1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 11:39 AM by Thrill Media

New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?

Thrill Media Level 2

Thanks for looking!
      Been using PP forever but this is my first build, quite honestly this is new territory for me so here goes. Hoping to build a 4K (DVX200) crushing machine.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i7-6850K 15M Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 2011-v3

ASUS X99-A LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GTX 1070

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400

EVGA 220-P2-1000-XR 80 PLUS Platinum 1000 W

C drive: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive

Video drives: (2) WD Black 5TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive

COntent and Cache drives (2) WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive

Corsair Graphite Series 760T Black Full Tower

*recommend RAID 0 controller for 5TB drives?

*recommend case fans and how many?

*PS Fan?

Does this look like a good setup? Am I missing anything? Could something be improved within reason $$ ?

Will the nVidia 1070 be able to drive two Dell 2407s @ 1920x1200 and a 4K monitor or will I need to add a second card?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
      Curtis

• 1. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
          NimChimpski Level 1

I have similar but: I have 3 x 1TB SSD in a RAID 0, 1TB for Adobe Cache and a 4TB WD as a backup for the RAID 0. Nvidea K4000 + Nvidea K5200.

It handles most that I throw at it but don't do much 4K.

• 3. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the main thing with any of those i7 cpu's is to overclock to 4ghz+. that requires a good cpu cooler and power supply. you list an excellent psu, but i don't see a cpu cooler. something like the noctua d15s is a good air cooler, it requires a second fan for higher overclocks. i like air as there are less potential problems, but if you are going for high to extreme overclock you might want a liquid cooler, something with a 280mm or 360mm rad.

cpu: unless you need 40 pcie lanes for 4-5 pcie cards, the i7-6800k (28 lanes) is a good way to save money. those 6 core cpu's are entry 4k, so if you are looking for more of a "crushing machine" you might want to look at the 8 core i7-6900k.

mbd: i would consider getting the refreshed x99 motherboards, like the x99-A II. one big change in the new versions are the way the pcie lanes split. you can look at the asus motherboard webpages and/or manuals to compare differences.

ram: get something closer to ddr4-3000 speeds.

gpu: if you plan on using lots and lots of gpu fx and lumetri, the gtx 1070 will help with those, otherwise the gtx 1060 will handle a decent amount of gpu fx and lumetri and save some money. in general the gtx 1070 is a better match with the 8 core cpu for premiere. i believe either of these cards will run your 3 monitor setup, but i cannot confirm first hand. if there was some problem, you could get a cheap second video card (if its another nvidia card, configure premiere not to use it with the nvidia control panel), or if one of the screens is for full screen playback you could look at a display out card from blackmagic, aja or others.

psu: excellent choice. if on budget and only doing light overclocking, the 850w G2 gold model will help cut costs.

the number of case fans will depend on if you are going for a quieter system as well as gpu fan style, cpu cooler, and overclocks. bigger fans like 140mm can be somewhat quieter while still moving a decent amount of air. some brands of fans will also be quieter or noisier and have different rpm's. noctua fans are some of the quietest, which is why their air coolers are also so quiet. if you are going for a quiet system with low to medium overclock on air, you may want to keep the top cover on to keep noise down. the higher the cpu overclock, the more air flow is required to keep the motherboard cool. so higher overclocks may need some fans in the top. with a liquid cooler as exhaust at the top, you might want to test the rear fan as intake. with an air cooler exhausting from the rear, you might want intakes at the top. if the gpu is using a blower style fan, like reference/founders edition design, then it will help keep the heat out of the computer case and may help lower the amount of fans needed or lower the fan speeds. the dual or triple fan gpu's will be quieter and some will even turn off their gpu fans if its not hot enough to need them, but they also dump most of the gpu heat into the case. if you run out of fan connections on the motherboard and don't want to use the case fan controller, you can use fan splitter adapters or the ASUS Fan Extension Card, if the motherboard supports it.

