32 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2017 4:27 PM by Bill Gehrke

Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro

Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

Hi there

I face low CPU usage on exporting Videos with Adobe Premiere Pro. The usage is between 40-50%. My Hardware should not be the Problem.

• 1. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you actually want help, you need to post some info so us fellow users CAN try to puzzle it out & perhaps help. That's how these forums work.

So ... please, as the FAQ's for the forum suggest ... give us you machine's data ... OS/CPU/RAM/GPU/vRAM; the precise number version including all the numbers after the dot of Premiere Pro you are using ... don't waste our time with "latest" as so often the CC Desktop app is wrong on that ...

The number and type of drives your computer has is also crucial to this, as is the connections between those drives and the motherboard.

Also, please give the framer-rate and frame-size of the media you're working with, what codec/wrapper, and whether created by camera, screen-grab app, phone, whatever.

And ... quite often, when people post questions like this, there are hardware issues involved that they were CERTAIN could not be an issue. Here's a quick report on my computer, not at all a really hot editing machine, but ... usable.

-----------

i7-4770k CPU @3.5Ghz, 32GB RAM, GTX970 video card with 4Gb vRAM, Win7 Pro SP1

8 internal drives (or eSATA-II external): system twin 250GB SSD's in RAID 0; System/PrPro cache files on second SSD; project files, media, previews, and exports on different 1TB or larger HD's all with more than 60% free space.

PrPro 2015.2 (build 9.2.0(41)

Media: 1920x1080p/23.976fps mov files from a Panny GH3.

-----------

Note the number of drives and usage of them, as well as their connections? This program is very read and write intensive, especially the project files, preview files, cache, and media database files. If there is ANY slowdown in the pipelines to get the data from all those let alone your media into and out of the processing subsytems, your CPU will sit at partial use.

Your GPU is only used within PrPro for certain things, and often is not very much involved with export operations either. UNLESS, of course, something you're doing is done by the GPU within the program code. Such as say, scaling 4k media to a 1920x1080 sequence, warp stabilization (I think), and a small number of other things.

Neil

• 2. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
            Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

Hardware:

Asus X99

Nvidia 980 GTX

i7-5820k @ 3,75 Ghz (no thermal throttling)

64 GB Ram

1 SSD 512 GB Crucial MX200 more then 200GB free.

Adobe CC Premiere Pro 2015.3

Video:

Import: mp4 Video 1028x720 48khz audio

Export: H.264 1028x720 25fps 48khz audio

• 3. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
              Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

sorry forgot OS. Windows 8.1 up to date.

• 4. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

all 12 threads are between 40-50%, disk usage is 6-7 MB/s

RAM usage around 12 GB.

• 5. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Moving to the Hardware forum.

Thanks,
                  Kevin

• 6. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                    Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

Tried to Export diffrent Videos, TV Downloads, Camera Videos, diffrent formats and Settings, all the same result stuck at 35-50%. I remember back 1 year ago everything worked at 100% CPU load^.

• 7. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro

Hmmm ... the only thing I'd have to suggest, is perhaps moving the media to a separate drive, probably another SSD internal, and see if that makes any difference. Even with a good SSD, that's a LOT of stuff coming in and off that one drive.

Neil

• 8. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                        Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

I just tried it does not Change anything unfortunately. I dont know a lot about Adobe media Encoding. But should it not be more usage to make it faster? Or what is the reason for the limited CPU usage? What is Holding it back?

• 9. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro

Limited CPU usage is usually a sign of a bottleneck in other computer/system processes, especially disk in/out access processes. Which is again why many editors run rigs with a fair number of drives (like me) or with a decent striped RAID array for sheer speed of disk access.

I've seen people complain of having what they thought was a really hot machine, with a many-core CPU and lots of RAM and a Quadro GPU card ... but exporting slow. On further discussion, they had only one or two drives.

