10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2016 11:17 AM by risestar

ejected my WD my passport for Mac1Tb external USB 3.0 incorrectly

risestar

This started out as choosing photos from Lightroom 5 for an eventual photobook, have been putting all the photos I think I would like to consider on a 128 flash drive. Have a Mac laptop 10.7.5 ,  this flash drive is plugged into the Mac as well as the above mentioned external drive, both icons appear on my desktop of my Mac.  I have over 20,000 photos on WD my passport 1Tb external USB 3.0 . The external acts quirky, have successfully transferred over 100 dng photos they are in JPG format, when I tried the next day to just export one of the photos for transfer to the flash drive it would not let me , now have exclamation marks on the photos in the lightroom program. I have a My Studio Book external was told to update this periodically I have not been doing this , in hindsight I should of done this before tackling the above mentioned project. The message in lightroom is: "File cannot be found" , i think I corrupted the disk on the external because I did not eject probably, however when I decided I had enough of this selection process this was in the beginning of my task only about a week ago I thought it was ejected probably because the icon disappeared, the icon for the WD My Passport for Mac .When I came back the next day into the lightroom 5 program it stated it was not ejected properly. Another words are the photos completely gone? I think I read right click on the exclamation mark then it will ask about location, I just cannot go into the program now, because I am getting sick. something else about synchronizing it I really am upset.

• 1. Re: ejected my WD my passport for Mac1Tb external USB 3.0 incorrectly
          JoeKostoss Level 4

The message "File cannot be found" begs the obvious question; is the external hard drive plugged back in?  If it is plugged in, can you see it in Finder?

• 2. Re: ejected my WD my passport for Mac1Tb external USB 3.0 incorrectly
            risestar Level 1

Of course the external is plugged in. I am not really up to looking in finder,  you make it so simple, I stated there are exclamation marks on the photos in lightroom, once again an issue of synchronization? again , right click action? to find location? there are no question marks which I think was a former visual on lightroom. I organize my photos into a Collection and collection set this is really not the point the number of photos are indicated next to it " example" Birds in the Park" 34 the 34 representing the number of photos this is not grayed out not sure if this is good or not. Concern is did I delete every photo from lightroom.?

• 3. Re: ejected my WD my passport for Mac1Tb external USB 3.0 incorrectly
              JoeKostoss Level 4

risestar wrote:

...Concern is did I delete every photo from lightroom.?

Your photos are not in Lightroom; they are where you put them, which you say should be on your EHD.  The exclamation mark indicates that the photo is not located where Lightroom thinks it is located.  That could mean that the photos were either moved or deleted outside of Lightroom.  In your original post, you said that you "have been putting all the photos I think I would like to consider on a 128 flash drive."  If you actually moved them outside of Lightroom, than Lightroom does not know this. 

So the real question is...Did you move or delete the photos from your Hard Drive.  By looking for the missing photos using the Finder, the goal is to determine where they may be or if, in fact, they are missing.  You can then redirect Lightroom to the new location, or you can move the photos back to their original location using the finder so that Lightroom will rediscover them.

• 4. Re: ejected my WD my passport for Mac1Tb external USB 3.0 incorrectly
                risestar Level 1

got some help, the exclamtion marks disappeared as well as the window that said "files can not be found" lightroomm is a quirky software application. my 20,000 plus photos were never put on the flash drive only about 100.

My point was if you do not eject the external correctly things get bad with lightroom,  also, using "finder" - I do not have any photos on my Hard drive on the Mac laptop, What do you say in the finder anyway to find the location? "Where are my photos"? seems a bite to easy.....  Today I decided to go back into lightroom and found no exclamation points I was able to export one photo from lightroom into the flash I was shocked to see that it was normal again the program has many many quirks .

