5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 4:05 AM by Roei Tzoref

Replace Layer in After Effects with new Clip

COFilms Level 1

Hi All

Really frustrating issue here and I can't work out why it won't deliver expected results.

I have a comp in AE and I need to take a piece of footage and replace it with a new piece of footage whilst keeping all the original parameters etc.  I import the new clip, select the clip/layer in the comp that I want to replace, and then click the clip I want to replace it with in the Project panel and then press CMD+OPT+/ (Mac) and it replaces the layer as expected.  HOWEVER, the clip that I'm expecting to see is not actually showing?? The filename shows in the comp but there's not actual 'block' of footage showing in the timeline for me to trim and I can't actually see the footage at all?

Does anyone know what is going on here? I'm growing decidedly desperate!

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Replace Layer in After Effects with new Clip
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'll bet you need to mess with the in & out points on the replacement layer.  The Replace Footage command keeps ALL the parameters of the old footage, including the way it was trimmed up.

• 2. Re: Replace Layer in After Effects with new Clip
            COFilms Level 1

Hi Dave

Thanks for the help.

I thought that might be the case too.  When I replace the layer it simply seems to disappear.  When I double click the new replaced layer, there are no in or out points set of it - which I thought at first would help but even after setting the in and out points (and being able to see the footage when I double click it) there is still no footage in the timeline and it's not showing in the composition.  Is there a way I can drag on the timeline to move the clip up and down?  There's not a footage block (if that makes sense in the timeline and it would appear there is nothing outside of the timeline/work area.

It's most odd and I am growing increasingly frustrated by this incredibly annoying issue.

• 3. Re: Replace Layer in After Effects with new Clip
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

you are right this is a bit tricky. I guess this is what you get when you try to Edit Video in Ae - it can be a pain. but sometimes you just need to - I get it and support working native most of the time.

since the in/out points don't match you need to do this manually. pay close attention. this could vary in complexity depends on how exact you have to be here. there are a few ways to pull this off. I will try to make this simple:

if you want to preserve the Out Point:

1. you go to the OUT point of the current layer you want to replace

2. you replace the layer Ctrl+Alt+/ with the replace footage in the project window to make the replacement

3. you press the ] Shortcut to move the new replacement layer to the Out point of the current time

4. you manually drag the layer back

(if you need to match the IN point I would either leave the original layer to have the edit visible to me, and make this replacement on the duplicate, or use Composition Markers)

here it is:

animation.gif

if you want to preserve the In Point:

1. you go to the IN point of the current layer you want to replace

2. you replace the layer Ctrl+Alt+/

3. you press the [ or ] Shortcut to move the layer to the Out point of the current time

4. you manually drag the layer back

5. you press the [ key to bring the layer In point to the CTI (if the layer is longer than that, you should go to the Footage panel

(if you need to match the OUT point I would either leave the original layer to have the edit visible to me, and make this replacement on the duplicate, or use Composition Markers)

there is another way to do it it could be simpler or more complicated for you because it involves another window:

1. duplicate the original layer so you will have it's edit points (either that or set Comp markers)

2. replace the top layer with Ctrl+Alt+/

3. click twice to the layer to get to the Layer Panel and you are going to see something scary but not to worry

4. manually take the CTI to the beginning of the layer

5. press the Set In Point symbol here

6. back to the composition window (tired yet?) and take your CTI to the in or out point of the previous layer

7. press [ or ] to move the layer to the current CTI

8. Trim whats left

9. delete the previous layer

10. Take a BREAK!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Replace Layer in After Effects with new Clip
                COFilms Level 1

This is perfect! Thank you so much! This worked a treat! Had to manually drag the clip back but didn't know about the [ or ] buttons function.  THANK YOU!

• 5. Re: Replace Layer in After Effects with new Clip
                  Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Glad it worked [ ] is very basic stuff - you should learn the basics so you won't get stuck:

watch this:

Trimming and sliding edits in Adobe After Effects

read this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/selecting-arranging-layers.html