All that other gear didn't make up for running on only one or two drives. It's getting a balance between all the resources the computer needs to do the processing.

Neil

• 10. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                            Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

I tried running with Intel 750 PCIE SSD and SSD. Tried all combination of Settings. It really desperates me.

• 11. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro

What is sort of typical for a desktop, is something like say four drives ... one for OS/programs/system cache; one for PrPro cache & cache database files; one for previews, and one for media. That is basic but does speed things up quite a bit.

Neil

• 12. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

just tried following set up. OS is on SSD. Adobe premiere pro installed on Intel 750 Pcie SSD. Project exported to RAM Disk and stored on RAM disk. absolutely same result

• 13. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                  Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

I thank you very much for your effort to help me. I dont know if this is normal or there must be an issue with Premiere Pro and my System. Dont think theres an easy solution for this problem

• 14. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro

Note how I said to divvy up the bits?

OS/programs ... INCLUDING PrPro on the system drive ...

and move the PrPro media cache, media cache database, and project files to other, separate drives. Your media might work on a fast USB flash drive even, as I've done at times.

The change you made wouldn't do anything helpful.

Neil

• 15. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                      Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

thanks for the Patience. Now installed it on OS drive. and put the other on Thing on diffrent drives and tried diffrent combination. still stuck at 50%. so sad.

• 16. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                        Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

when I Export 720p to 1080p usage goes up to 70%. WHen i Export 720p to 352x288 Resolution it goes up to 80%, Just same Resolution Export has low CPU usage. I just noticed. Well but thats not helpful anyway. Just noticed.

• 17. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro

Well ... that tells us that part of your issue is that writing your export is part of what's slowing things down. Note, when you're writing the much smaller file, which has less disc activity to do so, your CPU use goes up.

Yep ... you need more drives with your project laid out better. As suggested.

Neil

• 18. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                            Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

thank you very much. In some days getting soon HHD to store my Video files. SSD was a short term solution anyway. I hope it will fix it.

• 19. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

That is a backward movement.  The correct design today is all SSD if you can do that.  Hard Disk drives are a thing of the past EXCEPT for archiving and Backup.  But you have to correctly configure 

• 20. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                                Ajdfjj3748 Level 1

well if Money is no issue I agree. but storing couple of TB's on SSD is quite expensive and not worth, in my opinion, only to store thousands of Videos and photos. Unfortunately I found the reason for the slow exporting, the CPU is done. After 14 months.

• 21. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                                  GermanTV Level 3

I run my OS (Windows 8.1) on an SSD and my mediafiles, cache and project on a second SSD via USB 3.1. However my CPU usage is at around 30% (Intel i7 4702MQ), my RAM at 50% (of 16GB) and my GPU (Nvidia GTX 765m) has peaks up to 100% but mostly runs lower (between 30 and 60%). Any ideas? Thank you!

• 22. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro

Your usage of GPU and CPU depend on your media and the effects and features of Premiere Pro that you are using.  Run my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and see 100% CPU usage with the CPU intensive test and 99% GPU usage with the  GPU intensive test

• 23. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                                      GermanTV Level 3

Thank you! It is this is the first time I hear that media itself can be a bottelneck in the system. Classically when talking about bottlenecks I thought of system components which are slower than others and therefore slowdown the whole system; also bad written software. But that media (codecs) itself or features of premiere can also prevent the system to fully use its ersources is new to me.

• 24. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro

Different media and Premiere Pro effects and features all complicate commenting on performance issues.  So back in 2005 I developed the Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) to help resolve issues like yours.  Using Premiere Pro there is a timeline that you export that is strictly Disk intensive, another that is strictly CPU intensive, a third test that uses the CPU intensive timeline but this time with the GPU MPE acceleration enabled to test and demonstrate full GPU acceleration, and then the last test is a multimedia 8-layer timeline (including 4K media).  With these standardized timelines that have been run thousands of times (see PPBM5 which has 1351 recorded results).  With all the data collected we can easily spot hardware bottlenecks.  Now these tests are not media verifying tests as that would be a never ending upgrade challenge.  The current three PPBM timelines unmodified run in CS6 and every CC version since.