• 5. Re: ejected my WD my passport for Mac1Tb external USB 3.0 incorrectly
                  risestar Level 1

Went into lightroom, currently running. my external is plugged... NOw have question marks for 53 photoscalled photos July 4, 2016 right clicked, a window popped up says "Find Missing Folder" clicked it a bigger window popped up title is grayed out "Find Missing Folder" yes there is a folder called july 4, 2016 clicked, extreme very tiny tiny images came up extreme right .. On the left side of the window under "Devices" the name I call my external is Bonnie's Backup . I do not understand the window is this part of lightroom? or the Mac? do I drag and drop the july 4, 2016 folder into Bonnies Backup? behind the window called "Find Missing Folder"  lightroom is running do I drag and drop into my collection or previous folder on lightroom that still has the question marks also notice there are about 500 missing photos was able to locate but have exclamation marks on them ok found the folder July 4, 2016 now what do i do.

• 6. Re: ejected my WD my passport for Mac1Tb external USB 3.0 incorrectly
                    risestar Level 1

Realize it gives the option of cancel or choose what happens if I pick choose do not want to push it unless I know what goes on with that selection, thanks Bonnie

• 7. Re: ejected my WD my passport for Mac1Tb external USB 3.0 incorrectly
                      dj_paige Level 9

Please read this article, it explains exactly what happens, with pictures, and what you should do when you are trying to re-link the photos with exclamation point icons or folder with ? icons.

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 8. Re: ejected my WD my passport for Mac1Tb external USB 3.0 incorrectly
                        risestar Level 1

Have been working with 2 external machines, one for the immediate transfer of photos from my camera external called Bonnies Backup " My Passport for Mac"...

another external "My Studio Book" learned this today, Did not realize the "My Studio Book" when plugged into the Mac goes immediately into the "Time Machine" mode. Do not like to nor does the mac like to perform two tasks. that is work on copying photos from one to the other external

Noticed the way I organize my photos in Lightroom does not follow the exact organization  in Bonnie Backup 2 that is the "My Studio Book". When I do transfer the photos from the memory card from the camera it goes into something called "All My Photographs" . currently have over 19,000 more or less , they also go into a another category , do not want to turn the program on now to see the other locations I select them from the main photography group and divide it up with a create a collection and collection set like an outline , this maybe wrong approach this makes sense to me, I have waited along time to backup. Having a problem with...... this Is there an article on backups using two externals? I have been dragging and dropping from 2015 photos to recent 2016

Wanted to just highlight the main photos and highlight and drag over to the Bonnie s Back up 2 without duplicating it thousands of photos already in this category will it be able to recognize duplication? I do not want dupes?

Not easy to drag and drop also not understanding the organizational issue on my 2nd drive looks like a mush mesh if I really wanted to take the time I would have to outline this as well what a hassle. or just be ok with it and  I hopefully have 2nd copies. this is a real pain and not easily understand I do not think this is just me not getting it.

• 9. Re: ejected my WD my passport for Mac1Tb external USB 3.0 incorrectly
                          dj_paige Level 9

I think before we deal with the issue of two machines, you have to fix the problem of the ? icons on folders or exclamation point icons on the photos. The link I gave you gives explicit instructions (with screen captures) on how to do this. If you have questions, let us know.

• 10. Re: ejected my WD my passport for Mac1Tb external USB 3.0 incorrectly
                            risestar Level 1

As time goes on the first problem was solved. now another issue, Have lightroom 5 , an error message comes up in lightroom after working in lightroom after about 5-10 minutes, a box comes up " Did not eject properly, did not turn off the Mac, and unplug something like that is being written in the box .... ", spoke to a Mac Customer service person , looked into the Utility Disk option on the-Mac laptop everything is fine did the repair disk ok working until once again the message comes up this prevents me from continuing in light room have to continually "force quit" out of lightroom cannot export onto my flash drive as I am selecting photos for a photo book, everything just stops. I am ejecting correctly, either from the icon that represents the external drive " MY Passport for Mac external DRive"  clicking and then " Eject Backup:" or going to the device as written out under "Devices" and clicking the ejection button. looks like an arrown with a line underneath,   what is going on here?