1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 1, 2016 12:45 PM by Bill Gehrke

Graphic card performance in pci-e (3.0) x8 lane slot?

Indio22 Level 1

How much if any does running a graphics card in a pci-e 3.0 x8 lane slot limit the performance for Premier (or for other Creative Studio applications such as After Effects)?  Currently I am running a 560ti graphics card.  Probably an older card such as that takes no performance hit running x8? 

I wonder at what point in modern graphics cards, does running with x8 lanes start causing performance issues?  The reason I ask, is because I am intrigued by the new pci-e SSDs, which require x4 3.0 pci-e slot for max performance.  On my current Z97 board, that would require running my graphics card at x8, in order to use the x4 slot for the SSD.

• 1. Re: Graphic card performance in pci-e (3.0) x8 lane slot?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do not worry about it, do it.  Your old card will not hardly notice the change.  Plan on upgrading to something like the GTX 1060 eventually, I just got one and am impressed for the moderate cost with reasonable performance.  With 3-4 times as many CUDA cores and much greater memory bandwidth it is a good buy.  I have a crippled GTX 970 (only runs at x8) that I run an am happy with it.