storage: the samsung pro is great. if you want to save some money, the evo may be enough. lots of small cache files will be difficult(slow) for hdd, where as ssd's will handle them really well. so you may want to place premiere cache on the os/apps drive. if you don't want to do that or need lots of cache space, you can get a second ssd for dedicated cache. doing 2x 5tb wd raid can be done with the motherboard and should work fine. if you are looking for max performance or just want a real raid card, then you should look at enterprise drives and an Areca raid card. with any raid, motherboard or raid card, you should have a backup of any important data on the raid. you would only need the raid to be large enough for active projects and media, then offload to a storage/backup drive when done. if you do not need 10tb of space for active projects, you could go with smaller hdd's to save money. if active project space is small, you could also look at some samsung 850 evo's. for the backup/storage drive, i would recommend a single archive/enterprise drive for better reliability. if the backup data is really important, you might want to keep another copy in a similar external drive.

• 4. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
              Thrill Media Level 2

Thanks so much for the very detailed response and suggestions! I am re-working my system specs now to see how I can make it work. I appreciate the help!

• 5. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My biggest suggestion is get modern and take advantage of the M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 socket on your motherboard for up to 32Gbit/sec blazing storage speeds with a Samsung 950 Pro drive.  Get one large enough for your current project and then when it is no longer "the current" project move it to your disk drives for archiving/backup.

• 6. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                  Thrill Media Level 2

Thanks Bill, are you talking about the "video" drive? I am not sure that would work, some of my clients take forever to finish a project and I would have to move the footage off then back on, off, on, etc, since I have multiple projects simultaneously. If they made... and I could afford a 2TB drive like that it would be more feasible, I don't really need the 10 TB of storage though since I backup current projects generally daily.

I was planning on using an M.2 drive for my "C" drive but the Newegg person didn't recommend it, not sure why and not sure if he knew what to recommend for a NLE since he was more gamer oriented.

• 7. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                    Thrill Media Level 2

OK... here's the newest setup... please let me know if it looks legit and everything works together.

That CPU cooler looks like a hog but it is supposed to fit.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

ASUS X99-A II LGA 2011-v3

Intel Core i7-6900K

MSI GeForce GTX 1070

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000

EVGA 120-G2-1000-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 1000 W

SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB (C drive)

2 - SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA (Content and Cache drives)

2 - WD Black 2TB (Video raid)

Corsair Graphite Series 760T Black Full Tower (w/2 140 mm fans in front and 1 140 rear)

2 - Corsair Air Series AF140 (for top and bottom)

Noctua NH-D15S 140mm SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler

Missing anything? Overkill anywhere?

Thanks for the feedback!

Curtis

• 8. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is a waste of money using the M.2 drive for the OS/Applications, Take the Newegg advice.  Sounds like you may be a customer for the Samsung 850 EVO 2 (or 4) TB drive

Forget about RAID and hard disk drives except for archiving and backup.

Of course there is another option that I use and that is putting all my project files and media on one of the portable Samsung T3 USB 3.0 SSD.  I use this with all my editing on this very laptop and have several of the earlier T1 models so switching projects is easy and almost instantaneous.

• 9. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?

i agree with bill and newegg about the m.2 for os/apps, its overkill. 500gb 850 evo is fine, or 256-512gb 850 pro.

using motherboard raid for the two 2tb WD drives should work fine, it will help speed them up. just make sure the computer is on a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that can tell windows to shutdown the computer if the battery is low and there is a backup of anything important on the raid. that is standard practice for any raid.

for the case and fans, i think that corsair 760t only has a dust filter on the front and psu. so if you place any fans at the top or bottom they may not have dust filters. the corsair website says it only supports 120mm fans at the bottom of the case.

• 10. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                          milkmade Level 1

not to hijack your thread but Ronin always gives amazing advice and since he's participating in this thread I would like to ask him his opninon as well..I hope you dont mind.

Ronin, I'm getting a 6800k and Asus x99-E (same thing as A-II mins the RGB lighting and U2 connector). I'm aiming to get 32gb right now and my idea was to get DDR4-3200. I noticed in your response above that you said to get DDR4-3000. Was that a minimum, or is 3200 overkill?

Also, I was planning on going Gkill but I'm having trouble figuring out if I should go with Ripjaw V or Trident Z?

