14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 4:42 PM by Sandee Cohen

Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb

mikejasinski Level 1

Hello. Was noticing that my file sizes are growing and did a blank test. New blank 8.5x11" document and saved (to the internal 1tb MP drive) and it's 5MB. Whats going on? There are no styles, colors, etc. It's blank. I asked my partner to do the same on their computer and it's 875kb.

thoughts?

• 1. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Do a file > save as to clear out extraneous data.

• 2. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Export as IDML, open it and save as new file.

• 3. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
              Pickory Level 3

Its probably your disk block size, get info on the file, see how many bytes.

P.

• 4. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
                George_Salnik Adobe Community Professional

What's up? 21-st century, Tb-hdd, flying cars, starships to Mars.

5 mb? Don't worry.

Just one question with joke, but not joke: Why you so need to save empty indd?

• 5. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
                  Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Actually, this is evidence of something wrong.

And the empty file was saved to text how big the file would be.

• 6. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
                    [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

I get a file that is even (marginally) smaller: 860 Kb.

A quick look: 18 data pages in use, each 4Kb, for pure data management (about 12% of the entire file); a couple of crossref target definitions – only the built-in ones; 32Kb of plug-in data; about 48Kb of default document data (including lots and lots of index section definitions that I'll probably never will use); a few Kb of verbatim copied printer definitions. Complete font description sets for Minion, Myriad, and Kozuka – still, these are about 8K each. At the end 16Kb of XML metadata.

In other words, nothing out of the ordinary. The plug-in block has steadily grown over all versions of InDesign, but apart from that there are only very few 'new' data blocks. In fact, my ol' CS4's "empty" document is slightly larger – 901KB (although I might have not cleansed it thoroughly enough before saving).

Do you have a default installation, or a couple of extra plugins? Ever use scripts that could store their default settings into the 'application' itself? Extravagantly defined Table or Object Styles?

If you want, I could do a similar in depth check on your presumed-to-be-empty document, and at the very least check if it contains any unusual objects, or "the usual" but of an unusually large size.

• 7. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
                      mikejasinski Level 1

Thanks everyone. I'm not concerned about the size, but I do know it's not the norm, so I just don't want anything weird to happen to the files and get them messed up. Enclosed is a screengrab. (i've also enclosed a dropbox link to a zip file containing Untitled-2.idml and Untitled-3.indd for testing)

Untitled-2.indd is a new blank document. 3.9MB

Untitled-2.idml is the above saved as idml. 33KB

Untitled-3.indd is the idml saved back to indd. 3.9MB

i do use plugins, but nothing my partner doesnt have: Suitcase fusion 18, zevrix link optimizer, DTP cloud (annotations, find colors, blatners tools/tips), intools style utilities and rorohiko text exporter.

The new document has no styles (text, char, table) and about 20 swatches. clearing swatches does nothing.

ScreenShot_MJ_ 2016-08-01 at 6.24.25 PM.jpg https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5j244khuuf46da/forfilesizetesting.zip?dl=0

• 8. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
                        mikejasinski Level 1

I saved an empty file because I noticed that a simple 2 page file (envelope with just text and 1 imported ai file) was 6mb. Did a save as and idml and it was still almost 5mb. Past history told me it should be less that 1mb. So I deleted everything and it was still 4mb. Thus me trying a blank doc.

• 9. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
                          mikejasinski Level 1

Default install. plugins noted above. files posted for looking into. My scripts are default with the only one i run "being find change by list". 2 other extra scripts i use (but have been forever) are "pageexporterutility" (to export layers as separate files for versioning) and "calendarWizard". No styles that I keep in my blank doc.

• 10. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
                            mikejasinski Level 1

Thanks. Saved as IDML 33kb. More info above.

• 11. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
                              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mikejasinski wrote:

Thanks. Saved as IDML 33kb. More info above.

Hi Mike,

out of curiosity I opened your provided Untitled-2.idml with my InDesign CC 2015.4 and did a "Save As":

Dropbox - Untitled-2.idml-SAVED-WITH-CC-2015.4.indd

File size: 880,640 Byte (881 KB)

I opened your provided Untitled-3.indd and did a "Save As":

3,928,064 Byte (3.9 MB)

I opened your provided Untitled-3.indd, changed color management to my settings and did a "Save As":

2,228,224 Byte (2.2 MB)

Regards,
                              Uwe

• 12. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
                                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Got it. You got me worried for quite a while because I had to scroll to about 90% down in the document dump (which is screens and screens full of cryptic hex dump), but finally my eye fell on these 2 short lines

UID:C6 Sz 34D4B0 bytes -> target length = 3462320 (34D4B0h)

[00007D0A] (Embedded Color Management table -- omitted)

where the "omitted' is said by my dump utility because that the chunk of data is both long and (usually) utterly uninteresting. And it's a whopper! Almost 3.5MB of raw Color Management profiles. A similar table can be found in my own 'empty' documents, but these are tiny, compared with yours: only slightly more than 0.5MB.

I have no idea how you can convince ID to not store this one – maybe you can tinker with the settings in CM.

Also, quite a surprise, TextExporter and some other scripts also wrote some data into an empty document. But it only accounts for a couple of KBs in total.

Side note: extracting your IDML does not show this part. Therefore it must be added by InDesign itself, as soon as you open an IDML file.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
                                  mikejasinski Level 1

Well I never do anything easy. Thank you laubender and jongware for your answers. That is the one thing that my business partner doesn't have on their Mac. It's a profile from our main printer that they requested for all our images and files when we export hires final PDFs (or give the the original Indd and psds).

Atleast I know nothing is corrupted.

thanks so much!

• 14. Re: Indesign cc 2015 blank file is 5mb
                                    Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Well done!

I was worried that no one would have been able to find the problem. And I know 5 mb is WAYYY too big for an empty file.

I LOVE these forums. We have such brilliant people.