3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 7:02 AM by Szalam

Win10 and NVidia kernel panics

Ruairidh Smith

Hi

I'm looking for advice if possible, recently upgraded to Win10/latest AE and getting constant kernel panics.

Running AE CC 2015.3 on Windows 10 - AMD Phenom II X6 processor with 16GB of Ram and experiencing constant crashes and freezes. Graphics card is an NVidia GeForce GTX 970 - all drivers and software versions are fully up-to-date (CC 2015.3 & NVidia 368.81).

I'm getting this from the error log:

"Faulting application name: AfterFX.exe, version: 13.8.0.144, time stamp: 0x57512541

Faulting module name: nvoglv64.DLL, version: 10.18.13.6881, time stamp: 0x5782c7de

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x000000000143de8c

Faulting process id: 0x271c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1e983ee7ecf3b

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2015.3\Support Files\AfterFX.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\nvoglv64.DLL"

Anyone able to suggest a solution? The crashes make it impossible to work for any more than five minutes at a time and I have deadlines looming...

Many thanks,

• 1. Re: Win10 and NVidia kernel panics
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did today's bug fix update (version 13.8.1) make things better?

If not, could you describe a bit more what you're doing when those panics happen?

• 2. Re: Win10 and NVidia kernel panics
            Ruairidh Smith Level 1

Hi Szalam

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately the bugfix didn't help. AE froze then crashed after about two minutes of use after installing th eupdate and rebooting. There doesn't seem to be any particular one thing in AE that causes the panic - just using it in general. I do use a lot of GPU intensive plugins - Element 3D etc - but it crashes regardless of what I'm doing within the application.

• 3. Re: Win10 and NVidia kernel panics
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try an older NVIDIA driver like 361.91

If that's not it, do older versions of AE work? Remember, you can use the CC app to download and install CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 versions of AE in addition to CC 2015.3 - all alongside each other.

I'd suggest trying CC 2014 - at least to meet your deadlines. CC 2014, CC 2015, and CC 2015.3 can all use the same files without any compatibility issues (except for if you use one of the new features like the new Lumetri or Gaussian blur effects in CC 2015.3, but even then it'll still open the files just fine - you'll just have missing effects).