• 11. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?

picking memory has several factors like mhz speeds, low timings for lower latency, price/sales, and for some folks the cosmetic look of the ram to match the looks of the build. its also a good idea to check the memory vs the motherboard approved memory list, or at least search the internet and/or pcpartpicker for others using the memory and motherboard together. i wouldn't have a problem with 3200mhz or higher if the price was cheaper or very close to other lower speed memory. if the fast memory speed wasn't stable with the system/cpu it could still be ran at a lower speed.

all memory now days is pretty decent, that's how gskill (a value brand) has become so popular. if memory was more troublesome we would probably be alot more picky about brands and memory kits. crucial and kingston have good reputations for reliable ram, over corsair, gskill and others. i think the trident z kits are suppose to be better quality than the ripjaw series.

the x99-a II appears to have much better pcie lane splitting for the 28 lane cpu's, as well as an extra pcie x16 size slot that supports gen 2.0 x1-x4 cards for a thunderbolt II card or something else, and appears to share the m.2 pcie lanes with the u.2 instead of any x16 slots. you might want to compare the motherboard manuals to check those differences and more.

• 12. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                              milkmade Level 1

I don't plan on using the the 3rd PCIE slot which is what the m.2 shares on the x99-E so I'm ok there. I will look at the A2 manual but its much more expensive for features I won't use. I've learned over the years I don't need to the top motherboard because I hardly use any of the features that make it expensive. 1 videocard, 2x SSD, 2xHDD. Pretty simple. goal is to overclock the 6800k to 4ghz which I think is doable.

As far as the ram, I was planning on some Ripjaw V's @ 16-16-16 but di not see them on the QVL list. The QVL list for the board I want only shows trident Z's and unfortunately they are 16-18-18 at the same 3200 speed. $160 for 32gb. DDR4-3000 prices are only like $15 cheaper so thats how I arrive at 3200,

QVL lists aren't the the law though? I'm seeing lots of people successfully using Ripjaw V's on x99 w/ broadwell-e..

• 13. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?

the x99-a II is considered entry level, and prices here are close to the x99-e. if asus motherboards are expensive where you are located you might want to check asrock motherboards for better prices.

the memory QVL is just what they have tested, they won't test every brand and model. memory is suppose to follow standards to make them compatible across all motherboards, but once in a while some motherboards and memory just don't play nice together. you could buy the memory and cross fingers it works or you could search specifically for the memory kit and the exact motherboard to see if people report them working or having issues.

• 14. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                  Thrill Media Level 2

Ronin and Bill,

Thanks a ton for all of your help, I have heeded your advice and feel like I'll have a better system all around because of it. Ordering now. Thanks so much!
                                  Curtis

• 15. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                    milkmade Level 1

I live in the US, A-2 is going for $250 and the E is going for $219. They are both entry level but the E even more so.

I did a comparison of the 2 on Asus's website and the only difference is the RGB lightening features and the U.2 connector. Otherwise identical. Neither of which I care about. Why not save $30 ?

• 16. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?

there are lots more differences between the two besides rgb and u.2. newegg has the x99-a ii for only $10 more at $229. newegg also has the ASRock X99 Taichi for $219, which is more like the x99-a ii but missing the gen 2.0 x16 size slot and instead of u.2 has another m.2. they are better value for $0-10, but its your call.

• 17. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                        milkmade Level 1

I appreciate your help. I have to buy from Amazon.com, have $1000+ in Gift cards/credit. I should have mentioned that, sorry.

Is there something about the E you dont like? The things that A-II has that the E doesnt via the Asus comparison tool on their website:

DDR4-3333 support (vs 3200)
                                        USB 3.1 A+C port (vs just C-port)
                                        U.2 connector

1 PCIE 2.0 lane x4 mode

RGB Lighting

I read about the way the A-II splits the 28 lanes vs E and its not relevant for my build as I only plan on using 1 PCIE 3.0 slot. And if I do get an m.2 drive, it will have full bandwidth as I don't plan on populating the PCIe x16_3rd slot that it shares with.

So I figured I'd get the E for $30 less, considering I won't use the features that differentiate it. If you still recommend the A-II or there is something I don't know about, I will buy it as I trust your judgement.

