: camera calibration profiles: standard vs neutral

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Lightroom CC Exposure compensation too rough?
                        Abambo Level 4

Your using the same camera then I do, and Lightroom is absolutely amazing doing what you want to do.

May be you find it more intuitive to work the histogram instead of the sliders. It's the same, but you see what area in the histogram is modified. Blacks - Shadows - Exposure - Highlights - Whites (out of memory).

If you want selectively influencing part of the image use the local adjustments: graduated filter, radial filter, adjustment brush.

In HSL/Colour you can adjust specific colour ranges (I pick them, takes away the guesswork). Curves are best for contrast adjustments. I also like subtle Vibrance and Clarity adjustments.

I always start my adjustment work with the lens corrections and then perspective corrections. After that I do my adjustments from above.

You may also experiment with the camera profiles. The standard Adobe profile is somewhat more neutral then Canons defaults. This may solve your skinn problem.

2 people found this helpful