P.S. this laptop is very similar to yours same GTX 765M, an i7-4700HQ, 24 GB of RAM, two SSD drives and Windows 8.1.  Here is the data that this computer scores in the Output.csv file for your comparison.   "77","204","57","748", Premiere Version:, 11.0.2.47,

• 25. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro

A man who is a builder of high-end computers for both editing and especially colorists says he needs to know the media being used as much as the software and hardware that will be other parts of the editing/colorist suite. H.264 and other long-GOP codecs are incredibly CPU/RAM intensive, and if they are prominent in the workflow, cores & threads become a major need. Intraframe codecs like DNxHD/R, ProRes, & Cineform require far less CPU/RAM cores & threads, but take more space and a bit more throughput on in/out.

4k & up Intraframe is one thing ... 4k & up interframe long-GOP is totally a bonkers thing to build for.

So yes, media matters!

Neil

1 person found this helpful
                                                          • 26. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                                            GermanTV Level 3

Thank you very much! The thought of inter- and intraframe codecs came also to mind - espeically thinking of the next camera to buy. Because on one hand it is nice to have e.g. a sony a6500 which has next to everything one can wish for but lacks intraframe codecs. So choosing the right camera is next to bulding the right machine an important decision.

But at the moment - sorry I haven't run the test yet - I would love to see my CPU or GPU or RAM going up to 100% because of the footage or the effects I used. But both are having a good time around 50% of usage. Again - all the footage is on SSD and the OS and Premiere are on a seperate SSD. So I'm a little bit confused where the bottle might neck...

• 27. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro

Running the latest PPBM test from The Tweakers Page would be your best bet. It's a package including a monitoringapp that logs computer activities during an export of a sequence that taxes every part of the system.

Comparisons of results from hundreds of other systems is the best tale of the build available.

And @Bill_Gehrke is the one running it.

Neil

• 28. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                                                scubamedia Level 1

I think I've the same problem: a lot of cores, quite fast SSD for cache files, well average (software RAID 10) for project files - but if I do a benchmark Test in Premiere (PPBM) the CPUs are utilizes by <20% and the disks feel also bored ;-( This is just the case after upgrade to the newest CC (feeling) - Looking for a solution and continuing reading this blog...

• 29. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro

Only one of the four tests in PPBM is 100% CPU intensive.  It is Step 3 the CPU only export of the MPEG2-DVD timeline.

• 30. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                                                    scubamedia Level 1

Thanks - well I knew that. Now I repeated that test and looked at the same time to task manager and processes ... Result: During this test: CPU running @2.18 GHz (much lower than the max of 3,1 GHz), CPU Utilization ~13% (2nd CPU not Utilized, only ~1-2 cores fully utilized (Hyperthreading enabled) - out of 24 physical), RAM 8 GB used (out of 128), no Disk activity visible -> looks like (SW) designed for me - still looking if I can improve it by changing config. Even I do not use SW rendering I think when solving this the overall system performance will go up...

PPBM SW Rendering.jpg

• 31. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro
                                                                      scubamedia Level 1

Solved!! I found out in the "General Settings" the config for "Otimize rendering for" was set to "Memory" -> changed it to "Performance" -> now it works - I am looking forward repeating now the benchmark :-)

• 32. Re: Low CPU usage on Adobe Premiere Pro

Wonderful!  But on your Task Manager screen I see 248 processes running, I have never seen a number that high.. You desperately need to tune that beast and when editing even half that many processes is excessive,  They are using stealing CPU cycles, of course I do not know if dual Xeons obey the same rules as I use for single CPU's..Go to your StartUp Tab and disable everything possible, no similarity but here is my desktop i-6950X

1 person found this helpful