• 18. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?

i saw your message about shopping at amazon. you might want to look at the x99-a/usb 3.1 for $189. its not one of the broadwell-e refresh boards but asus website lists the new broadwell-e cpu's under the cpu support list. if the motherboard has been sitting on a shelf for a while it might need a bios update before the broadwell-e cpu's will work, luckily the asus board has a usb bios flashback feature so you shouldn't need a cpu to flash the bios.

• 19. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                            milkmade Level 1

I'm set on getting one of the new boards. I hate to be a pest but is there anything wrong with the E?

• 20. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?

i don't see anything "wrong" with it, its just bad value for the money.

• 21. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                milkmade Level 1

And is that because you can get other boards with more features for cheaper or the same price (outside of Amazon) ?

• 22. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?

im tapping out, i don't know how to explain it any further.

• 23. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                    milkmade Level 1

Sorry man. I really do appreciate the advice and value your opinion and recommendations. I just dont get why it's a bad value, the $189 price for the a/3//1 is on newegg. On amazon its $229, same price as E.

Anyway, Ill figure it out. Sorry once again

• 24. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                      milkmade Level 1

Going with the A-II. Thanks again Ronin

• 25. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                        Thrill Media Level 2

Hey again, I think I goofed on the ram. I bought 2 x 16gb but should I have purchased 4 x 8gb for the four channel performance?

Thanks!

• 26. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?

i would go for the quad channel

• 28. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                            Thrill Media Level 2

This *might* actually be my last question. My case - Corsair 760T has a Fan hi/lo switch that allows you to hook up fans and control their speed hi/lo (obviously) depending on workload. However my MB has enough fan connections to connect all of my fans and the MB controls the fan speed. Seems like a better way to go to let the MB control them rather than a hi/lo switch. Any disadvantage to that route? Does it tax the MB at all to do that?

Machine is up and running!!! Whoot Whoot! Just need to tie up some loose ends and do some cable management.

Thanks again for ALL of the help!
                                                            Curtis

• 29. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?

it wont tax the motherboard. it should give you more control than just high/low, to configure the fan noise to your taste.

• 30. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                                Thrill Media Level 2

Thanks Ronin,

That's what I figured... appreciate it.

C

• 31. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                                  yoRR-nl Level 1

I am very courious how your system is running and which specs you finally chosen? I have a similar setup and have to wait before it will be delivered.

My setup:

950 pro 512gb

850 pro 1TB

32gb ddr4 ram 2400

gtx 1070

I dont mind that the 950 is overkill. Its future proof and my system needs to handle my stuff for the next 4+ years!

• 32. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                                    Thrill Media Level 2

The machine is running great... couldn't be happier with the advice I received and followed! I have just been playing around with it so far. I tested 4K (UHD from my DVX200) Track01 - Long dissolve between footage, Tracks 2&3 - PIP all realtime playback and close to realtime renders, no heavy grading. Like I said, nothing serious... just playing around.

I have a shoot on Friday so I'll get to put it through it's paces more after that.

Asus x99 II A

nVidia 1070

32 G 3200 DDR4

3- 850Pro > C, D-data, E-cache

2- WD black Raid0 >4TB Video

1000W PS

Things I would mention is what I learned here. If you want to plan for 4K then you might want to move up to 8(or more) core processor, you didn't mention your MB... the K chip and the right MB would allow for overclocking, be sure to get a good match. No idea on the 950, depends on how your system is configured as to the benefit. Why not push up the speed on the RAM... just a couple more $$.

To be honest, the only thing I haven't upgraded yet is my program monitor to 4K (still HD). I wasn't really planning on getting a new machine *right now* so, I'll see if the 1070 can drive all three monitors then or if I'll need to add a second video card.

Best on your new machine!
                                                                    Thanks,

C

• 33. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                                      milkmade Level 1

Just to update you all on the build. Worked like  a dream for about 8 days. Motherboard died and took the cpu out with it.

I've been through three asus x99 A-IIs now, FYI Ronin. Thats something you couldn't know when recommending it but it has been nothing but problems. Been out a computer and unable to work for 4 days now. Shoulda went with the E

• 34. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?

if asus has bad QC on the more expensive board, why would you expect the lower end to be any better? if they had a bad run, which i doubt, it would be just luck that any other board worked. if you had 3 bad and at least one took out the cpu, that sounds more like overclocking is frying things and the voltage protection on the psu isn't working properly.

• 35. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                                          milkmade Level 1

The chip ran at 3.8ghz by default. I ran it that way for about 5 days. I OCed 200mhz to 4.0ghz changing the multiplier to from the default 38 to 40 and Temps didn't even change. I benchmarked it for a day, stressed it out,  gamed and then worked on it for additional 4 days, all with great Temps and rock solid performance. Day 10 was  more of the same, light gaming, some work, roughly 4-5 hours on the computer. All rock solid temps and performance. Took a nap for an hour, woke up computer was dead. Red led on motherboard. Later discovered dead cpu and motherboard.

To clarify I've had 2 bad and am awaiting the 3rd. The 1st motherboard took out my cpu, awaiting rma from Intel. The 2nd motherboard came with 2 slightly bent pins, don't know if I should risk that.

In my research since I've had this issue I've found 5 people on the internet with the EXACT same issue as me with the same motherboard model and a broadwell-e family of cpus: Dead motherboard after working fine for a period of time, and taking the cpu out with it.

My psu is an evga supersonic 650w g2. It came highly recommended, you're saying that it's also the cause?

I feel like this is a witch hunt.

• 36. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?

there is no witch hunt. i just found it unlikely asus had a bad batch of motherboards and gave another possible explanation of the problem. now that you have clarified it was only one motherboard that fried, its possible there was a defective or poor quality power related part on the motherboard that fried and took the cpu with it. the second motherboard having bent pins might have been a returned motherboard that was re-stocked as as new or held for replacements. i would have sent it back too.

the evga g2 should be a good psu, but i don't know exactly how well the 650w model performs with overlcocking and what kind of protection is built in. higher watt psu's are recommend for high overclocks, as they have cleaner, more stable power, and usually better voltage protection to prevent damage to other components like the cpu.

any overlclocking places the mbd/cpu at a higher risk of failure, as its pushing power and heat higher than designed for by intel. its the leading cause of motherboard failures. so there will always be internet posts of dead systems after overclocking, and many that deny any overclocking to stay covered by warranties. finding alot of internet posts of failures with a specific motherboard often just means that its a popular motherboard that alot of people bought.

• 37. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                                              milkmade Level 1

I understand but I didn't push it. I changed the multiplier 2 notches higher. No extra volts were needed and it ran the same Temps as it did before, 40C. I'm confident it was a faulty motherboard.

I'm looking at the asus strix model now. It's $100 more with built in wifi, Amazon is making up the difference. The audio is the only difference, aside from the layout of the board. Hopefully I don't have to reinstall windows

• 38. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                                                milkmade Level 1

Up and running on the new strix board...Didn't have to reinstall windows or anything..And I already had the generic audio driver installed from nvidia, I don't typically like using the fancy control ones, so it's pretty much an identical board, minus the aesthetics.

The PCIE layout is identical..So for $100 more you get bluetooth, wifi, aura effects all over the board and a different sound chip.

Asus is funny

• 39. Re: New desktop build-mind looking it over and offering advice?
                                                                                  Thrill Media Level 2

Well... so much for a smooth running machine! I planned on editing all day today and when I came into the office the machine was off, weird... I generally leave it running. So, I tried to fire it up, it started then immediately shut down then restarted but it never gets to POST... it just runs but nothing on screen.

Troubleshooting: I pulled the battery from the MoBo, then removed the RAM, then changed out video cards and always the same thing... fires up, immediately restarts then nothing... just sits there running with nothing on screen and no POST.

I edited a LOT of 4K layers last week on a music video and it ran like a charm with no issues. I OC'd it using the ASUS software 28% and that seemed just fine... higher values caused a restart so I was happy with 28%. Temps were well within range.

Any ideas where to start? Hey, hijacker milkmade , is this what happened to yours? I've got some serious work coming and REALLY need to get this thing running ASAP.

I'd contact ASUS if they were ANY help at all.

Starting to sweat here... thanks for any help you may offer.

Curtis

1 2 Previous Next